Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192506 - 11/12/15 08:16 PM How to Cut your weight by more than half.
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
This is why I am switching to metric....
I like to look at the heaviest stuff I carry because more than 80% of the weight comes from 20% of the items. (Some of you might recognize that as Parado's Principle.)
Some time ago I set my limit for my Sleeping Bag at one Kilo and my current 3 season (High Tail It by NF) is just a bit less. Both tent (Shelter It by Mountainsmith) and my pack also weigh less than a kilo. I can easily get by on one kilo of food per day and eat well. My heaviest rain jacket (Patigonia NO2 and rain pants together weigh a half kilo. The maximum I would ever carry (on a long summer trip, or shorter winter trip) is 10 kilo.
It just seems to work out to be nice round numbers in kilometers. And besides, it is more the international standard than the other system, what ever that is called. (Imperial? English?). Of course some mocho guys might not like the sound of bragging about carrying 23 kilos!

So even at the maximum essentials
Sleeping Bag 1
Mattress .5
Tent 1
Pack 1
Food for 3 days 3
Stove & Cook set .5
Raingear .5
Winter Dn Jacket .5
8 Kilos for the heaviest stuff....

What do you think? Should we all switch to metric?
I found Gasoline is much cheaper in Canada because they use the metric system!
Only $1.37….wow.
Instead of carrying 22 pounds you will only be carrying 10 kilos. Less than half as much as when you were using the other system!

#192507 - 11/12/15 08:33 PM Re: How to Cut your weight by more than half. [Re: Jim M]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
lol

10 kilograms weigh 22.5 lbs., not bad at all if that's your total pack weight!

Please note, however, that if we are going to discuss the merits (or otherwise) of the metric system, it should take place in the "Off Topic" section. I will move this thread there if people want to discuss this issue.

Edited by OregonMouse (11/12/15 08:36 PM)

#192512 - 11/13/15 06:52 AM Re: How to Cut your weight by more than half. [Re: OregonMouse]
bluefish Offline

My average day on the trail I'd do 20! Just like those through hikers. (Though they're doing 35+ per day and walking way over 3,000!) Carry less and go farther without spending money or training.

#192515 - 11/13/15 01:32 PM Re: How to Cut your weight by more than half. [Re: Jim M]
Aragon Offline

Loc: Central California Coast
Originally Posted By Jim M
This is why I am switching to metric....
I like to look at the heaviest stuff I carry because more than 80% of the weight comes from 20% of the items. (Some of you might recognize that as Parado's Principle.)
Some time ago I set my limit for my Sleeping Bag at one Kilo and my current 3 season (High Tail It by NF) is just a bit less. Both tent (Shelter It by Mountainsmith) and my pack also weigh less than a kilo. I can easily get by on one kilo of food per day and eat well. My heaviest rain jacket (Patigonia NO2 and rain pants together weigh a half kilo. The maximum I would ever carry (on a long summer trip, or shorter winter trip) is 10 kilo.
It just seems to work out to be nice round numbers in kilometers. And besides, it is more the international standard than the other system, what ever that is called. (Imperial? English?). Of course some mocho guys might not like the sound of bragging about carrying 23 kilos!

So even at the maximum essentials
Sleeping Bag 1
Mattress .5
Tent 1
Pack 1
Food for 3 days 3
Stove & Cook set .5
Raingear .5
Winter Dn Jacket .5
8 Kilos for the heaviest stuff....

What do you think? Should we all switch to metric?
Only $1.37….wow.
Instead of carrying 22 pounds you will only be carrying 10 kilos. Less than half as much as when you were using the other system!

"Pareto"...

#192568 - 11/23/15 01:44 PM Re: How to Cut your weight by more than half. [Re: Jim M]
Zuuk Offline

Loc: NB, Canada
Originally Posted By Jim M

Only $1.37….wow.

If only a litre was as large as an imperial gallon.

Where I live, I can either fill up in Canada, or drive for an hour (30 mins both ways) to cross the US border and fill up there. I still would save a little money on gas purchasing it in the US, even when taking and hour's driving worth into consideration. I know people who do this regularly, but for me, my hour is better spent on something else other than driving to save a couple dollars. $1.37 sounds good until you read the "per litre" after it. Here it's now down to just under $1/L, and still cheaper in the US. Most of it is taxes.

I know for me, growing up using the metric system, I sometimes get mixed up with distances, and have to do the math (1 mile = 1.6 kilometres). Funny though, I grew up using pounds for weight, but always to the nearest pound, so I don't know ounces. So if someone told me they had a 50lb pack, I know exactly what that is, but if they said they had a 30 kilo pack, well then I gotta go figure that out with math again... think it's 2.2 lbs per kilo... 66 pounds... I'll carry the other one.

Either way you look at it, my knees don't care per pound or per kilo, just as long as it's light enough.

#192588 - 11/24/15 12:55 PM Re: How to Cut your weight by more than half. [Re: Jim M]
ohiohiker Offline

Loc: Ohio
I dunno... I used to weigh my pack in pounds, but ever since I switched to metric grams, my base pack weight is now in the thousands! crazy

#192624 - 11/27/15 12:51 AM Re: How to Cut your weight by more than half. [Re: Jim M]
Elijah21 Offline

Been on the diet for one week now and am on my 3rd fast day. I have already lost 2lb so far which is amazing because I’ve tried so many diets over the past few years, which work while you’re on them but as soon as you stop the weight just piles back on.

#192773 - 12/04/15 02:11 AM Re: How to Cut your weight by more than half. [Re: Elijah21]
AMZSow Offline

yes, we should switch to metric xD

#192790 - 12/04/15 01:39 PM Re: How to Cut your weight by more than half. [Re: AMZSow]

As mentioned before, any further discussion on the metric system or English vs. Metric should take place in Off Topic. Thank you!

Edited by OregonMouse (12/04/15 01:45 PM)

#192848 - 12/08/15 03:07 AM Re: How to Cut your weight by more than half. [Re: Jim M]
AMZSow Offline

it's very easy to convert to metrics, just use google lol

#192849 - 12/08/15 12:42 PM Re: How to Cut your weight by more than half. [Re: AMZSow]

Locking this topic. Most of it belongs in the "Off Topic" section. If you want to continue this discussion, please start a new thread there.

Edited by OregonMouse (12/08/15 12:43 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum