Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192491 - 11/11/15 03:33 PM Where would visit? (Anywhere in the world)
LarryYT Offline

Hi all,

I am a long time lurker, and finally decided to make an account. I have been thinking about making a trip in the next year or two, so I am trying to narrow down some places. I saw on a thread a while back about going to western China, and that has really stuck in my head since it would be more in my budget.

I saw Salewa is doing a lot of contests: Those places have really peaked my interest as well. I have entered, and hopefully have a shot at it. Does anyone have experience at any of the places that they're offering?

I look forward to hearing your responses, and would love any first hand feedback.

thanks!

Edited by OregonMouse (11/11/15 03:44 PM)
Edit Reason: remove commercial link

#192498 - 11/12/15 10:07 AM Re: Where would visit? (Anywhere in the world) [Re: LarryYT]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Based on recent events, not sure of availability, but it is on my bucket list to make a pilgrimage to Everest Base Camp. I think REI or one of the other outfitter stores runs an annual trip - small fortune but a trip of a lifetime...

#192500 - 11/12/15 01:37 PM Re: Where would visit? (Anywhere in the world) [Re: dylansdad77]
LarryYT Offline

Originally Posted By dylansdad77
Based on recent events, not sure of availability, but it is on my bucket list to make a pilgrimage to Everest Base Camp. I think REI or one of the other outfitter stores runs an annual trip - small fortune but a trip of a lifetime...

Indeed, I would love to make my way up to that.

#192503 - 11/12/15 02:50 PM Re: Where would visit? (Anywhere in the world) [Re: LarryYT]
bluefish Offline

Milford Track, New Zealand

#192504 - 11/12/15 03:04 PM Re: Where would visit? (Anywhere in the world) [Re: bluefish]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
We've done two trips to the Andes in Peru--and would go back in a heartbeat.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#192516 - 11/13/15 07:06 PM Re: Where would visit? (Anywhere in the world) [Re: bluefish]
LarryYT Offline

Originally Posted By bluefish
Milford Track, New Zealand

my god, you weren't kidding... http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/assets/Im...nly-980x300.jpg Thanks for the advice.

#192518 - 11/13/15 09:29 PM Re: Where would visit? (Anywhere in the world) [Re: LarryYT]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I always have wanted to return to Norway, which I visited in 2000, and hike in their mountains. However, I'm now getting a bit too long in the tooth and creaky for that sort of thing. I'm still doing short, snail's pace trips in our local mountains and will continue to do so as long as I can put one foot in front of another!

Edited by OregonMouse (11/13/15 09:31 PM)

#192520 - 11/13/15 11:15 PM Re: Where would visit? (Anywhere in the world) [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I live in the western USA. Therefore I have so many jaw-droppingly wonderful places to explore within 1000 miles of my home that it seems superfluous to seek further afield until I've done full justice to my own locality. And, of course, I could never do adequate justice to all of it in one lifetime.

For instance, I've only really spent a couple of weeks in California's Sierra Nevada national parks and wildernesses. Shameful! The Canadian Rockies? Other than a few trips, I haven't even scratched the surface! Washington State's North Cascades? Barely looked into them, yet! And as an Oregon native, I haven't quite seen all the best places in my native state yet... and I'm 61!

I believe the French call it "an embarrassment of riches".

#192525 - 11/14/15 04:52 PM Re: Where would visit? (Anywhere in the world) [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Offline

Great thoughts, Aimless! I second all you've said.

In the interest of disclosure, both of us live in the Portland, OR metropolitan area (although different parts of it), with access to the most scenic parts of both Washington and Oregon. Since I have family in the Seattle area, I've spent more time in the Washington Cascades.

Edited by OregonMouse (11/14/15 04:54 PM)

#192531 - 11/16/15 12:43 PM Re: Where would visit? (Anywhere in the world) [Re: OregonMouse]
tramp Offline

Loc: WV
A free Tibet. No politics just would like to wander around freely.

#192630 - 11/29/15 08:02 AM Re: Where would visit? (Anywhere in the world) [Re: LarryYT]
Enlen Xu Offline

zhangjiajie,China

Edited by Enlen Xu (11/29/15 08:04 AM)

#192759 - 12/02/15 11:15 AM Re: Where would visit? (Anywhere in the world) [Re: LarryYT]
Jackamo Offline

Loc: Central Oregon
I've been dreaming about exploring the Black Forest in Germany for the last few years. After doing some research I found its much smaller than I originally thought, about 90 mi x 30 mi, so I could see a lot in a week, or have a pretty comprehensive expedition in a couple weeks.

#192761 - 12/02/15 03:17 PM Re: Where would visit? (Anywhere in the world) [Re: Jackamo]
OregonMouse Offline

I've done a few hikes in the Black Forest. I personally prefer the alpine to trails through forest with few or no views, but YMMV and all that!

#192776 - 12/04/15 02:46 AM Re: Where would visit? (Anywhere in the world) [Re: OregonMouse]
AMZSow Offline

i want to go to Andes in Peru but have no money at the moment

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum