Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192290 - 10/22/15 12:21 AM Overnighters without any hot food or drink?
Aragon Offline

Loc: Central California Coast
I'm curious if many of you go on overnighters where you leave the stoves and thermoses at home?

Now that I have given up caffeine and because I hike in a very mild climate I thought about planning some overnighters that don't include any hot food or drink.

Simpler, lighter, etc. What do you all do? Thanks...

#192291 - 10/22/15 08:22 AM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: Aragon]
Zuuk Offline

Loc: NB, Canada
I think I'd miss it too much. I like a nice hot soothing beverage in the evening, whether it's coffee, tea or hot chocolate. Plus a nice hot breakfast in the early morning is nice too, especially if the weather turns chilly or wet.

#192294 - 10/22/15 12:45 PM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: Zuuk]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I eat a cold breakfast unless it's a layover day--in the latter case I make a cup of hot tea. Generally it's cold cereal (muesli or Grapenuts) with extra nuts and freeze-dried berries (or fresh in season) added, plus about 1/4 cup dried milk. I add water, stir, and eat. Although I consider myself a coffee addict at home, I get along fine without it on backpacking trips.

One reason I go without coffee when backpacking is that dried milk heated in coffee tastes terrible (to me,anyway) and leaves a mess to clean up. With tea, all I need to do is rinse out the pot with no more than 1/4 cup water. With water (which is what I drink most of the time), I don't even need to do that, or use the pot at all. The cereal is in a plastic bag, so when I'm done there's just a tiny amount of garbage and my spoon to lick and rinse.

I have, a few times, eaten cold, uncooked dinners. Usually that has been when I'm too tired to think about breaking out my stove. At least once, I just ate a couple of cereal bars plus a little dried fruit and nuts (my normal "lunch") and then crawled into my sleeping bag. There are some foods that can be rehydrated with cold water, although you may have to start at noon and carry the water for the rest of the day. You'll want to experiment at home with the specific foods before trying this out on the trail.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/22/15 12:53 PM)

#192296 - 10/22/15 02:00 PM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: OregonMouse]
Aragon Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I eat a cold breakfast unless it's a layover day--in the latter case I make a cup of hot tea. Generally it's cold cereal (muesli or Grapenuts) with extra nuts and freeze-dried berries (or fresh in season) added, plus about 1/4 cup dried milk. I add water, stir, and eat. Although I consider myself a coffee addict at home, I get along fine without it on backpacking trips.

One reason I go without coffee when backpacking is that dried milk heated in coffee tastes terrible (to me,anyway) and leaves a mess to clean up. With tea, all I need to do is rinse out the pot with no more than 1/4 cup water. With water (which is what I drink most of the time), I don't even need to do that, or use the pot at all. The cereal is in a plastic bag, so when I'm done there's just a tiny amount of garbage and my spoon to lick and rinse.

I have, a few times, eaten cold, uncooked dinners. Usually that has been when I'm too tired to think about breaking out my stove. At least once, I just ate a couple of cereal bars plus a little dried fruit and nuts (my normal "lunch") and then crawled into my sleeping bag. There are some foods that can be rehydrated with cold water, although you may have to start at noon and carry the water for the rest of the day. You'll want to experiment at home with the specific foods before trying this out on the trail.

Thank you. Good food for thought...

Do you take another form of caffeine to avoid (actual) withdrawal while on a hike if you don't drink caffeinated beverages?

#192303 - 10/23/15 09:43 AM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: Aragon]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I don't drink coffee normally, so don't drink it backpacking as well. And, although a nice cup of hot cocoa, or herbal tea is a nice comfort, there have been times when I don't want to cook. The easiest thing for me is summer sausage, cheese, and bagels. For an overnighter, I can easily just bring those three and not get food "bored" like if I was eating the same thing for several days. There is also beef jerky, and lots of nuts. The last couple trips I took this summer, it seemed my body craved fat more than anything. The fatty summer sausage proved the favorite. I have also done a foot long sub from subway for dinner, or even bring a an MRE or 2 with a heater packet. MREs are heavy when you compare its weight for several days against freeze dried and a stove. But for an overnighter....A stove and fuel are pretty heavy. Plus, I also break down my MREs and only bring what I absolutely need. I can also get MRE parts without having to buy a whole meal. I like the peanut butter packets, cheese packets (jalapeno cheese is the clear favorite), jelly packets, whole wheat bread, crackers, etc. In fact, some of those parts are the best option for lunches on multi-day trips.

Now that I am thinking about it... I wonder if I could reconstitute a freeze dried meal with an MRE heater? Just add water to both of them. The whole west coast could mandate that for backpackers to help prevent any type of flame. It might also be lighter.

#192310 - 10/23/15 04:22 PM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: finallyME]
Aragon Offline

Thanks a lot for your comments. I'm so new to hiking (other than dayhiking) that I really don't know what's typically done and not done.

Yesterday morning I got up and had a quart of icewater, 3 granola bars and 2 bananas for breakfast.

At lunch I had two apples, some gorp, some pretzels and some beef jerky along with another quart of ice water.

Then I went for a fairly rigorous fitness walk of about 8 miles. For dinner I had some fresh vegs, cheese, kippers, crackers and some olives with Poptarts for dessert.

It was a test but I was satisfied. I think it will be nice to live "lite" on overnighters. Leave the stove and thermoses at home. Thanks again.

#192311 - 10/23/15 08:25 PM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: Aragon]
bluefish Offline

Some of my favorites- Peanut butter, Cashew butter, Nutella, summer sausage, bacon jerky (5 stars for the Oberto), sharp cheddar, stroopwaffles- (Honey Stingers), fruit leather, flour tortillas to make roll up sandwiches with some of the above. That's a short list. Look at the Stoveless thread a few months back in this forum. Very similar with a lot of good feedback.
Sounds like you'll do very well. Sounds like you need a fair amount of calories, so pay attention to staying with foods that are high in them. Pop tarts are good!!!! I never eat them at home, but have enjoyed them at the campsite lots. I was thrown a little by the syntax of your next to last sentence for a moment- I thought you had olives with Pop Tarts for dessert. I was thinking must be some California thing.... grin

#192312 - 10/24/15 10:52 AM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: Aragon]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:
thermoses?
I think that's the first time that word has been mentioned on this forum. grin This site started out as an ultralight backpacking site and that's how I treat all my hikes/camps.
So, I don't bother with cooking or hot anything unless it's really cold out. It just means more to carry. IF I do heat anything, it's in single servings and the smallest package I can get away with. I'll usually snack and graze all day and lots of good things to eat have already been mentioned.

#192319 - 10/25/15 03:34 PM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: Aragon]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By Aragon
I'm curious if many of you go on overnighters where you leave the stoves and thermoses at home?

Here in the Ozarks you can make a small fire with twigs to cook with so you don't really need a stove or fuel and there are places and times when you can do this out west too.

A few tea bags, or even hot cocoa mix, doesn't weigh much at all and water you get and use somewhere close to camp doesn't weigh anything on the trail. And if water is plentiful where you'll camp you don't have to carry as much while on the trail to get there, so adding a bit of food to your pack that you can prepare with just hot water can still be pretty light.

In fact, it can be lighter. Oatmeal made with Nido and freeze dried fruit is pretty darn light, and tasty too. So are some of those dehydrated meals.

I'd not take hot food out of the mix in the quest to go lighter. I'd look into how it could help with that.

"You want to go where?"

#192321 - 10/25/15 04:51 PM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: Dryer]
Aragon Offline

Originally Posted By Dryer
Quote:
thermoses?
I think that's the first time that word has been mentioned on this forum. This site started out as an ultralight backpacking site and that's how I treat all my hikes/camps.
So, I don't bother with cooking or hot anything unless it's really cold out. It just means more to carry. IF I do heat anything, it's in single servings and the smallest package I can get away with. I'll usually snack and graze all day and lots of good things to eat have already been mentioned.

Grazing is how I get my calories on some fairly long/strenuous dayhikes as well. I was just curious if it was also common for overnighters or longer backpacking adventures?

I asked about the thermoses because there are some very light ones out there and because I'm curious how daily coffee/tea/soda/etc. drinkers avoid beginning the withdrawal process out on the route if they don't take a stove and the rest of the gear?

#192323 - 10/25/15 11:18 PM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: Aragon]
Dryer Offline

Nope, never carried a thermos, ever. I typically change all my dietary habits when doing big miles. I drink gallons of coffee here at home, but never crave it on the trail. If I had to have coffee (and I've made it plenty of times), instant works for me. Super light, no trash, no mess, good hot or not. There are some pretty good instants out there, but plain old Folgers coffee crystals works for me. I will sometimes bring a 1 Pt. Platypus bag with my favorite spirits for an evening nightcap.

#192327 - 10/26/15 08:46 AM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: Dryer]
Zuuk Offline

I find when I'm out, I get much better rest that when I'm at home, which I believe is from the fresh air. I don't feel a need for a morning coffee to get kick started. Come to think of it, I can't remember a time when I've been out without coffee, tea or soda when I've really craved for one or had withdrawals.

Only time I bring a thermos is sometimes on a day hunt, and have a cup of hot coffee with a sandwich for lunch, and maybe a sip when I get back to the vehicle; although that's hunting, not hiking.

#192329 - 10/26/15 01:35 PM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: Aragon]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By Aragon

I asked about the thermoses because there are some very light ones out there and because I'm curious how daily coffee/tea/soda/etc. drinkers avoid beginning the withdrawal process out on the route if they don't take a stove and the rest of the gear?

Those truly addicted to the hot cup of joe will bring a light stove. Those just needing caffeine will get from other sources: Iced coffee (instant coffee reconstituted cold), snacks with added caffeine, or some people will even take no-doze.

#192340 - 10/27/15 02:23 AM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: Dryer]
Aragon Offline

Originally Posted By Dryer
Nope, never carried a thermos, ever. I typically change all my dietary habits when doing big miles. I drink gallons of coffee here at home, but never crave it on the trail. If I had to have coffee (and I've made it plenty of times), instant works for me. Super light, no trash, no mess, good hot or not. There are some pretty good instants out there, but plain old Folgers coffee crystals works for me. I will sometimes bring a 1 Pt. Platypus bag with my favorite spirits for an evening nightcap.

It's not about craving coffee. It's about going through caffeine withdrawal when a regular (even heavy) coffee drinker abruptly stops consuming caffeine.

I have never heard of a heavy coffee drinker being about to stop without experiencing fairly serious fatigue and headaches along with other problems in some cases for at least a few days. Not ever.

Edited by Aragon (10/27/15 02:24 AM)

#192341 - 10/27/15 05:17 AM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: Aragon]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I drink coffee everyday, so do some friends. None of us carry a thermos. We usually just make it at some point, but not always. None of us had withdrawal symptoms that we ever noticed. Caffeine comes from many sources. If one is truly worried, the lightest and easiest would be caffeine pills.

I mostly hike without a stove, this doesnt mean I dont cook. Like others, a twiggy fire is quick and easy. I also backpack in all 4 seasons. Hot food is nice sometimes. No cook food is not necessarily a lighter option either, like everything it depends. There are some who like it, some who dont. HYOH

Edited by DTape (10/27/15 05:23 AM)

#192353 - 10/28/15 04:35 PM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: Aragon]
billstephenson Offline

Quote:
I'm curious how daily coffee/tea/soda/etc. drinkers avoid beginning the withdrawal process out on the route if they don't take a stove and the rest of the gear?

I don't get withdrawal symptoms either, but I know people who do. I have one mug of coffee in the morning and that's all I can drink. Anymore than that, just a couple sips more, and I get the jitters from it and I don't like that at all.

After that one mug of coffee I take a couple Emergen-C vitamin packets and those instantly mellow out the coffee rush and I feel pretty good and ready to go.

Thinking about it, the Emergen-C vitamin packets might be something to consider bringing for your UL overnighters. I bring those on all my trips.

"You want to go where?"

#192356 - 10/28/15 09:50 PM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: billstephenson]
Aragon Offline

Originally Posted By billstephenson
Quote:
I'm curious how daily coffee/tea/soda/etc. drinkers avoid beginning the withdrawal process out on the route if they don't take a stove and the rest of the gear?

I don't get withdrawal symptoms either, but I know people who do. I have one mug of coffee in the morning and that's all I can drink. Anymore than that, just a couple sips more, and I get the jitters from it and I don't like that at all.

After that one mug of coffee I take a couple Emergen-C vitamin packets and those instantly mellow out the coffee rush and I feel pretty good and ready to go.

Thinking about it, the Emergen-C vitamin packets might be something to consider bringing for your UL overnighters. I bring those on all my trips.

That's remarkable. I wasn't aware that was possible for a daily consumer of caffeine. Obviously it depends on the person and their intake, but before this thead I had never heard of any daily consumer of caffeine who did not experience withdrawal symptoms when giving it up.

#192357 - 10/29/15 12:35 AM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: Aragon]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
When not hiking I drink a grand total of one mug of coffee per day. When I backpack I drink a packet of Emergen-C every morning, but no coffee. I do not experience any withdrawal symptoms that I can notice. I have no idea if the Emergen-C can claim any credit for that fact. It is simply what I do and what happens.

#192358 - 10/29/15 06:04 AM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: Aragon]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
I drink 8 to 10 cups of coffee per day at home. When backpacking I seldom drink coffee and I have no problem with withdrawal. I have even had days at home where for some reason I did not have coffee and I miss it but no withdrawal.

#192360 - 10/29/15 09:04 AM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: Aragon]
Dryer Offline

I drink coffee all morning and sometimes in the afternoon and have never had a withdrawal symptom. My wife does, who drinks a third of what I do. Depends on the person, I guess.

#192361 - 10/29/15 10:11 AM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: Dryer]
Zuuk Offline

When I was a child, I used to have a can of Coca-Cola in my school lunch every day, and usually had one after school when I got home. I would also have at least one can each day on the weekend. I was so active back then that I never really worried about it, however, in my early 20's when I started slowing down due to university and work, I noticed the weight starting to pack on, so I tried to stop drinking Coke. Well, the withdrawals were not fun as I had severe headaches, lack of concentration, and a bit of the shakes. I was at the point where if I didn't have a can of Coke a day, they would start. I ended up getting off the soda & caffeine, and now I do drink coffee. Some days I'll have 2-4 cups, other days I'll have nothing, but I don't have any withdrawal symptoms when I don't have any. I've gone for a week or more with no caffeinated drinks and no problem.

The only thing that bothers me now is if I have too much caffeine. Maybe I'm just getting older.

#192363 - 10/29/15 03:59 PM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: Zuuk]
Aragon Offline

Originally Posted By Zuuk
When I was a child, I used to have a can of Coca-Cola in my school lunch every day, and usually had one after school when I got home. I would also have at least one can each day on the weekend. I was so active back then that I never really worried about it, however, in my early 20's when I started slowing down due to university and work, I noticed the weight starting to pack on, so I tried to stop drinking Coke. Well, the withdrawals were not fun as I had severe headaches, lack of concentration, and a bit of the shakes. I was at the point where if I didn't have a can of Coke a day, they would start. I ended up getting off the soda & caffeine, and now I do drink coffee. Some days I'll have 2-4 cups, other days I'll have nothing, but I don't have any withdrawal symptoms when I don't have any. I've gone for a week or more with no caffeinated drinks and no problem.

The only thing that bothers me now is if I have too much caffeine. Maybe I'm just getting older.

That's very interesting. I gave up sodas a number of years ago and I had headaches upon waking up in the morning for 3-4 days and while exercising. That was about it.

I gave up coffee (I drank a single 16 ounce cup of black coffee every morning) fairly recently. Same headaches although less severe but they lasted for about two weeks. I also had less energy for those two weeks -- it got progressively better during those two weeks.

It feels very good to be caffeine-free now. I don't have cravings for coffee in the least. I really disliked the idea of having a cup of coffee every morning "just to get even." That's junkie stuff and I'm glad I'm through with it.

Edited by Aragon (10/29/15 04:00 PM)

#192366 - 10/29/15 08:49 PM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: Aragon]
billstephenson Offline

Quote:
It feels very good to be caffeine-free now. I don't have cravings for coffee in the least. I really disliked the idea of having a cup of coffee every morning "just to get even." That's junkie stuff and I'm glad I'm through with it.

For me, coffee and beer are routines more than habits, and I like them. But I'm kind of picky about both and it's easy for me to turn them down.

The coffee I drink when I backpack I had to be more flexible about. I spent a lot of time fiddling with different ways to make it, but I found what I really wanted was a fast and easy cup of coffee that wasn't awful.

That's one of the few ways I'm actually toughing it out when I backpack blush

"You want to go where?"

#192368 - 10/30/15 07:40 AM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: billstephenson]
Zuuk Offline

In the back of my mind I keep thinking to myself, forget the coffee; just pack chocolate covered coffee beans. But then I realize I'd probably eat them all in the first mile.

#192369 - 10/30/15 07:59 AM Re: Overnighters without any hot food or drink? [Re: Zuuk]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
My daughter gave me some chocolate covered coffee beans for Christmas several years back and they were good so I kept nibbling throughout the day. That night I went to bed and was so wired that sleep was not even a remote possibility. Good caffeine boost but they are stronger than liquid coffee. Do not eat them after lunch.

Originally Posted By Zuuk
In the back of my mind I keep thinking to myself, forget the coffee; just pack chocolate covered coffee beans. But then I realize I'd probably eat them all in the first mile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum