Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192189 - 10/08/15 02:14 AM One Man UL Tent options
The Doctor Offline

I am section hiking the AT in late October-early November. I am likely doing Springer to Franklin,NC in about a 10 day period. Last minute my husband isn't coming, so I am scrambling to get a ultralight 1 man tent (amongst other panics about solo hiking).

I've done just a tarp with some trekking poles on a section in Tennessee and it was awful (black flys galore) and bivys are a bit confining. I don't think I want to do try hammocks either as I get cold very easily.

I was thinking about the Nemo Veda 1P, any thoughts? I want to keep the weight as low as possible without spending more than about $300. Also I am very tall, so I want some extra height to sit up.

Plus any other solo hiking nuggets of wisdom would be great smile

#192192 - 10/08/15 02:34 AM Re: One Man UL Tent options [Re: The Doctor]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I'm not familiar with the AT, but I'd have to think by late October you wouldn't have much trouble with flys or bugs there. Here in the Ozarks the bugs are usually pretty much hunkered down by then.

The Nemo Veda 1P looks pretty nice to me, and the few reviews I read at REI on were all good. I use a homemade tent that's similar in design and how it's pitched and I love it.

"You want to go where?"

#192194 - 10/08/15 07:25 AM Re: One Man UL Tent options [Re: The Doctor]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
For $315, you can get the Fly Creek Platinum 1 (2013 version), which weighs right at 2 pounds (listed trail weight is 27 ounces; packed weight is 33 ounces; Veda is 33 and 39.) I don't know how the specs compare, since I only looked at the Veda on one retail website that was somewhat short on detail. I'm not sure if the Fly Creek Platinum is available at retailers; I found and ordered mine on the Big Agnes website.

Several differences I noticed right off: 1) the Veda appears to be side-entry, while the Fly Creek is end entry. However, the Veda's treeking pole pitch looks like it blocks much of the door, which could render the side opening much harder to use. 2) I couldn't tell from the photo for sure, but does the Veda have a "rainbow" door? If so, that means the door is hinged on the bottom, and drops onto the floor, where you get to crawl over it to get in or out; the Fly Creek is side-hinged. 3) The description says the Veda has two vestibules and two doors, but I could only make out 1 door in the picture - without a second opening of some kind that accesses it, the second vestibule is rendered mostly useless. 4) I couldn't tell - is the Veda single or double wall? If it's a single-wall, regardless of how well-ventilated it is, you can't take the rainfly off on a hot summer evening. That means heat will build up inside the tent. The Fly Creek is double wall, with nearly all mesh interior, so you can leave the fly off and eliminate the heat build up.

Although it's not free-standing, the Fly Creek uses a single hubbed pole, which means that the support is spread along the whole tent with a tensioned pole; the Nemo has only two poles, which support the front wall. Having never used the Nemo, I can't state this for sure, but it seems that the Fly Creek might be more stable in a high wind; the Nemo's stability might be affected by your ability to adequately stake it out (roots, rocks, sand, etc.) I have used a similar tent (MSR Carbon Reflex 1, with a single pole that didn't attach to the corners) in a high wind in the open; my buddy used a Hubba, which has a hubbed pole with corner fittings. Neither tent collapsed (the Carbon Reflex did have one corner that tried to pull its stake), but the Hubba was more stable. Of course, if you're planning to camp in the woods, rather than in the open, high winds are effectively not a problem since the trees will offer a windbreak.

Having said all that, you'll probably be fine with the Nemo. I just wanted to point out an alternative. I've not yet used my Fly Creek Platinum, but it replaced a regular Fly Creek that I've been happy with. The Platinum version looks to be identical in design, but made from lighter materials to save weight.

#192199 - 10/08/15 03:50 PM Re: One Man UL Tent options [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I'll second the Fly Creek. I have been using one of the early models for over five years now and am quite pleased with it. The model I have is heavier than the newer version but I believe the layout is similar. I have used the tent in all but winter conditions in the western US and in all kinds of weather. It has held up in strong (ca 40 mph) winds and torrential thunderstorms and has kept me bug-free and dry. It is easy and quick to set up; one reason I prefer it over the single-wall tents I have tried. It is not particularly roomy but I can get me and all of my gear inside and still have room to sleep (I'm 5' 9" tall and 170 lb.).

I gave the tent a thorough workout in 2014 on a JMT through hike. The weather on that trip was rainy on about half the days and on many of those days I camped in high, windy, exposed places. The tent got wet a lot but I stayed dry inside. A lot of other people on the trail at the same time had water-inside problems.

The major criticism I hear is the end entry. Two problems here: 1) getting in and out of the tent can be a little undignified and 2) the entry is sloped so one must keep the fly zipped when it is raining. The later issue can lead to condensation in extended rain. I solved that problem by sewing up a small awning for the entrance that attaches to Velcro tabs sewn to the fly. Not completely watertight but adequate.

#192200 - 10/08/15 04:46 PM Re: One Man UL Tent options [Re: Pika]
bluefish Offline

I'll third the FC. Have the 2 man I use with my wife. Have over 100 nights in it with zero issues. We've also used it in light snow and it was fine. We use a similar solution to Pika"s for the awning, but have found we need to elevate the sides of the fly using sticks or rocks to pull the sides up and out to get better ventilation. The Platinum has more light mesh that runs all the way to the tub floor, so it has less problems with this. Have had it in winds where other cottage mfg. tents were flapping horribly and going down, while we weathered nicely. Same with thunderstorms and extended rain.

#192201 - 10/08/15 04:56 PM Re: One Man UL Tent options [Re: bluefish]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
One warning about the FC2 Platinum: the floor fabric is thin, probably too thin. Have a hole to repair in mine and that's after scrupulously using a groundsheet underneath.

I'd probably opt for the standard if I had do-overs, but it is amazingly small and light to pack. Fact is it's quite reasonable as a solo tent, and roomy.

Cheers,

#192202 - 10/08/15 09:07 PM Re: One Man UL Tent options [Re: Rick_D]
Glenn Roberts Offline

That is highly relevant; I'll definitely keep an eye on it, since I normally don't use a groundcloth.

Doctor: you might want to consider the regular Fly Creek UL1 if you're concerned about durability; it's either $5 more or $5 less (I forget); has a bit less mesh, and weighs within an ounce or two of the platinum. I chose the platinum because I prefer as much mesh as I can get (I hike in the Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana area, with occasional trips to the AT in Virginia.) The UL1 has a good amount of mesh, so it will still be cool enough. And, right now, Moosejaw is having a 20% off sale right now, and stocks the UL1 (but doesn't stock the Platinum), so price might also be a decision point.

#192203 - 10/09/15 03:59 AM Re: One Man UL Tent options [Re: Glenn Roberts]
The Doctor Offline

Thanks for the input. I'm comparing the Fly Creek with the Notch Tarptent currently. I read some reviews about issues with the rainfly zipper on the Fly creek. I do like the side entrances of the Notch, plus the tent is tall (nice for those rainy days), but doesn't have much floor space. Fly creek is pretty much the opposite, short but large floor space (very nice), end entrance. ARGH! They are basically the same price too.

Does anyone have experience with the Notch?

I wish I had more time, and I could sew one myself!

#192204 - 10/09/15 01:55 PM Re: One Man UL Tent options [Re: The Doctor]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Tarptent Moment is a cool tent, i have it. i almost got the Notch but the Moment seem to be more snow loading so I can use it for those unexpected snowfalls in the Smoky Mountains high country. grin

#192205 - 10/09/15 02:59 PM Re: One Man UL Tent options [Re: ETSU Pride]
Zuuk Offline

Loc: NB, Canada
I've also been looking at a new 1 person tent. I was eyeing The North Face Triarc. I assume it's a good one as well, plus it comes with a footprint. The Easton Rimrock was another I was looking at because of price, and also one of those Hubba tents. I've read lots of positive comments about the warranty service on the Hubbas, but I still "felt" better when looking at the North Face one. I still don't know which I'll get when it comes time next spring. All I know is that my cheapo 7-pounder has got to go.

#192206 - 10/09/15 05:27 PM Re: One Man UL Tent options [Re: ETSU Pride]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
My Notch :

That is wet snow.. (iced up in the morning)
franco@tarptent

#192207 - 10/09/15 07:39 PM Re: One Man UL Tent options [Re: Zuuk]
Glenn Roberts Offline

I've used, and really like, the Hubba-type tents. I had an original Hubba, Hubba NX, and Carbon Reflex (aka "the Hubbless.") There was another version between the Hubba and Hubba NX; I didn't use it or even remember its suffix. I used the one person version of each. Great tents, all.

In the end, I'm switching to the Fly Creek Platinum only because of weight (quarter to half a pound lighter) and full-mesh inner; the Hubba NX, like the Fly Creek UL, has a fabric half-wall that limits ventilation a bit too much for my preference. If neither of those is critical in your personal blend of criteria, you'd probably like the Hubba.

I didn't include it, or the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1, in my original response to the Doctor because they were about $75 above the price range stated in the post.

#192208 - 10/09/15 09:16 PM Re: One Man UL Tent options [Re: The Doctor]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I have an REI Quarterdome 1 and I am entirely satisfied with it. The inside is roomy for a solo tent. It is right in the neighborhood of 2.5 lbs. It has a side entrance. It stays dry in the rain (in my experience). Because it is a double wall design with a rainfly you can leave the fly off in dry weather if you like that sort of thing. It is well within your stated budget.

REI tents tend not to be cutting edge, but they stay a bit behind the latest trend and they generally know what new designs work best before they decide to copy them, so the results are usually quite reliable.

#192210 - 10/11/15 01:04 AM Re: One Man UL Tent options [Re: The Doctor]
bobito9 Offline

I have a fly creek 1 and a fly creek 2, both of which I really like a lot. Cozy but rain tight, and easy to pitch. I also have a quarterdome 2, which I now use only for car camping and short 2 person backpack trips. The latter is a very comfortable, roomy tent, with 2 vestibules , and very nice to share (and affordable), but I personally find it to be a pain in the butt to pitch.
One thing you can do with all 3 tents is do the fast-pitch option, using only the footprint and rainfly, no inner body. This won't give you bug protection or as much cold and rain protection, but it works pretty well for many situations.
I would agree with the others who recommend a footprint for the Fly Creek.

#192219 - 10/13/15 12:25 PM Re: One Man UL Tent options [Re: bobito9]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
For anybody in the market, Backcountry Gear has a Big Agnes sale that includes all Fly Creek versions. Use this site's link and go forth to stimulate the economy!

Cheers,

#192246 - 10/16/15 11:37 AM Re: One Man UL Tent options [Re: The Doctor]
ohiohiker Offline

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By The Doctor

Thanks for the input. I'm comparing the Fly Creek with the Notch Tarptent currently. I read some reviews about issues with the rainfly zipper on the Fly creek. I do like the side entrances of the Notch, plus the tent is tall (nice for those rainy days), but doesn't have much floor space. Fly creek is pretty much the opposite, short but large floor space (very nice), end entrance. ARGH! They are basically the same price too.

Does anyone have experience with the Notch?

I wish I had more time, and I could sew one myself!

I had the older single wall Moment, which is similar to the Notch in design, but not trekking pole-supported. I now use the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1. It's basically a side-entry version of the Fly Creek with more vestibule space and more weight. With some stakes, mine weighs about 40 oz. I added adjustable guyline pullouts on the sides for about 0.5 oz. I'm nearly 5'9", and due to some slope in the head end fabric, I don't think I'd be very comfortable in this tent if I were 6' or taller unless I slept slightly curled. I considered the Fly Creek also, but the side entry was worth the weight to me. I've used it in a variety of conditions, including a snowstorm in the UP of Michigan sleeping on top of 3-4 feet of snow.

From my experience with the Moment, I think the Notch is a great tent, especially for the weight. I might replace my Copper Spur with it someday. The partial solid inner would be my choice to reduce breezes, and because I like winter camping. I like the trekking pole support due to both durability and weight savings. Also, the urethane-coated BA fabric (urethane inside, silicone outside) is weaker and thinner than what Tarptent uses. But, that's a disadvantage on the floor somewhat due to being ridiculously slippery. I always coat both sides of my Tarptent floors with a 5:1 dilution of mineral spirits to silicone caulk to avoid that sleeping on slippery ice feeling.

#192247 - 10/16/15 04:39 PM Re: One Man UL Tent options [Re: ohiohiker]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
" I always coat both sides of my Tarptent floors with a 5:1 dilution of mineral spirits to silicone caulk to avoid that sleeping on slippery ice feeling."
I did that with the silnylon floor of a BD tent but that caused dirt to sort of stick to it.
After that one I started to stripe or dot my floors ,leaving gaps on the stripes so that I can still wipe the dirt off the floor without having to shake it out.
I don't do the underside also not to pick dirt up (I don't use groundsheets)

#192997 - 12/28/15 05:17 AM Re: One Man UL Tent options [Re: ohiohiker]
wildthing Offline

Loc: Victoria, B.C.
I too am thinking of the Notch for a single tent, after years of using a home-built tarptent. I'm ready for a comfortable entry, when times are damp and cold, and with open fly views from a side entry if the Notch can provide that for 2 lbs.

#193209 - 01/16/16 02:32 AM Re: One Man UL Tent options [Re: The Doctor]
mugs Offline

Loc: Kent, WA.
Well if it hasn't been suggested I highly recommend using a hammock. Plenty of information over on Hammock Forums.net

But since you asked about Solo UL tents, my favorite of all time, and one I still use when I do a ground dweller trip is the Six Moon Design Lunar solo...I absolutely love that thing. And thats coming from a guy who hiked many miles and trips under the shelter of a cuben tarp. But I'll take the Lunar any day of the week over and above the cuben tarp.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum