Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192053 - 09/24/15 11:49 AM Backpack
Zuuk Offline

Loc: NB, Canada
I have an old Cabela's backpack that I bought 15 or so years ago, and it's been out in the woods twice, and I've hiked about 3km with it, so it's in new condition. The pack fits me and is very comfortable, even with a heavy load. The pack though weighs around 6 pounds. It's an internal frame and I'm thinking somewhere around the 85L size... I can't remember what it was and can't find any info on it.

I know that there are lighter packs out there, but is a 4 pound reduction really worth the purchase of a new pack? Is a 6 pound pack considered "heavy" or is more "average" in the grand scheme of things.

I want to get to an "as light as I can get" point, but should I dare waste time trying to replace a well fitting pack?

Right now I'm trying to fit everything into a smaller hunting backpack I have that is really light, but then there is the question of space and comfort.

<sigh>

#192057 - 09/24/15 01:15 PM Re: Backpack [Re: Zuuk]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
6 pounds isn't terribly heavy for an 85 L full frame pack.

People pay quite a premium for a 4 pound reduction in weight. When your base weight is around 10 pounds you're talking a 40% reduction in weight!

You are probably starting at a heavier weight where the % reduction isn't as great. One thing I have noticed is with big bags people tend to take more stuff. With a smaller bag you run out of room sooner and are forced to scrutinize what you are bringing. That reduction in weight can be significant!

#192058 - 09/24/15 01:36 PM Re: Backpack [Re: Zuuk]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I'd get the rest of your gear reduced down to lightweight before replacing the pack. Heavier gear in a lightweight pack usually doesn't work too well. Once you get your other gear items reduced in weight/bulk, then look for a lighter pack.

It's the same principle as for new pack buyers--get your pack last! I did the same for lightening my load--bought a lighter pack (just under 2 lbs) when I had my base weight (everything except food, water, fuel), including the contemplated 2 lbs. pack weight) down to about 15 lbs. I had the gear, plus a mockup in bulk/weight of a week's food, ready to go when the new pack arrived.

Have you discovered the useful articles and gear lists on the home page of this site, left hand column? There is also useful info in the "sticky" from phat at the top of the Beginners section of this forum.

Edited by OregonMouse (09/24/15 01:38 PM)

#192060 - 09/24/15 02:39 PM Re: Backpack [Re: OregonMouse]
Zuuk Offline

Thanks for the replies. I've spent quite a few hours looking at links and posts all over the site. It's like a goodie bag of knowledge.

I've been gear reducing, because I do like to fill up space. It's almost instinct to fill up space with something that would be of convenience. Each night I've been going back and taking things out that I don't really need. I'm getting the gear weight down quite a bit, so it got me thinking about the big pack again, because my first thought was to reduce that weight. I've dropped about 25lbs of gear since last weekend which is why I thought maybe I should afford the 6lb pack.

By the end of it I'll definitely know exactly what is, and isn't in the pack. It's kinda fun going through it all too.

#192068 - 09/25/15 09:10 AM Re: Backpack [Re: Zuuk]
bluefish Offline

It also depends on your usage. Lightweight helps with lots of elevation changes and long miles. If you're planning on not doing multiple days and long miles, you may be content with a comfortable pack that weighs a little more. I have a 30 year old bombproof 90l internal frame that weighs in just about the same. I use it in the winter for bulky loads where I'm only going a few miles on snowshoes.

#192069 - 09/25/15 09:21 AM Re: Backpack [Re: Zuuk]
Zuuk Offline

So I went and repacked everything into my large pack, and total weight is just under 40lbs. I'm going to try and do the 8.5k hike tomorrow with it, but I'm going to go through and try to shed more gear first. I feel like I'm getting down to the bare minimum though.

I packed a light fleece blanket, but since I moved up in weight to my 0C sleeping bag from the 7C one, I don't need it. This morning it was 5C and I had frost on the window of my car.

I think I'll drop my survival kit as well. I've programmed myself to never go into the wilderness without it, but in this case, it's not like I need to build a shelter or do other survival stuff... it's all in the backpack now. Have to start telling myself that that is my "hunting survival kit" and that's it's okay to leave it behind backpacking.

Other than that, I don't know what I can really drop. Invest in a spork next I guess.

#192119 - 09/30/15 01:49 PM Re: Backpack [Re: Zuuk]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Your clothing and cooking is probably where you will find the biggest drop in weight. Most people bring too much clothing and too much "kitchen". After that, look at your sleeping bag. Getting it under 3 lbs will help a lot in weight and space saving. Then look at shelter options. I wouldn't buy a pack until all these have been gone through. Kinda like what OM and others said.

#192122 - 09/30/15 03:29 PM Re: Backpack [Re: finallyME]
Zuuk Offline

Yep, I'm finding everything to be spot on what everyone is suggesting. I guess I'm not so much looking to get a new pack, but was more looking to see where it fits in the overall scheme of things weight wise. When I bought it, I believe it was considered really lightweight, but things have changed since then.

I can't be that far off weight-wise when I think about it. 40lbs fully loaded isn't that bad considering. I know I'll drop about 5lbs when I get my new tent. I've got 10 days worth of food, which I can get lower in weight by making my own meals, which I'm starting to now do prep for.

My largest weight drop though will happen this winter as I'm bound & determined to lose some girth. My new rain gear arrived today, and come to find out, their sizes run a bit small. Both pants and jacket are XL, but I've got L size clothes that are bigger than those are. The store doesn't sell larger than XL, so I'm going to fit into them rather than get something else to fit onto me. Hockey will start soon, badminton starts Monday, and I'm going to start walking a treadmill when watching TV instead of laying on the couch.

Just think, if I were to lose 60lbs, that would be like carrying a -20lb pack!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum