Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191867 - 09/14/15 04:00 PM la sportiva vs. inov-8
alph2294 Offline

Loc: NorCal
I am considering trail running shoes to use for hiking/backpacking. Anyone have an opinion on these brands -- suitability for hiking, durability, etc.?

I have in the past used leather hiking boots but want to try something lighter.

#191873 - 09/14/15 05:08 PM Re: la sportiva vs. inov-8 [Re: alph2294]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
(1) Fit, fit, fit! That's more important than anything else. Plan to do lots of trying on, and walk around the store (preferably with a pack) for an hour or two. Do the same, for several hours, on the carpet at home while you can still return the shoes.

(2) Once you have found a shoe that really works for you, buy several pair. Sure as death and taxes, the manufacturer will discontinue the model or completely change the last before your ideal shoe wears out. Been there, done that, just starting with the last pair of pre-Columbia Sportswear Montrail Hardrocks (I bought a bunch, shopping on the internet).

(3) Some of us need more support for our feet than others. I have severe bunions and hammertoes, so need a really high and wide toe box, but I also have absurdly narrow heels. Plus I need motion control and anti-pronation stuff built in. I also want the bottoms of my feet shielded from rocks. Others want the "almost barefoot" option, or something in between.

(4) The best place to find trail runners is probably at a really good running shoe store. Of course you can also order online from one of the several shoe companies that provides free return postage and will keep doing so until you get the fit you want.

(5) Shoes are probably the most individual item for anyone--everyone's feet are different. That's why I don't dare recommend any particular brand or model--especially since my ideal shoe hasn't been made for 9 years now, and once the current pair is gone I'll have to go through the whole process of finding another "ideal" shoe.

Afterthought: Since not all running shoes have decent tread, do look at the bottoms. You don't want to be slipping in the mud or on dust-covered rocks. You also need tread that won't slip on wet rocks.

Edited by OregonMouse (09/14/15 05:11 PM)

#191877 - 09/14/15 07:57 PM Re: la sportiva vs. inov-8 [Re: alph2294]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Read OregonMouse's reply above carefully. It is correct in all details. Just remember the three most important things in trail shoes are 1) fit, 2) fit, and 3) fit!

As for brands that are suitable for hiking or durable, the ground keeps shifting around, because companies keep changing their designs, their materials, even their ownership. I would be especially leery of any brand that has changed ownership, such as the Montrail brand OM mentioned.

I used to buy Vasque every time because they fit my feet and were good quality. Then I hit a run of Vasque shoes that fell apart on me after a couple hundred miles. I changed to Brooks Cascadia 7. I bought three more pairs of them as soon as I realized they fit my feet and were durable. Now the Cascadia 7 model has progressively morphed through the Cascadia 8, 9, & 10 and I have no clue if the 10 model is as good for my feet as the 7 model was or if it will last very long.

This is the reality of trail shoe buying, as much as I wish it weren't. mad

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum