Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191779 - 09/03/15 12:17 PM Point Reyes or some very happy memories revisited.
bluefish Offline

We're thinking of doing 3-5 days on Point Reyes in the beginning of next April. I haven't been there since I did a 3 day bushwhack( very illegal, I'm sure) out of Bolinas in the late 70's. I did spend a night in a sand cave and another on a beach accessed by climbing down a waterfall. I had one of the best times of my life, despite getting severely scratched up in the thickets. I know some on this forum have backpacked there. I need to purchase fuel when we arrive. Any suppliers on the peninsula? We'll be flying into SFO and renting a car. Anyone ever fish there? I know there's surf perch and I am a rabidly avid fly fisherman. What little I could discover leads me to believe I could also get some odd species (for me) around the rocks , like Cabezon. Are there some trails/camp sites better than others for reaching surf areas? My search function doesn't work, otherwise I would have tried to get some links. If there's any that you know of, could you provide the links? Any info is greatly appreciated, as always. Thanks.

Edit: I specifically meant links within this site, as in past trip reports, but any are good.

Edited by bluefish (09/03/15 05:01 PM)

#191797 - 09/08/15 05:35 PM Re: Point Reyes or some very happy memories revisited. [Re: bluefish]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL

Edited by BZH (09/08/15 05:38 PM)

#191805 - 09/08/15 09:19 PM Re: Point Reyes or some very happy memories revisited. [Re: bluefish]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
You do not need to combine the backpacking and surf fishing. There are beaches that you can access from parking lots (such as Liminitor (sp??) Beach). Coast Camp and Wildcat are two campsites that have easy beach access. Coast Camp can be reached by walking down the beach from Liminitor Beach.

#191813 - 09/09/15 08:22 AM Re: Point Reyes or some very happy memories revisited. [Re: wandering_daisy]
bluefish Offline

Though I've backpacked my fishing gear many places and for many miles, I rarely get to do it for the salt; hence my questions. I suppose we could have done the Lost Coast, but I would like to stay closer to SoCal to visit friends. Thanks for the info.
One of these years will be the west coast of Vancouver Island.

#191820 - 09/09/15 04:15 PM Re: Point Reyes or some very happy memories revisited. [Re: bluefish]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I've recently taken saltwater fishing equipment on two quasi backpacking trips. They also happen to be the only two times I have ever been surf fishing. It was a lot of fun and left me wanting more. I never realized how light of a rig you could put together to fish out of the ocean. It sounds like you are more experienced than me. I used a Carolina rig. Had best luck with Gulp sandworms. MORF Grubs with Procure Calico Cocktail worked well too. This was in So. Cal. I am not sure how they would work up by Point Reyes

#191826 - 09/09/15 09:23 PM Re: Point Reyes or some very happy memories revisited. [Re: BZH]
bluefish Offline

I'm sure they'd work well there, too. I fly fish, and tie patterns that imitate mole crabs and sardinia, the prevalent bait on the Cal. coast. I've done very well in Morro Bay and points south. 15 species so far.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum