Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191732 - 08/28/15 03:26 PM Fire
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I've been spending too much time sitting here at the computer watching (via the maps on inciweb) my favorite wilderness areas burn to cinders. Some examples: The rugged Entiat River valley in north central WA, home of 700-year-old rare Alpine (Lyall's) larch trees and one of the great places for an autumn pilgrimage to see its needles turn golden. That fire (Wolverine) has the potential to spread to much of the rest of the Glacier Peak Wilderness east of the Cascade Crest, especially with extremely high winds (and not enough rain) forecast for this weekend's storm. The Wenaha/Tucannon Wilderness in SE WA, NW OR, favorite place for early season hikes. The Strawberry Mountain Wilderness in eastern OR. The Mt. Adams Wilderness area in SW WA. These are all mammoth mega-fires that started with lightning strikes in rugged wilderness and then blew up to menace homes, livelihoods and lives (three firefighters lost already). These fires have far outrun the assets available to contain them.

What I'd like to do here is to open the whole area of western wildfires up for dscussion. Hopefully we can do this in a calm, logical manner, although, as pointed out, it's difficult when your favorite places are going up in smoke.

Have at it, folks!

Edited by OregonMouse (08/28/15 03:28 PM)

#191744 - 08/29/15 03:18 PM Re: Fire [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I am not optimistic. frown

In my reading, it appears to me that climate change has already progressed well beyond the point where we can avoid a future filled with ever worse droughts and floods, and stronger winter storms with higher winds that blow down more trees. There also seems to be no political will in the upper reaches of our government to take the sort of drastic steps that would be required to restructure our economy away from fossil fuels.

So, to my mind, it's not a question of whether the forests will burn, but how destructive those fires will be. The only way I can see to save our western forests from ever larger and more destructive wildfires would be a massive program of selective thinning and controlled burning, so that what gets burned is under better control and the destruction can be mitigated as much as possible.

However, as long as the Forest Service is spending $1 billion a year on fighting wildfires (the figure I heard on the radio yesterday) there's not going to be money in their budget for anything else, let alone a massive new program. And given the current politics in our Congress, there's not a snowball's chance this will change for the better in time to avoid far worse outcomes than we've seen so far.

#191775 - 09/02/15 01:21 PM Re: Fire [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Just a quick one here in hopes of stimulating more discussion:

Many folks are blaming the accumulation of fuels from 100 years of fire suppression for the big fires, and say that fires (at least when lightning-caused) are natural and should be allowed to burn. However, I've seen many of those same folks screaming because their favorite wilderness areas have burned up.

I'm tempted to join them except that I know that most of the big fires, while they were only a few acres, were visited by firefighting teams who found the terrain too hazardous for them to work safely. Despite what many think, using aerial assets to dump retardant or water is only a way to slow fires down so they can be attacked on the ground. Too much burns underground through duff and roots and then bursts into flame weeks later--I've seen this myself--for water or retardant applied to the surface to zap a fire by itself.

#191781 - 09/04/15 04:00 PM Re: Fire [Re: OregonMouse]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
It's really pretty heartbreaking to think about this.

Both Oregon and Washington are places where I'd love to live and, naturally, the hiking/backpacking opportunities are why.

All we can do now is see what the el Nino brings. Hopefully it will bring lots of water slowly and gently.

"You want to go where?"

#191784 - 09/06/15 05:08 PM Re: Fire [Re: billstephenson]
tramp Offline

Loc: WV
Sad but all a part of the life cycle. It will come back in it's own time.

#191955 - 09/21/15 05:07 PM Re: Fire [Re: tramp]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
When we overpopulate, and actually cause fires, I find it hard to just say "part of the life cycle". Not only do I see the devastation, I am horrified about the amount of carbon spewed into the atmosphere, which worsens the problem. Add to that the incredible loss of wildlife habitat.

Smoke has been following me all over this summer. I am sick of it. I want rain, rain, and more rain!

#191956 - 09/21/15 05:10 PM Re: Fire [Re: wandering_daisy]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
As far as it will "come back in its own time" - I do not entirely agree. The climate now is not the same as the climate when the burned forests were established. Here in California, when a foothill forest burns, all that comes back is brush and manzanita.

#192530 - 11/15/15 09:10 PM Re: Fire [Re: OregonMouse]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
There are more than 7 billion people on Earth now, and roughly one in eight of us doesn't have enough to eat. The question of how many people the Earth can support is a long-standing one that becomes more intense as the world's population—and our use of natural resources—keeps booming. In 1798 a mathematical explanation by Mr. Malthus explained how it works in theory, and it seems now he was right.

#192565 - 11/22/15 10:19 PM Re: Fire [Re: Jim M]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Colin Fletcher made the same argument in all of his Complete Walker books: the earth has a "carrying capacity" and we may have already exceeded it. The elephant in the room: Let's say that there are 2 billion people too many. Which ones have to go, and how do we make that happen? I know I don't pretend to have the answers.

#192566 - 11/22/15 11:01 PM Re: Fire [Re: Glenn Roberts]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Which ones have to go, and how do we make that happen?

Given the fact that reality cannot be fooled or evaded, it will at some future point take these decisions out of our hands and simply make it happen whether we like it or not.

We may happen to be better equipped than any other species to exploit natural resources for our own exclusive use, but we live on a finite planet with finite resources which is being rapidly thrown into disequilibrium by our ability to monopolize the best habitat and to mine aquifers, forests, metals, oil, gas & coal. There used to be a term, "a fool's paradise" and that is where we are living today.

#192859 - 12/10/15 11:21 AM Re: Fire [Re: aimless]
tramp Offline

Loc: WV
Likely war or some teeny little 3 billion year old bug coming out of a long hibernation will take care of things. This rock will be here long after we've checked out.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum