Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191175 - 06/29/15 01:27 PM MYOG floorless, zipless shelter
dkramalc Offline

Loc: California
I have had this project going for about a year; I finally finished the final detail and sewed in the netting about 90 minutes before setting out from home on my trip last week - or as Mom would have said, it was "sewn with a hot needle" (i.e., somewhat sloppily).

The tent is made of silnylon (from the $1 bin at Walmart several years ago) and design is sort of a love child of the Zpack Duplex and Six Moon Designs Haven. I am deeply indebted to both Joe and Ron for providing the inspiration for my variation on their excellent shelters (and also to Henry Shires for the floorless design that our old Cloudburst has).

I downloaded SketchUp to design the tent; that was a learning experience in itself, never having used any software like that. It helped me at least get close to the right dimensions for the door and vent pieces, though if you look closely you can tell it's not close to perfect. Perhaps one day I will do this again with a little more precision.

The tent has doors in the style of the Duplex, though with a vent above them like the Haven. The high point is not located at the middle but more towards the head end, and poles fit into a pocket in a triangle at each peak. I used nylon tulle for the side and end panels, suspended from the seams along the door openings and from a strip of silnylon sewn across each end about 7" from the bottom. Somehow I ended up with a much taller tent than I'd intended (pitched with trekking poles at 135cm) but it is nice to have all the headroom that creates. I was able to kneel under the peak without my head hitting the top. It is also wider than either of its "parents" - about 50". There is a huge amount of room - I think 4 people could probably sit up inside. Total weight is under 23 ounces.

I wasn't sure about my idea for loosely hanging netting instead of an overlap, or a zippered door, but it worked well on this trip. Most of my motivation for the zipperless design was to make things easier (for him) and quieter (for me) with regards to my partner's several nighttime pee trips.

Luckily there was no precipitation on the trip, as I had not had time to seal the seams (we brought a Squall 2 in case of emergency). It seemed to hold up well with the amount of wind we experienced, despite its height and imperfect tautness when pitched, but I suspect it might be pretty flappy with a really strong wind. I enjoyed the ventilation and the views leaving a flap open on either side.

The drawback of the tulle panels is that they are so light that they're easily deflected by much wind, but despite a very heavy mosquito presence, they did not seem to find their way under the netting. We placed gear along the in places, and that seemed to keep it in place well enough when we were inside. Perhaps one day I will use some real nanoseeum netting, but for now the tulle seems to be sufficient, very breathable, and good for viewing through.

I used a Tyvek bathtub floor for this trip; I'd like to use something lighter eventually, but given the rocky area we had to pitch on one night (that poked through the Tyvek in one spot) I'm not sorry we brought it this week.

Edited by dkramalc (07/01/15 12:26 PM)

#191207 - 06/30/15 07:05 PM Re: MYOG floorless, zipless shelter [Re: dkramalc]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Congratulations for coming up with just what you need. Have you weighed the tent and measured its packed size?

#191211 - 07/01/15 01:11 AM Re: MYOG floorless, zipless shelter [Re: CamperMom]
dkramalc Offline

The tent, minus floor, weighs just under 23 oz. I'm not sure about the packed size yet, since I just stuffed it loosely into an overly large stuff sack I had around. I guess making a dedicated sack for it will be my next step - that and making a couple of netting pockets to put glasses, etc., into. And, of course, seam sealing.

Then I'll have to work up something for solo trips!

#191214 - 07/01/15 08:59 AM Re: MYOG floorless, zipless shelter [Re: dkramalc]
CamperMom Offline

Great job!

Thanks for sharing.

CM

#191216 - 07/01/15 12:48 PM Re: MYOG floorless, zipless shelter [Re: CamperMom]
dkramalc Offline

Thanks, Mom smile

I squished the sack that the tent is in, and it easily compresses to roughly 12x5x7". Probably could get it smaller, but with all the netting it's tough to roll so I just stuffed it in.

#191222 - 07/02/15 05:22 AM Re: MYOG floorless, zipless shelter [Re: dkramalc]
CamperMom Offline

Wow! I realize the size doesn't include poles, probably not stakes nor floor, but, still, wow! The opportunity is now long past, but nothing we had for a couple's tent compared to your tent for size and weight VS space. Hubby is no longer willing to camp, maybe not even with a hammock, which he does like.

#191225 - 07/02/15 10:15 AM Re: MYOG floorless, zipless shelter [Re: dkramalc]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
looks really good. Great job!

#191227 - 07/02/15 12:10 PM Re: MYOG floorless, zipless shelter [Re: finallyME]
dkramalc Offline

Thanks! It has a few spots here and there that don't seem to be completely without droop when it's pitched, but overall I'm pretty happy with it. I figured before I made it that it would either compel me to buy a Duplex or decide I didn't want one. Instead, I am happy with the combination of features and don't feel the need to spend $600 to get a slightly lower weight. I think my next step is to make a clip-in silnylon bathtub floor, recoated to eliminate slipperiness.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum