Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191121 - 06/24/15 04:42 PM Shoe buying frustration
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
For some reason, I can't copy and paste.

I had quite the experience with finding trail runners for myself. But, I did find the store to buy them at. Now, with a few years of experience, I know that New Balance fits my foot perfectly, and I know the exact size of theirs that fits... 11 4E. It is long enough that my toes don't crunch at the front when on a long downhill section, and they are wide enough to be comfortable. If I get 2Es, then they are too long. With that being said, I recently wanted to see if other companies had something to offer. I started at REI. I have never had good success with the. All their offerings are always too narrow. This was the case this time as well. I went to Sportsmans Warehouse and found some Keens that were wide, but the heels are too loose. Their sandals work, but I wanted Trail Runners. i went to another local store here that is similar to REI with no luck. Then I went to a big box store (I think Sports Authority). I was able to try on the Merrill Ventilators in Wide, and they fit...yay. I had been looking at them and had wanted to get them for a while, but after trying them on... I think they have too much padding. That means too much stuff inside that would take a long time to dry out if they get wet. They are also kinda heavy for a TR. At this point I decided that New Balance was for me.... so I go to the New Balance store. They only had 4 models of TRs and none were in my size. I went to their store because I figured they would have the largest selection. I will never go back..what good are they. Now, I live in a small town 30 minutes west of Salt Lake City. All these places are more than an hour from my house. I took a couple lunch breaks and visited them because my office is closer. I finally decided to go to the small Big 5 a mile from my house. Because we are in a small town, this store is pretty small. But, they had at least 5 New Balance options that were TRs and in my 11 4E. $50 later, I walk out with the 531s. Now, why did I wander all over the city looking for shoes?

Edited by finallyME (06/24/15 05:10 PM)

#191122 - 06/24/15 04:47 PM Re: Shoe buying frustration [Re: finallyME]
finallyME Offline

test

Edited by finallyME (06/24/15 04:56 PM)

#191123 - 06/24/15 05:05 PM Re: Shoe buying frustration [Re: finallyME]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
This is going to be a problem until Packlite can upgrade the software--see Packlite's post in "Support Requests and Suggestions." I've had a number of posts disappear when I hit "Submit," too.

In the meantime, copy the post before hitting "Submit." I've been able to restore the text (most of the time) by doing Edit.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/24/15 05:07 PM)

#191124 - 06/24/15 05:13 PM Re: Shoe buying frustration [Re: OregonMouse]
finallyME Offline

OM
I wrote it in Word and then copy and pasted it. It showed up in the edit box, but when I posted to the forum..it disappeared. I tried again...same problem. I copied it to notepad (in hopes of dropping some hanging code) and then copied it to the edit box...same problem...it disappeared. Then I posted it on another forum...worked there.. copy/paste to the edit box..copied fine...try to post...disappeared.

When I typed it out...it worked. frustrating.

#191125 - 06/24/15 06:27 PM Re: Shoe buying frustration [Re: finallyME]

Guess what…..

Anyway, I have found that when you find the ideal shoes, buy several pair before the manufacturers change the last once again (I've found that even New Balance isn't immune). At least you'll have several years between searches.

There are several online shoe firms (Zappos and Shoes.com are two) that have free two-way shipping, and insist that you be satisfied, so there's no limit on how many returns. I've used both firms and been quite happy with the results (once I ordered three pair; none fit but they paid return shipping on all three). So if you have some idea of what you want, this is the way to go.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/24/15 06:50 PM)

#191126 - 06/24/15 06:51 PM Re: Shoe buying frustration [Re: OregonMouse]

mad

Edited by OregonMouse (06/24/15 06:54 PM)

#191133 - 06/25/15 01:14 AM Re: Shoe buying frustration [Re: OregonMouse]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
There's a glitch in the software as we have all found out, so patience will be required for the time being. I hate buying shoes. Fortunately, there is a Big 5 near me with a good selection of shoes and a really good salesman, which is really rare. Just bought a pair of Saucony running shoes, not a brand I would usually buy, but he suggested I try them and they not only fit well, but were cheaper than my other choices.

Edited by TomD (06/25/15 01:20 AM)

#191135 - 06/25/15 09:13 AM Re: Shoe buying frustration [Re: OregonMouse]
finallyME Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
mad

At least I am not the only one.

#191136 - 06/25/15 09:54 AM Re: Shoe buying frustration [Re: finallyME]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I hate to say it, but I think you got off relatively easy. I'm always worried that ASIC will change the shoe 'last' on their Gel Kahana shoes, my current choice. I bought something like 10 pairs of one year's version, jumped ahead two years when those ran out and am coasting off of several pairs of those.

The last time I had to jump shoe models (and manufacturers) it was a great pain to find something that would work for certain. Local shoe stores don't offer enough selection, so I look very carefully at sites that show views from several perspectives of a shoe in question. Being able to look at the shoe from the bottom (sole) side helps a lot in eliminating those that either don't have a big enough toe box, or where the toe box is clearly not shaped closely enough to what my foot looks like.

The other two pieces to the puzzle are (a) an online retailer that will accept returns from shoes you've only tried on indoors, and (b) a lot of patience and some time to try out various options.

#191138 - 06/25/15 11:15 AM Re: Shoe buying frustration [Re: BrianLe]

OK, let's try again!

I won't go into my shoe history, except to say that I bought up a bunch of pre-Columbia Sportswear Montrail Hardrocks (Columbia immediately changed the last when they bought out Montrail) and have one pair left. So probably next year I'll be looking.

There are a number of online shoe retailers that feature free shipping and free return shipping, have a wide selection, and insist that you be satisfied. Zappos and Shoes.com are two that I've ordered from. On one occasion I ordered three pair and sent them all back! No questions were asked!

#191144 - 06/26/15 02:08 AM Re: Shoe buying frustration [Re: finallyME]
mimstrel Offline

I swear by the Merrill Ventilators. I just bought a new pair, my last pair died several years back. The prior pairs were my 'jungle shoes,' the guy who sold them to me actually told me they were waterproof. Imagine my surprise when I found out I'd spent $70 on shoes that were precisely the opposite of waterproof! But I found them so comfortable that I decided to hang on to them, and I never found them to take that long to dry. Usually they dry out overnight, as long as I have a reasonably dry place to put them. Nothing ever actually dries out in the Amazon.

I don't have my old pairs to compare in real time, but I feel like the current iteration seems a little heavier and takes a little longer to dry. Still very reasonable in my mind.

But I also don't go running.

I did learn my lesson on buying shoes in-store, years ago. A year after the mix-up with my "waterproof" Merrill Ventilators, I walked into a different store to request some hiking boots with good ankle support, for use in a temperate rainforest. I specifically explained that I would be working as a tour guide on wet boardwalks and in an unimproved cave. Lots of wet surfaces. The boots they recommended were reasonably lightweight and very comfortable, so I bought them.
Those boots are brilliant on dry surfaces. I still use them near home or if I travel somewhere dry.
... AND... they have exactly zero traction on wet wood. Wet rock is a crap-shoot, too, but it was the boardwalk that did me in. I ended up wearing my Ventilators most of the time.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum