Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190558 - 05/16/15 12:17 AM Need a backpacking spot in So Cal without permit
shirmato Offline

Loc: Inglewood, CA
Hi Friends,
A group of eight of my friends planned our first backpacking trip for Memorial Day next weekend. We reserved our campsite 6 months ago in Little Lake Valley in Fresno for a 5 mile hike to the lake for 3 nights. But we had to cancel the trip because it snowed this week and our group is not prepared for backpacking/camping in the snow.

So starting today our group is urgently searching for a Plan B, but all the places we are looking at are booked. I've read on another thread here that many of you have had luck backpacking without reservations or permits. Where can 8 backpackers who do not mind taking the risk of going without a reservation - go for Memorial Day weekend? Would anyone be so kind to share some details with me? Your help is greatly appreciated. Regards,Yam

#190603 - 05/20/15 06:33 PM Re: Need a backpacking spot in So Cal without permit [Re: shirmato]
HikingGeek Offline

Have you looked into Joshua Tree?

#190617 - 05/21/15 05:08 PM Re: Need a backpacking spot in So Cal without permit [Re: HikingGeek]
bluefish Offline

I thought of that, but 8 people, first trip and 5 miles for a 3 day discouraged it. In the 90's and not much water available might be a recipe for some unhappy campers. I've had a few good early April trips there. Was a blooming!!!!!!

Edited by bluefish (05/21/15 05:10 PM)

#190703 - 05/26/15 03:40 PM Re: Need a backpacking spot in So Cal without permit [Re: shirmato]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
*edit: I just realized this thread is a week old and you already had to find something. Sorry I missed your thread. I hope you come back and let us know what you did. I will leave my comments up for future searches for people in a similar predicament.

Little lakes valley is a very popular trailhead. It is also not in Southern California. Are you looking for something LLV or farther south? Or, are you really looking for something within a couple hours of Los Angeles (that is what I would consider So. Cal.)?

There are plenty of trailheads in Inyo National Forest and if you go to the ranger station in Bishop (or Independence I think) you should be able to get a permit somewhere. I guess a group of 8 might make it a little bit more of a challenge. I've never been on a bad trail out of Inyo National Forest. And... pretty much all of them get to high elevation.

I've recently started looking into trailheads out of Sequoia National Forest and quite a few of them do not require a permit. Its a beautiful area and closer to So. Cal., but not as high of elevation as Inyo.

In So Cal check out Los Padres National Forest. There is some really beautiful areas and this is a good time to go. Not too many of the trails have a permit unless you get up near Big Sur. I've been really fond of the area north of Ojia lately. If you want higher elevation you can look at hiking out of (or into) Mt. Pinos.

They all require reservations but the islands are a lot of fun too (Catalina or the Channel Islands NP).

Edited by BZH (05/26/15 03:47 PM)

#190749 - 05/29/15 01:39 AM Re: Need a backpacking spot in So Cal without permit [Re: HikingGeek]
shirmato Offline

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Regarding Joshua tree, I've been there and would love to backpack there but not sure what it would look like in terms of where I would camp or get water besides from the campsites. From what I've seen, you have to reserve camp sites if you want to spend the night there. Is it possible to simply pitch a tent somewhere else in the park? Please let me know. That would be exciting!

#190750 - 05/29/15 02:02 AM Re: Need a backpacking spot in So Cal without permit [Re: BZH]
shirmato Offline

Hi, No worries for the late reply. We ended up camping in Utah (Kodachrome Park) for 2 days then 1 day in Sedona, Az. It rained every day but it was off and on. We didn't exactly backpack because we had our cars and port-a-potties and faucet water from the campsites but feel much more prepared for a real backpacking trip now. This trip did bring up some other questions such as:
[list]
[*]What is a good sleeping pad you would recommend? (My wife is experiencing some hip pain from our cheap sleeping pads)
[*]Should I carry a tarp to cover my tent in case it rains or is a rain-fly sufficient?
[*]How do permits work? From my understanding they are only for hikes. But what about camping? How does that work?

Anyway, now we're super pumped to do a real backpacking trip and thinking that a 1-night Saturday to Sunday trip would be a great start. Thanks for your help!

#190755 - 05/29/15 01:39 PM Re: Need a backpacking spot in So Cal without permit [Re: shirmato]
BZH Offline

Originally Posted By shirmato

[*]What is a good sleeping pad you would recommend? (My wife is experiencing some hip pain from our cheap sleeping pads)

The new inflatable pads have really upped the comfort level and are still light and warm. You should be a bit careful with site selection so you don't puncture them, but I am not super careful and they have survived my kids (ages 3 and 6). Which particular pad you and your wife like tends to be a personal choice. I have an REI Stratus. I like the slightly larger outer tubes that tend to hold me on the pad. The price of the stratus is phenomenal vs. comparable high end inflatable pads. Others really like the horizontal baffles on thermarest NeoAirs. The best advice is to stop by an REI and actually lay down on several different ones. Most people recommend letting some air out of the pad for better comfort.

[*]Should I carry a tarp to cover my tent in case it rains or is a rain-fly sufficient?

no, the rain-fly on a good tent should be sufficient. If the rain fly doesn't keep the rain off then it's not a rain fly.

[*]How do permits work? From my understanding they are only for hikes. But what about camping? How does that work?

Permit rules are based on the jurisdiction you are going. Just search for backpacking on the website of where you are going and you should be able to find the rules. For instance you mentioned Joshua Tree:

http://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/backpacking.htm

You don't need a permit. You need to pay the entrance fee when you enter (or exit) the park and then sign-up at the back country registration board (located at trailheads). That's all! You don't have to camp in campgrounds. You just have to be more than a mile from the road and 500 ft from water or trails. The hardest part about backpacking in Joshua Tree is even if you can find water you are not allowed to drink. Everything you drink you have to bring into the park.

As I am sure you found out Little Lakes Valley Trailhead in Inyo NF requires a permit. Permits for Inyo NF can be reserved ahead of time at reserveamerica.com You can also get nonreservable permits at the ranger station on the day you plan to enter. Here is a list of trailheads and their quotas:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5143453.pdf

#190899 - 06/06/15 11:46 PM Re: Need a backpacking spot in So Cal without permit [Re: BZH]
shirmato Offline

Thank you so much for the information and recommendations. We did go to REI and tested a bunch of sleeping pads. I was going to buy the Stratus but was sold on the Exped SynMat 7 M because of the built in pump.
My wife and I are planning our first backpacking trip for just 1 night, and 2 days sometime in the next few weeks. It looks like Joshua Tree might have to wait because 2 gallons of water per person is really heavy. We want to go somewhere cooler for our first trip and hopefully no more than 4 hours by car. Is there somewhere you would recommend? We did talk a little bit about San Jacinto because of the high peaks and it seems doable for a weekend trip. Regards, Yam

#190900 - 06/07/15 02:24 AM Re: Need a backpacking spot in So Cal without permit [Re: shirmato]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Mt. Sac would be a good beginner hike. There are several campgrounds. Go the Mt. Sac website for details on permits. I would go to Palm Springs and take the tram up. If you tell the parking attendant you are camping, they will tell you which lot to park in. The hiking is fairly easy. I was there in winter on skis, which is a whole different deal.
Keep in mind the weather will be a lot cooler than at the bottom. The tram website has weather posted and a webcam. www.pstramway.com
Today it was 56/40; in PS it was 88/67 so basically 30 degree difference.
It's about a 3 hour drive out the 10, easy to find. There are 2 outlet malls in Cabazon on the way if you like that sort of thing.

Edited by TomD (06/07/15 02:41 AM)

#190903 - 06/08/15 12:26 PM Re: Need a backpacking spot in So Cal without permit [Re: shirmato]
BZH Offline

Tom gave a you good reply, but I just wanted to add: The last time I checked (last year maybe) Mt. SAC didn't have any water sources. I think So Cal got a bit more rain this year compared to last year or the Sierra's this year, but you should check it out beforehand.

Mt. Pinos is also at high elevation. Trails seem more up and down than Mt. Sac

#191030 - 06/19/15 06:08 PM Re: Need a backpacking spot in So Cal without permit [Re: TomD]
shirmato Offline

Thanks for the info and sorry for the late reply. This spot is definitely looks interesting. I've read on another forum that there are some areas up there with pools or streams where you can purify the water (Little Round Valley, Deer Springs or Bed Springs) but they may or may not have water.
I'm planning to contact the ranger station to see if they can give me some advice because I couldn't find any information on hiking to those spots.

#191031 - 06/19/15 06:16 PM Re: Need a backpacking spot in So Cal without permit [Re: BZH]
shirmato Offline

So sorry for the late reply. We researched the Mt. Pinos in Los Padres area and from what we've seen it looks like a hidden gem. thanks! Basically we found that no permits are required (except for an easy fire permit), no quotas, and there is flowing water in some areas.

There are so many trails to pick from we are not sure which one to pick. The most promising is at 4400' called rancho neuvo trail. 5 miles one way. We just might do this for our first trip next month.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum