Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190977 - 06/17/15 07:52 PM heat shiel for butane stove..needed or not?
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
I'm gearing up for a hike and because of the length, I've decided to use my butane stove, for the first time on a hike. from my readings, it seems that not too many people bother with a h.s. for this. while with the alcohol set up, it's almost a requirement. Is there any gain in using one with butane? I have a heat shield that I use with my alcohol stove and frankly it could be cut in half and still work with either stove. put another way- can using one save butane fuel to any appreciable extent?

#190978 - 06/17/15 08:09 PM Re: heat shiel for butane stove..needed or not? [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Alcohol is a pretty safe fuel. Butane is in a pressurized container. A heat shield *can* turn a butane stove into a bomb. People do it (at there own risk) but you really have to be careful the cannister is not absorbing too much heat. There can be benefits but you should proceed only at your own risk and use extreme caution.

#190979 - 06/17/15 09:58 PM Re: heat shiel for butane stove..needed or not? [Re: BZH]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I use a windscreen that goes about 2/3 of the way around my canister stove. This blocks the wind without overheating the canister. I also feel the canister frequently during stove use to make sure it isn't getting hot. An exploding canister could ruin your day! eek

As with everything else, a test at home before leaving is desirable. On the patio, not in the house!

Edited by OregonMouse (06/17/15 10:00 PM)

#190980 - 06/17/15 10:27 PM Re: heat shiel for butane stove..needed or not? [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
A windscreen like those used with alcohol stoves will let your stove do double duty, as a stove and a BIG noisemaker! In a nutshell: don't do it. If wind is a problem, situate it on the downwind side of a rock or log, and you'll be fine.

If you find that you can't deal with wind, the solution is called Jetboil or MSR Windburner (formerly Windboiler - do I sense trademark infringement in the re-name?) It is a butane (isopro) stove with a built in windscreen around the burner head. This doesn't create heat buildup on the canister like a full-length windscreen would. The way the pot integrates with the burner means they're more fuel-efficient, too.

#191004 - 06/18/15 12:56 PM Re: heat shiel for butane stove..needed or not? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Offline

Glenn, I've used a partial windscreen with my upright canister stove for many years with no problems. As I mentioned, I do check very frequently to make sure the canister isn't heating up. It really saves a lot on fuel when it's windy! I'm not the only one who has found this out. No less a stove expert than "Hikin' Jim" recommends a partial windscreen for canister stoves.

Definitely do not use a full windscreen and do monitor the canister closely if you're going to do this. More details on safely using a partial windscreen with a canister stove here. Actually, Jim's windscreen shown in the link goes a lot farther around than mine does; mine goes only 2/3 of the way around the canister.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/18/15 01:07 PM)

#191007 - 06/18/15 08:12 PM Re: heat shiel for butane stove..needed or not? [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Offline

I agree - a partial windscreen does work safely; I was referring to the 360-degree, tightly fitting screens like many people use with alcohol stoves.

The main reason I don't find them necessary and you do may be that we hike in distinctly different environments. I hike in fairly dense woods, so it's never hard to find a spot that is sheltered from the wind - a grove of evergreens, a big log, a big rock, or a small hummock. I suspect you hike in much more open countryside, and above treeline, so a windscreen is more of a necessity than it is for me.

I really wasn't thinking about "where?" when I gave the blanket "Don't do it" advice, and didn't think to see where the OP was hiking.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (06/18/15 08:14 PM)

#191008 - 06/18/15 10:29 PM Re: heat shiel for butane stove..needed or not? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Offline

Having been exposed to Ohio summers on occasion, I don't think I'd even want to cook when camping there!

On the other hand, my visit there last October was beautiful! The perfect time to go hiking, which we did at one of the state parks.

#191011 - 06/18/15 10:44 PM Re: heat shiel for butane stove..needed or not? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

The Pacific Crest Trail. Section J in Washington. From u.s.2 south to I90. This'll be the first time for me on that trail. About two weeks from now. I enjoyed reading HikingJims thoughts on butanestoves. T.y. O.M. for posting the link. It's a bit early in the process,but find myself leaning to using a 2/3rds shield, and checking often. I intend to set up a 1hour burn tomorrow just to get a feel for things

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (06/18/15 10:47 PM)

#191020 - 06/19/15 06:36 AM Re: heat shiel for butane stove..needed or not? [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
bluefish Offline

I use an open windscreen with my MSR Micro-Rocket that's just a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil. If I need to, I fold the edges around a few borrowed tent stakes. I've used it down to zero F.( with the addition of a small pan of water to keep the canister above freezing) and with some pretty gusty ridgetop and coastal winds with very little drop in performance from perfect conditions. Folds small and adds very little weight. Just remember to point the fuel adjustment valve towards the opening and always make sure you have your set up on a level spot.

#191033 - 06/19/15 08:22 PM Re: heat shiel for butane stove..needed or not? [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Yes, October through December and April through May are quite lovely.

#191061 - 06/22/15 11:31 AM Re: heat shiel for butane stove..needed or not? [Re: bluefish]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

after approximately 50minuets burning time (with pot on top and filled half way up), the canister temp seemed to be within reasonably temp. range. I did like Bluefishe's approach to a screen/shield. and will try to elevate the shield about 1-3" above the surface that the stove's canister sits. allowing a bit of fresh air to bleed under and cool the tank farther. at the same time focusing the heat onto the pot, were it's wanted. So with that in mind I'll be testing it on my upcoming hike, tentatively planed for after the 4th....thanks to all who replied

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (06/22/15 11:37 AM)

#191067 - 06/22/15 01:05 PM Re: heat shiel for butane stove..needed or not? [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
OregonMouse Offline

Even so, I'd stay close by and keep checking the canister for overheating! In addition to avoiding possible unwanted fireworks, you want to pay close attention to your flame, especially in the current dry conditions on the west coast!

#191149 - 06/27/15 10:46 AM Re: heat shiel for butane stove..needed or not? [Re: OregonMouse]
bluefish Offline

I failed to mention that I don't wrap the foil tight around the circumference of the pot. but allow heat to dissipate upward, rather than be forced back down to the canister. My prime goal is to block drafts. It quickens boil times, but does not reflect a large percentage of the heat back down to the canister and create a dangerous situation. If you research the chatter about stove explosions (I did when I started to use a canister instead of a fuel bottle) the greatest incidence of explosion and failure is brought on by large diameter pots, i.e., a frying pan. Your tests are good and have given you confidence in what you've chosen to do. Common sense goes a really long way. I've never had the canister hot enough to burn a finger, let alone blow up. OM's advice is good- I can't imagine taking any chances in dry conditions!
I can't recall ever walking away from a stove, but I imagine there are those who do....

Edited by bluefish (06/27/15 10:49 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum