Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190614 - 05/21/15 01:43 PM Closed cell sleeping pad
mimstrel Offline

I honestly despise inflatable sleeping pads. When I'm camping, typically I go without a sleeping pad. When backpacking (I've gone in the winter only, with heavy, borrowed or rented equipment) I've had a heavy closed-cell pad that is far more than I need for summer use. For car camping, I have a thick fleece mat that is honestly more comfortable than my mattress at home (but weighs about 8lbs and folds up to the size of an entire backpack)

Since I bought a quilt from Enlightened Equipment, I do need some kind of ground covering between me and the floor of the tent even in summer. But I'm looking for something lightweight, packable, and not inflatable for when I'm away from the car. A cheap ridgerest is just so bulky!

I'm open to purchased options (not too pricey) or a DIY style. Doesn't need a lot of padding, just enough insulation to keep the ground from sucking away all my warmth.

#190616 - 05/21/15 02:20 PM Re: Closed cell sleeping pad [Re: mimstrel]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
If you want something really minimalist, look at the Gossamer Gear Nightlight torso length sleeping pad. It's basically a torso-length version of the Thermarest ZRest. Probably the closest to the old Mt. Washington pad.

Next up would be a self-inflating mat from Thermarest such as the Prolite, definitely less bulky when packed than a full-length CCF pad and not needing the "huff and puff" routine..

#190618 - 05/21/15 05:19 PM Re: Closed cell sleeping pad [Re: OregonMouse]
bluefish Offline

If you aren't too heavy, you might try a piece of Reflectix. It comes in 4 foot wide rolls and in some places can be bought by the foot. Just cut a 20" wide piece. It can be folded up pretty flat, or rolled up smaller than most pads, as it's only 1/4" thick. http://www.dutchwaregear.com/reflectanium-by-the-foot..html
The link is for 12" Rx. You could cut pieces and tape them with Gorilla or Tenacious Tape and it would fold into a pad That is 12"x20" by 1" thick.

Edited by bluefish (05/21/15 05:23 PM)

#190620 - 05/21/15 06:28 PM Re: Closed cell sleeping pad [Re: mimstrel]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Pad selection seems to be a tapdance among five qualities: comfort, warmth, bulk, weight and ruggedness. In selecting you can usually achieve three, if you're lucky, four.

All closed cell pads are bulky, so one must decide on how thin to go and much to cut it down. At least you end up with light, warm (if not too thin) and indestructible. Unusable by me other than atop snow.

With an air mattress you get highest comfort plus low bulk and weight. Some are warm but none is truly rugged (by comparison).

Self-inflators are all over the map, somewhere between the others in bulk, comfort and ruggedness, generally warm and heaviest of all. This seems like the biggest category, with hundreds to select from.

I use a NeoAir and have a couple options, depending on season. The short one packs the size of a sandwich at about eight ounces, but I never toss it on the bare ground to use it.

#190622 - 05/22/15 12:35 AM Re: Closed cell sleeping pad [Re: mimstrel]
mimstrel Offline

Thanks!

I actually find inflatable pads to be uncomfortable. Barely tolerable. I don't know why, there's just something about them that puts me off.
I've always preferred either a minimum of padding for the conditions - unless it's really rocky or very cold (closing in on freezing, or below freezing), I prefer to feel the ground under me. Since I can't afford to travel very far away right now, I know that it's unlikely that I'm going to be setting up my tent on gravel or rock; and if I go out in winter I'll want something more substantial but I can worry about that then.

I'd say that of your list of five things, Rick_D, the ones that are most important to me are weight and probably ruggedness, and minimizing bulk within the constraints of CCF. I'm looking for a bare minimum of insulation.

So the Reflectix or Gossamer Gear nightlight are probably my best options. I'm also looking at the Thinlight Insulation Pads from Gossamer Gear, as something that I could trim to whatever size I decide (probably a 3/4 length) that I want and looks like it would roll up pretty well.

#190624 - 05/22/15 01:21 AM Re: Closed cell sleeping pad [Re: mimstrel]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Those thinlight pads provide very little insulation, because they are so thin. I tried one for my late dog and he started getting cold at 40*F. I shifted him to a GG Nightlight torso length pad and that worked just fine (down to 15*F).

Another possibility is the Thermarest ZRest--because of its accordion folds, it takes up less room than the Ridgerest. At least it can easily be strapped to the outside of your pack in a neat bundle, unlike the Ridgerest.

One problem with inflatables is that when you blow them up full, it's like sleeping on a brick. I like mine squishy, so I let a bunch of air out. leaving just enough air to keep my hip bones (very pressure sensitive) from hitting the ground. It sounds as though you might prefer yours blown up hard, though.

I still think a self-inflating pad might work for you--they're a lot thinner than the air pads you have to blow up-- but you'll have to try it out. I always suggest a couple of nights on the floor at home with a new pad before taking it anywhere, while you can still return it.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/22/15 01:25 AM)

#190627 - 05/22/15 02:02 AM Re: Closed cell sleeping pad [Re: mimstrel]
mimstrel Offline

I've tried a couple of different styles of the blow-up ones, and fully inflated them, barely-inflated them, and everything in between... just doesn't work for me.

With the self-inflating ones, cost also becomes a factor. I love packing things up tiny (compressible gear makes me giddy. It's ridiculous) but are there options that fall into the sweet spot of affordable, lightweight, AND reasonably durable? Or is an inexpensive one going to fail? Because I can get a cheap, lightweight CCF pad and it will still work the same even if it gets a hole in it. Or even if my dog decides it's a chew toy. There comes a point where the difference in cost isn't justifiable.

For a summer sleep system, the thinlight pad might work okay, as long as I find an alternate when nighttime temps start dipping under 50 or so?

#190628 - 05/22/15 06:15 AM Re: Closed cell sleeping pad [Re: mimstrel]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
One question no one asked: what kind of pack do you use?

If you're carrying very, very light loads, you could very easily get a frameless pack and a z-Lite pad, and the pad "stores" in a pocket against your back to form a frame that is quite effective.for light loads. You not only get multiple use of the pac, but may save a pound or more over the pack you currently use.

I believe (though I haven't checked their websites for a year or more) that Gossamer Gear and Six Moon Designs make such packs. Granite Gear also makes one called the Virga.

#190630 - 05/22/15 10:29 AM Re: Closed cell sleeping pad [Re: mimstrel]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Go to Walmart. Get the Blue CCF for around $6 I think. They have a green/yellow one that is a little more comfortable, but you sound like you don't need the comfort. If the pad is too long or wide, cut it.

#190631 - 05/22/15 11:25 AM Re: Closed cell sleeping pad [Re: finallyME]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I have three pads- self inflatable ($50), closed cell blue (from REI, $20) and the bubble wrap/foil used for shipping (free- thanks Bill for sending it to test!). Great thing about a closed cell pad or bubble wrap, is that you can easily cut it to fit exactly. I use my pack as a pillow so only need the pad to go up to my shoulders. Since I am small, most pads are too big, so I also cut the width. I also have a pro-lite self inflatable is the x-small which is just right for me. When I take the pro-lite I also take a 2.5x2.5 cut blue pad for a sit-pad and under my feet at night. NEVER sit on an inflatable outside the tent on the ground- good way to get a leak! The main purpose of the pro-lite is padding for my hips and torso. I have been know to camp on top of a flat rock!

In Spring and Fall I use the pro-lite plus the bubble wrap. The pro-lite packs inside my pack, the bubble wrap (or blue foam if really cold) packs on the outside.

Your body weight and type also matters. I do not think a heavy person could use the bubble wrap. On the other hand, a bit of blubber on the hips does provide some padding. We bony-hipped people need some added padding.

Be sure to match the R-factor with the conditions. REI has a nice chart that compares pads.

In summary, I have a "mix and match" system that works for all sorts of conditions. No pad is horribly expensive either. I prefer this system because I do not want to carry extra weight of a winter pad in the summer and also want to avoid the $$$ of a winter pad.

#190632 - 05/22/15 01:45 PM Re: Closed cell sleeping pad [Re: Glenn Roberts]
mimstrel Offline

Glenn, I have an Osprey Kestrel pack (can't remember the size off the top of my head). It's brand new, so not looking to replace it any time soon. I haven't weighed everything but I think my base weight for pack, tent, and quilt is coming in around 8 lbs, estimating based on weights given by manufacturers.

Wandering Daisy - thanks for the tip about the R-factor chart on REI!

#190634 - 05/22/15 04:03 PM Re: Closed cell sleeping pad [Re: mimstrel]
Glenn Roberts Offline

I have a Kestrel 48, and really like it. For summer, it's my go-to pack; in winter, it's an Atmos 50AG (only because they no longer make the Kestrel 58, and I wasn't smart enough to get one while they did.)

Actually, my reply to your post spurred me to go look at the Granite Gear Virga, which I used many years ago but dropped because it didn't have a supportive hip belt. Now it does, and I may have to give it another try; a fifteen pound load would be nice, and I think with that pack I may be able to get there. (I always had good luck using a Thermarest self-inflator, lightly inflated, inside a chair kit, to create a virtual frame - and to sit in at camp! I wonder if a Neoair will work...)

#190648 - 05/24/15 05:02 AM Re: Closed cell sleeping pad [Re: wandering_daisy]
Honas Offline

The bubble wrap mat sounds like a great idea!

#190959 - 06/12/15 08:39 PM Re: Closed cell sleeping pad [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Picked up a Virga 2, and took it on two weekend trips so far - hipbelt is a big improvement over the original Virga! Oh, yeah - NeoAir in a chair kit works just dandy as a frame, and, since it's dual function now, even better as a guilt-free chair after a long day.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 229 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum