Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190575 - 05/18/15 02:13 AM Backpack-In between sizes!
Cook419 Offline

I'm fairly new to backpacking and am purchasing my first pack! Up until this point I've used hand-me down packs from much larger friends so I'm am new to this whole 'backpack fitting properly' thing.

I am looking at the Osprey Women's Aura (65) or Ariel (55). According to their measurement tool, I have a back length of 18 inches, which puts me at the large end of a Small (16-19in) and the small end of a Medium (18-21in). Any wisdom as to which would be better?

I have found that the medium size restricts my head from moving back at all (because the back flat part comes much higher than the small), is this a concern?

Alternatively, if anyone has any input on the Aura vs Ariel I'd love to hear it! I've found the aura to be very comfy on my back and I have a lot of freedom to move while wearing it, but it does feel like its pulling me back in the shoulders a bit. Is this a normal effect of the antigravity suspension or would this cause discomfort when wearing it for longer trips/heavier loads?
The ariel is a bit more restrictive but it doesn't seem to pull backwards on my shoulders as much and the hip belt seems a bit more comfortable.
Thoughts?

Sorry for rapid fire questions, but I figured this would be a great place to get advice! Thank you in advance!

#190577 - 05/18/15 06:38 AM Re: Backpack-In between sizes! [Re: Cook419]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
One question: what kind of load will you mostly be carrying? The weight and the bulk of the load are a big part of pack fit. If the load exceeds the carrying capacity of the pack (and Osprey is good about indicating comfort range of its packs on the website), it means the suspension can be overwhelmed - and everything else is irrelevant. Likewise, there's no need to carry a pack that is built for heavy loads, if you'll never exceed 25 pounds - the pack will be overbuilt for what you're doing, and will be a pound or more heavier than it needs to be.

As far as the Aura - make sure the person fitting it to you knows how to do it. When I tried the Atmos AG (men's version of Aura AG) on at REI, it felt like it was pulling me backwards, too - and their pack fitting "expert" never could get it right. When I tried it out at my local shop, the clerk there understood how the pack worked (essentially, you have to move the yoke a bit when you move the load lifters, so they'll work right.) It felt great, and the pulling-away effect disappeared. I'm also at the top end of a medium and low end of a Large, and found the Large to be the better fit.

Finally, don't let them fit the pack with sandbags for weight, unless they do it with 5 pound bags (or maybe a 10), and use foam-filled bags or bubble wrap to keep the weight where it would be in the field. If they just dump 20 pounds of bags in the bottom, you'll never be able to tell how it fits; the weight isn't distributed correctly. Better yet, take your full load of gear (including a quart or two of water and the amount of food you'd carry for a typical trip) into the store with you, and load the pack normally. This not only tells you how it feels with your stuff, it will let you find out whether the pack is way too large (or small), and will reveal any loading issues (for example, whether a bear can will fit.)

I've used the Aether (men's version of the Ariel), and found it to be extremely comfortable and total overkill as I reduced my pack weight below 25 pounds. Now that I carry about 15 pounds of gear, food, and water for a two-night trip, I'm much happier with the Osprey Kestrel 48 (Kyte, for women) - which is nearly a pound lighter than my Atmos. The Atmos is still a great pack, and I intend to use it for longer trips and winter loads, when both the weight and the bulk of the load increases by 5 - 10 pounds. (I could save another pound by switching to the Talon, but I find that I prefer a bit more suspension than it has.)

Edited by Glenn Roberts (05/18/15 06:39 AM)

#190827 - 06/02/15 12:15 AM Re: Backpack-In between sizes! [Re: Glenn Roberts]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
After taking your stuff to the store, select the two best fits. Then buy both and try them out at home with your own stuff, and various food loads (say, a 3-day trip, a week trip and a 10-day trip). Play with the adjustments. There is good information on the internet to help you with this. Then after several days walking around inside your house, you may be able to decide which is better. Return the other. Just keep all tags on the packs and be careful not to get them dirty.

This may not apply to you, but if you plan on backpacking where a bear canister is required, be sure to see how that will work too. Most smaller women's packs are terrible at accommodating a bear can.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum