Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190793 - 05/31/15 09:02 PM New bag - Colorado at treeline
sns Offline

Looking for some advice.
Very experienced lightweight backpacker, mostly in the rockies.
One piece of gear that I have resisted changing out was a cold-weather bag. Have a WM Highlite for the high summer/lower elevations...

But this year I will be around treeline in CO in early september. Certainly a chance of some snow, and a night down around 20 would be a real possibility.
Basically, I am trying to decide on a new bag, going as light as possible...but I want to be warm.

So...20 degree bag, 15 degree or 10 degree? Budget not the concern - weight and comfort are.

Will be paired with a thermarest xtherm which has a 5.7 r-value.

If it matters, I am in a Stephenson 2R. Because I like condensation.

Thoughts?

#190797 - 05/31/15 10:35 PM Re: New bag - Colorado at treeline [Re: sns]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My bag is a Western Mountaineering Ultralight, which the manufacturer says is a 20*F bag. Its actual EN13537 ratings (found on EU websites, since WM doesn't reveal the info) are comfort, 24*F and lower limit, 17*F. I have taken the bag down to 15*F comfortably by wearing all my insulating clothing inside the bag, over a vapor barrier suit, with an R5 pad. and with a 75 lb. dog curled up against me. That's effectively 10*F lower than the bag's comfort rating. Any colder, and I would have wanted at least one more dog! laugh

A lot depends on whether you're a warm or cold sleeper, whether you can use a vapor barrier and how much insulating clothing you're willing to carry. There can be nights when it gets down to 10*F or colder at higher altitudes that time of year, especially if you're camped down in a low-lying area (remember, cold air sinks).

Remember, those EN13537 ratings are more accurate than those dreamed up by manufacturers' marketing departments!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/31/15 10:37 PM)

#190805 - 06/01/15 02:55 AM Re: New bag - Colorado at treeline [Re: sns]
mimstrel Offline

I second the comment on it depending on whether you sleep warm or cold. I typically like temps a few degrees colder than most people, personally, so I'm more likely to push the lower limits of a bag.

That said, my quilt (Enlightened Equipment; they no longer sell the style that I own but it was just their basic quilt at the time) is rated to 10 degrees and hasn't been used in anything colder than 40, because I bought it with the intention of winter camping and haven't been out in cold weather since.

Are you looking at down or synthetic? I went with down because I prioritized light weight and compressibility (weighs about 2 lbs, packs down into a 6L-2L compression stuff sack), and I absolutely love it except I'm paranoid about it getting wet.

#190807 - 06/01/15 06:59 AM Re: New bag - Colorado at treeline [Re: mimstrel]
bluefish Offline

As mentioned, sleep layers. If you aren't planning on further extending your seasons, a true 15 degree bag or quilt should be plenty. I use an EMS Mountain Light 15 down to 0 F by wearing my down puffy and a hat. Considering the morning is going to be cold when you arise, and temps will drop in the evening, you may consider factoring in your cold weather gear as sleepwear. You'll need it, might as well use it.

#190810 - 06/01/15 11:24 AM Re: New bag - Colorado at treeline [Re: bluefish]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
OM,

I'm glad you mentioned it being colder at lower altitude. That has been my experience in Colorado but I didn't want to say anything. The coldest sleeping seems to be around 9,000 feet here.

SNS,

Since you are comfortable in Colorado with a WM 40 degree bag, I would think you could do well with a WM 20 degree bag, but don't take my advice. There are many WM dealers in Colorado. You can find phone numbers on the WM site. I suggest giving them a call.

The owner of Mountain Chalet in Colorado Springs has done lots of backpacking and, if he has time, is willing to share info.

#190832 - 06/02/15 09:25 AM Re: New bag - Colorado at treeline [Re: sns]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I mainly camp and hike in the Utah Rockies. I bring a 20F quilt for late spring to early fall. There isn't much difference between a 20 and 15 F bag.

#190842 - 06/02/15 08:37 PM Re: New bag - Colorado at treeline [Re: Gershon]
sns Offline

Thanks for the advice - will ask at the Chalet next time I am in there.
(Went to CC; been going to the Chalet since the late 80s.)

#190843 - 06/02/15 08:41 PM Re: New bag - Colorado at treeline [Re: OregonMouse]
sns Offline

The warm vs cold sleeper thing is a good point...a data point I should have mentioned.

So, a night that dips down to 20 degrees, with two layers of thermal tops and bottoms, a fleece hat and wool socks, in a WM Highlite (supposedly a 35 degree bag) I am wishing for a dog or two...

#190844 - 06/02/15 09:11 PM Re: New bag - Colorado at treeline [Re: sns]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
If you remember Three Dog Night, in actual life that's a cold enough night that a shepherd would need to curl up with three dogs to keep warm!

Some like deliberately to use a less warm sleeping bag and regularly use insulating clothing for cold temperatures. I like to have my sleeping bag warm enough for normal conditions, and my insulating clothing as a reserve for when its's unusually cold at night. As suggested in my above post, occasionally I've needed that extra margin of warmth!

#190845 - 06/02/15 09:12 PM Re: New bag - Colorado at treeline [Re: mimstrel]
sns Offline

Re: Synth. vs Down:
I have always used down and have learned how to deal.

That said, there are some interesting water-repellant down products out there these days...

#190846 - 06/02/15 09:15 PM Re: New bag - Colorado at treeline [Re: OregonMouse]
sns Offline

I've had a three dog night or two, but that when when I was younger and stupiderer.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum