Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190768 - 05/30/15 11:36 PM Weighed my gear today
mimstrel Offline

I still have a couple of items to buy before I'm trail ready, but today I loaded up my pack to weigh it. Really unscientifically - I stepped on the bathroom scale without the pack, then put the pack on and subtracted. So I'll say my margin of error is +/- a pound.

What I've got:

Osprey Kestrel 38 pack
Enlightened Equipment quilt with a compressible dry bag
ALPS Mountaineering Mystique 1 (stripped down to just what I actually use)
stove with a dozen solid fuel tabs and a set of strike-anywhere matches (the stove can also be used with a small wood fire or an alcohol burner)
600mL pot and titanium spork
multi-tool
Sawyer Mini water filter and bladders
First aid kit (base kit is an REI kit, then I modified it based on my preferences and training - also includes survival items like an emergency blanket and whistle)
a couple of extra dry bags
A spade for cat hole digging
Extra paracord
camp towel

To round out my base weight, I'm planning to add a sleeping pad, a couple of clothing items, a pot holder of some sort, a flashlight and spare batteries, and compass.
But so far, according to both rough calculations and the aforementioned unscientific weighing method, I've got just under 10 lbs. I think my base weight will end up being 12 or 13lbs.

This seems suspiciously light to me. I worry that I forgot something... but I have shelter, a sleeping system, a cook system, a first aid kit, water purification and storage, and basic hygiene. I'll have the 10 essentials once I include consumables and trip-specific items (map!).

Hopefully nobody looks at my list and goes, "You dummy, you forgot (heavy/bulky but very important item)!" because I'm pretty happy with the idea of a 13lb base weight.

#190769 - 05/31/15 12:18 AM Re: Weighed my gear today [Re: mimstrel]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Ditch the spade and use your trekking pole or nearby stick if you hike without one. What with the extra dry bag? I only carry one.. Sounds like you're on the right track. But if you want me someone to say it: you big dummy you forgot the bourbon!! grin

#190770 - 05/31/15 01:04 AM Re: Weighed my gear today [Re: ETSU Pride]
mimstrel Offline

Well, I don't use trekking poles and I don't drink.

(Also bourbon would be a consumable... if I drank. Why am I carrying it again?)

The extra dry bags will either be used (for instance, I'll put my extra clothes in one and use it as a pillow) or left home. But I tossed them in today because I wasn't looking to underestimate the weight on my current gear.

I can toss the spade in my sack of random camping stuff that doesn't need to go backpacking, no problem.

#190771 - 05/31/15 03:15 AM Re: Weighed my gear today [Re: mimstrel]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I find that generally when I look at gear lists, I find things that are missing, IF I'm looking at them for completeness (I generally don't: it's a fair bit of effort).

You might want to look at several other packing lists (there are many public lists to be found) and then decide from those if your list is really "complete".

You list 12 items. I typically have 100 or so --- admittedly not everyone lists things to the same level of granularity. So for example, in my list I have toothbrush and tooth powder as one item, but floss as a separate item (it's also repair gear, along with a needle, which is a separate item for me). Certainly no single "right" way to do this.

I suggest that you pack up and go on an actual trip, short or long, and then you'll find out for sure what your real packing list includes. The "stand on bathroom scale with and without pack" is a fine approach if you don't want to geek out with spreadsheet and weigh individual items to the gram.

What I use for trips that I lead is a simple spring scale --- these aren't expensive. The most accurate reading (i.e., what people are really carrying) is made at the trailhead.

#190774 - 05/31/15 11:09 AM Re: Weighed my gear today [Re: BrianLe]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
One item to drop is the multitool...there is nothing in your pack that you can fix with a screwdriver, pliers, or bottle opener. Stick with a tiny sewing kit instead.

Go with a headlamp instead of a flashlight, and both it and the batteries will be smaller and lighter.

And the camp towel will work as a potholder...as will an essential piece of equipment, your bandana.

Edited by balzaccom (05/31/15 11:29 AM)

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#190778 - 05/31/15 01:01 PM Re: Weighed my gear today [Re: mimstrel]
mimstrel Offline

Personally I keep floss, pins, and so on in my first aid kit as "survival items." Not all survival items are for emergency use only! And even though my toothbrush is technically not consumable, I'm counting it as such along with sunscreen, bug protection, etc.

Bandanas are wearables, so get counted in with the clothing items.

Generally, though, it sounds like I'm not leaving out anything super obvious and important. I'm doing short trips, and pretty much as long as I've got the basics, I can improvise or go without pretty much anything for three days.

#190784 - 05/31/15 04:02 PM Re: Weighed my gear today [Re: mimstrel]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
A couple overnight trips will really tell you what you need to add, and what you can ditch.

#190787 - 05/31/15 04:55 PM Re: Weighed my gear today [Re: mimstrel]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
For digging, take a look at something like the MSR Blizzard stake. It's wide enough to dig with, and if you want a "padded" handle, just wrap 20 or 30 feet of spare utility cord around it (assuming you carry a length of spare utility cord.) It can also double as a spare tent stake, in the rare occasions you need one, or lost one.

#190788 - 05/31/15 05:20 PM Re: Weighed my gear today [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I agree with Glenn on the digging tool! A snow stake is ideal!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/31/15 05:23 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum