Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190570 - 05/17/15 04:56 PM Mapping App
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
I've been using a freebie app on my iPhone to track local hikes. It tracks pace and shows the route already taken on screen. I would like to take it a step further. I would like an app to track and map a hike that can then produce a document to send to a PC. This can then be saved, overlaid onto a MapQuest or Google Map, and finally be saved and printed, shared, etc.

Does anyone know of such an app?

#190585 - 05/19/15 07:06 AM Re: Mapping App [Re: PerryMK]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Perry,

If you mark a waypoint every time there is a bend in the trail, you can export the waypoints to a map. You are better off using Google Earth for this as Google maps will attempt to connect the dots.

You can also plot points of interest and use them the same way.

If this is something you want to do often, I recommend using a Data-logger.

Edited by Gershon (05/19/15 07:08 AM)

#190641 - 05/23/15 05:11 PM Re: Mapping App [Re: Gershon]
PerryMK Online   content

Thanks for the link. It's something I will keep in mind.

In the meantime someone on a different site suggested a phone app called Trimble Outdoors Navigator. I downloaded the free version and my initial impression is it will do what I need. It's actually pretty neat. I'm still learning but I did save a GPX file, opened it in GoogleEarth, and it showed a satellite map with my route plotted on it, as well as the waypoints I marked along the walk. If I get competent I may have to purchase the full version.

I actually thought of this as a fantasy job several years ago. Hike trails, or non-trails, and plot them on a map for towns and counties. Mainly focus on tourist areas wanting some walking trails. Now that I'm learning how to do it, I wonder if I could actually get anyone to pay me, at least expenses.

#190694 - 05/26/15 09:36 AM Re: Mapping App [Re: PerryMK]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I am not sure how accurate it is, but I like to use 1 of 2 apps whenever 'm biking or hiking. MapMyFitness and MapMyHike both work well for my needs, although I prefer MapMyHike more because it will allow me to track the overall progress and compare my current location to a printed trail map (to confirm location), it will give me total mileage, splits per mile, elevation gain/loss profile and total and will even calculate an approximate calories burned.

I will try to respond later with screenshots from the app...

#190696 - 05/26/15 01:28 PM Re: Mapping App [Re: PerryMK]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
You know, it's really easy to write an app for your smartphone to do this. Grabbing your current location with a smartphone is dead simple. My " Navigraphic " app does that, here's the code I use to get the lat/long and the accuracy from any smart phone running a web browser:

Quote:
function getLatLong (position) {
var lat = position.coords.latitude;
var long = position.coords.longitude;
var accu = position.coords.accuracy;
}

As you can see, there's really not much to it. You can save those lat/longs at fixed intervals in a database using a GPX file format. You can use a library of free code called " PouchDB " to store the lat/longs in a database. It also runs in a web browser on your phone.

You can store the entire app on your phone and make it run offline, which will save some battery life. I recently made a " Contacts " app that runs offline and stores data in a web browser's built-in database that you can look at to see how that part works too, and the PouchDB site linked above has great docs and example code, and a very good "Getting Started" tutorial.

I made both those apps to learn how to use those features and released them for free without any restrictions, so you can literally copy and paste most everything you need from those two apps.

To instantly share your data you can use PouchDB with IBM's " Cloudant Service ". It's pretty much free too, and it's very cool. Using this with an online connection you could broadcast your track in pretty much real time to the web, or whenever you wanted to send an update. (I have a version of the Contacts app that does this)

To map your hike I'm pretty sure you can use Google Maps for a free web based solution, and Garmin's BaseCamp is free for both Mac and Windows PCs. There's free mapping software for Linux too.

If you want to give it a crack I'll lend a hand. Perry, you're already professionally working with the real tasks involved, as are many others here, and you know what you want and how it should work. I'm sure you'll be impressed with how easy it is nowadays to make an app like this, and you'd probably find it's actually fun too.

I'm a geek, so I think it could be fun to build this out in the open here, as a forum project for our members to use, learn from, and contribute to as well.

"You want to go where?"

#190708 - 05/26/15 06:28 PM Re: Mapping App [Re: dylansdad77]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
You can get even more if you like. On my website in the signature, I have animated Google street views for a virtual hike around the 48 states. The complete waypoint list is in my book "48 State Hike" which is a data book for a tiny audience. You can see the animated street view for each leg.

What I'd really like to have is a virtual GPS that would plot progress along a virtual route along with history mp3's to listen to as I walked.

What I've learned is for a long road walk, the best way to navigate is with a pedometer and a paper map. Everything else has limitations such as no cell phone signal, battery life, inability to load enough waypoints, etc.

(Eventually, maybe I'll get you hooked on road walking.)

#190714 - 05/27/15 06:42 AM Re: Mapping App [Re: Gershon]
PerryMK Online   content

dylansdad77: I have one of the fitness apps but its not quite what I have in mind.

billstephenson: I appreciate the offer, but that is way more effort than I want to invest at the present time (smile).

Gershon: I like the googlemaps idea. It sounds similar to the app I've already downloaded but may remove a step.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The app I downloaded is meeting my needs for the time being and is intuitive enough for me to use. The biggest issue is having too many projects going on and only wanting to try making a map for the moment.

#191766 - 09/01/15 02:04 PM Re: Mapping App [Re: PerryMK]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I've been playing with most of the code libraries used in this "How To". If I get a chance I'll go through it and comment here on how well it works.

DYI IBM demo location tracker app

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum