Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184637 - 04/21/14 01:41 PM Powdered Alcohol...
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I know we've heard of this, but apparently this company has products that were approved for sale this month. The site says they should be available this Autumn.

Palcohol

"You want to go where?"

#184638 - 04/21/14 02:33 PM Re: Powdered Alcohol... [Re: billstephenson]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Man this stuff is all of the sudden all over the web, wait till some idiot snorts it and dies!

#184663 - 04/22/14 10:39 AM Re: Powdered Alcohol... [Re: rockchucker22]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By rockchucker22
Man this stuff is all of the sudden all over the web, wait till some idiot snorts it and dies!

It's been around for a few years now but it just got approved for sale here in the US a couple weeks ago.

I'm sure they'll be idiots that try to snort it, and some may die as a result. But idiots have done idiotic stuff with just about everything so that's not a good reason on its own to dismiss a product.

I think it's a pretty interesting product. I don't drink hard liquor myself, I drink beer, and quality beer too, not industrial beer. So I doubt I'll like it. I've tried bringing a small flask of liquor on backpacking trips but it just doesn't work the same as good beer for me. I get buzzed, but it doesn't make me feel good. Industrial beer is is like that too for me.

If someone ever does come up with a good powdered Ale I'll bring it. Shoot, I'd probably stay out a few extra days too! blush

"You want to go where?"

#184664 - 04/22/14 11:45 AM Re: Powdered Alcohol... [Re: billstephenson]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
A good powered ale? Sounds like blasphemy to me wink.

#184692 - 04/23/14 10:20 PM Re: Powdered Alcohol... [Re: skcreidc]
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
Will it burn in my stove ????

#184724 - 04/27/14 06:21 PM Re: Powdered Alcohol... [Re: intrek38]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
TTB (the agency that regulates alcohol in the US) just revoked its approval for this product...so you can expect to wait for while before you see this in the market.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#184740 - 04/28/14 12:24 PM Re: Powdered Alcohol... [Re: balzaccom]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By balzaccom
TTB (the agency that regulates alcohol in the US) just revoked its approval for this product...so you can expect to wait for while before you see this in the market.

Really?

He should have went with beer instead of cocktails wink

"You want to go where?"

#186468 - 08/06/14 10:37 AM Re: Powdered Alcohol... [Re: billstephenson]
Bil03 Offline

Loc: wyoming

Seems to me I read that dehydrated wine was airdropped to French Army in the early fifties.

#190663 - 05/24/15 05:58 AM Re: Powdered Alcohol... [Re: billstephenson]
Honas Offline

That might be the strangest thing I've heard of!

#193108 - 01/09/16 08:36 PM Re: Powdered Alcohol... [Re: balzaccom]
Johannes Offline

Loc: NE
Originally Posted By balzaccom

It's legal in the US, but certain (a lot of) states have banned it.
You can make your own with nothing more than a food processor.
Hope this helps. Cheers!

#193112 - 01/10/16 10:06 AM Re: Powdered Alcohol... [Re: Johannes]

I don't think it's that simple, Johannes. Dehydrating anything will remove the alcohol. This product dissolves the alcohol into a second compound, then dehydrates (removes the liquid from) that second compound without affecting the alcohol. When you add water, the alcohol combines with the remaining compound and water to become liquid again. Not sure how you think you would do this in a food processor...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#193114 - 01/10/16 12:11 PM Re: Powdered Alcohol... [Re: balzaccom]
Johannes Offline

Edited by Johannes (01/10/16 01:39 PM)

#193115 - 01/10/16 02:58 PM Re: Powdered Alcohol... [Re: Johannes]
billstephenson Offline

Well that's certainly worth trying. Thanks for sharing the link, I might have to play around with that.

Now I need to find a good beer powder to mix with it. cool

Or I suppose I could just use grape coolaid and this to make some MD 20/20 sick

"You want to go where?"

#193120 - 01/11/16 07:53 AM Re: Powdered Alcohol... [Re: billstephenson]
bluefish Offline

Sounds like a concoction arrived at after sampling the products a little too heavily. Since the weight dry is virtually the same wet, why the heck would you bother? I have a bias though, out of firearms and alcohol in the wilderness, I'd choose firearms- so I could go over and shoot the screaming drunk a-hats at the campsite across the lake from me. grin

#193122 - 01/11/16 09:43 AM Re: Powdered Alcohol... [Re: Johannes]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
It appears that powdered alcohol, home or commercially produced, is mixed with an absorbent powder. If one is looking to save weight and space in a backpack, this would not be moving in the right direction. As for using "palcohol" in a stove, I'm thinking it would gum things up quite a bit. Sugar burns, so the powdered alcohol may burn, but probably not in a satisfactory way for backpacking purposes. Now, for avoiding spills or carrying alcohol where liquids but not powders are of concern...HMM!

#193126 - 01/11/16 02:47 PM Re: Powdered Alcohol... [Re: CamperMom]

Originally Posted By CamperMom
It appears that powdered alcohol, home or commercially produced, is mixed with an absorbent powder. If one is looking to save weight and space in a backpack, this would not be moving in the right direction. As for using "palcohol" in a stove, I'm thinking it would gum things up quite a bit. Sugar burns, so the powdered alcohol may burn, but probably not in a satisfactory way for backpacking purposes. Now, for avoiding spills or carrying alcohol where liquids but not powders are of concern...HMM!

Agreed! And then you have the remarkable experience of tasting that dextrose....yum. So you don't really dry the alcohol--you a powdered compound into the alcohol until it has absorbed all the alcohol...which can then be dissolved in water.

Yeesh.

#193128 - 01/11/16 09:23 PM Re: Powdered Alcohol... [Re: bluefish]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By bluefish
Sounds like a concoction arrived at after sampling the products a little too heavily. Since the weight dry is virtually the same wet, why the heck would you bother?

From the how-to article:

"If you store your powdered alcohol in a sealed container with one of those (non-edible!) silica gel packets, some of the water will be selectively absorbed by the silica, and the powder will become more powdery."

Even Everclear has some water in it, so there could (in theory) be some weight savings if you removed water that way.

I'd think the containers needed to carry the powder could by lighter than those used for liquids too, so this could be handy for drinks like hot cocoa and other powdered drink mixes.

If there was a beer powder to mix with it you could save a lot of weight. Even a beer flavor concentrate could save a lot of weight. I don't know how you'd carbonate it, maybe one of those BB gun CO2 cartridges and a special keg like cup.

We have to be positive. It could happen. Backpackers are pretty innovative, and so are beer drinkers. I'm keeping the faith they can do it because programmers are generally lazy. If we can't make an app for that then it probably won't get done.

"You want to go where?"

#193142 - 01/13/16 03:05 AM Re: Powdered Alcohol... [Re: billstephenson]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By billstephenson
Even a beer flavor concentrate could save a lot of weight. I don't know how you'd carbonate it, maybe one of those BB gun CO2 cartridges and a special keg like cup.

They've already done this with Pat's Backcountry Brew (https://www.patsbcb.com). Not light, but lighter than carrying a six pack with you. Haven't tried it (I'm not a beer drinker), but it seems interesting, especially in colder weather when you can get ice cold water.

#193200 - 01/15/16 03:25 PM Re: Powdered Alcohol... [Re: bluefish]
Johannes Offline

Originally Posted By bluefish
I'd choose firearms- so I could go over and shoot the screaming drunk a-hats at the campsite across the lake from me. grin

...and then take their booze? grin

#193206 - 01/15/16 10:37 PM Re: Powdered Alcohol... [Re: JustWalking]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By JustWalking
They've already done this with Pat's Backcountry Brew (https://www.patsbcb.com).

Well shoot, I'd give that a try. I usually carry in a couple pints in cans now. If it was tasty and I could get 3 pints (or better) for the weight on two I'd do it. Doesn't look like they sell it anywhere near me, but I might be able to get a local store to order some for me. It's worth a shot! (<- good pun eh? :D)

"You want to go where?"

#193210 - 01/16/16 07:39 AM Re: Powdered Alcohol... [Re: billstephenson]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
I'm not a big beer drinker, so this one is not for me. Still, I'm interested in knowing about how the set up compares to carrying a few beers. You would need the concentrate, safe water, preferably cold, the CO2 cartridge, and the charging unit. It sounds like a lot to carry. I can see its value for long-term camp or cabin. This product might cut a lot of weight and storage space. If cost-effective, some place like the Phantom Ranch on the Bright Angel Trail in the bottom of the Grand Canyon could put this set up to great use. They have to carry in beer on mule-back to sell to visitors. It may even make soda possible there. When we visited, it was iced tea or beer. With temps as high as 120 F some afternoons, even someone who rarely consumes beer thought a cold one tasted great. REI showed one of the soda flavors on clearance last night, so you might find at least the accessories at REI.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum