Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190551 - 05/15/15 05:27 PM Gershon's Compass Course
adamlogan Offline

Gershon, how about that compass course? smile

#190556 - 05/15/15 08:33 PM Re: Gershon's Compass Course [Re: adamlogan]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By adamlogan
Gershon, how about that compass course? smile

Did you get a compass? If so, what type.

The way I teach how to use the compass is different than what you will find elsewhere. Otherwise, I could send you to a book or a website.

Once I see a picture of your compass or at least one like it, I can start. A link to Amazon is fine.

#190557 - 05/15/15 11:10 PM Re: Gershon's Compass Course [Re: Gershon]
adamlogan Offline

I ended up buying the Suunto M-3 Global Pro Compass. I couldn't let go of being able to navigate at night and when I was comparing compasses in REI I noticed the needle on the Suunto was smooth and steady, all the others including the Brunton TruArc 3 Compass were much more jittery. The phosphorescence does not last long though, I find it hard to read the bearings on the bezel by phosphorescence light alone. I have to turn on my headlamp often as it seems to fade quickly, enough so that I feel that this defeats the point of the phosphorescence. I did try reading a park map using red led and it was horrible, both reading the map & the compass itself.

I'd like to try out your approach to navigating. On most topics academia and books cover everything, which is really not necessary for common practical use, and who can remember it all anyways? Learn and absorb as you go I say.

#190559 - 05/16/15 06:24 AM Re: Gershon's Compass Course [Re: adamlogan]
Gershon Offline

I teach compass use without a map and without worrying about variation/declination in the early stages of learning. The end goal is to be able to navigate from point A to point B given a bearing and distance from A to B. You will be able to do this without a map and with about 1% accuracy (50 feet/mile). You will at all times know exactly where you are in relation to point A.

I don't teach memorization. I'll have you repeat exercises many times so you will learn the theory of compass navigation in a way you will never forget it.

The first step is being sure you know how to find a magnetic bearing, often called a magnetic heading. In other words, what direction is it to that tree across the park.

1. Stand facing the target. Hold the compass flat at about belt level or higher with the direction of travel arrows pointing toward the target. (Move the compass around a bit the first time to be sure you aren't wearing anything metal.)

2. Rotate the dial so the red part of the needle is over the red arrow on the baseplate.

3. Read the bearing off the compass under the direction arrow.

Today's exercise: Take at least 50 bearings to different objects as you take a walk. You only need to be accurate to the nearest 5 degrees.

I remember you saying you are good at Excel. Is that correct? (and how good are you.)

Edited by Gershon (05/16/15 06:33 AM)

#190566 - 05/17/15 08:10 AM Re: Gershon's Compass Course [Re: Gershon]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Good! grin I've navigated with compass all my life and pay little attention to declination unless I'm flying or boating across featureless surroundings and have to hit a target dead on. I was in Ireland the last two weeks, 6 degrees off from my home, and as long as the needle is generally fixed and generally north, the map orients generally north.
In fact, my two favorite compasses have no markings at all, or fixed bezels. Orienteering compasses.
My motorcycle compass is a dorky, bouncy, ball compass and as long as it's within 45 degrees of the direction of the road, I'm good.

#190567 - 05/17/15 08:37 AM Re: Gershon's Compass Course [Re: Dryer]
Gershon Offline

Dryer,

We will pay attention to declination later. But it will be a one time fix made by drawing an arrow on a map.

This learning approach focuses on drawing maps first and not following a map. That comes later. Once people see a map, they generally stop learning about the compass.

Basically, I'm teaching dead reckoning with a blank map.

#190578 - 05/18/15 07:23 AM Re: Gershon's Compass Course [Re: Gershon]
Dryer Offline

That goes along with what I wrote about flying/sailing in featureless air/water. An FAA IFR chart is pretty much blank with lots of corrected vectors plotted on it.

#190584 - 05/19/15 06:57 AM Re: Gershon's Compass Course [Re: Dryer]
Gershon Offline

Agreed, Dryer.

My method eventually takes away the need for plotting vectors. With tons of practice, a person can do the whole thing in their head although I wouldn't recommend it.

#190587 - 05/19/15 02:43 PM Re: Gershon's Compass Course [Re: Gershon]
adamlogan Offline

Great, I'm back in the car and am traveling. Will do the exercise once I'm back home.

Have you ever experienced pant buckles messing with the compass? I wonder about zippers.

Apart form that I do wear a roadid bracelet that has a small band of metal and a roadid dogtag that is metal as well.

I've not noticed interference from these things but will need to pay closer attention next time I do an exercise with the compass.

I've definitely noticed magnetic interference when working in or close to the car.

I've used excel enough to understand the basics and how to use macros, I'm computer savvy enough to figure things out. One would need to write down magnetic north bearings after every 50 feet or so with your method is that right? In any case I should do the exercises before moving on to the next step. Will check again here once I've arrived back in NY and have done the exercises. Thanks for doing this Gershon.

@Dryer, interesting about the boating (gps?) solution smile.

Edited by adamlogan (05/19/15 02:45 PM)

#190593 - 05/19/15 03:29 PM Re: Gershon's Compass Course [Re: adamlogan]
Dryer Offline

Quote:
@Dryer, interesting about the boating (gps?) solution smile.

Of course, anyone can stick a GPS in a car, boat, plane and follow it. Batteries die and dead reckoning nav via compass or sky (sun/stars) is a skill everyone should learn and practice. In fact, geocaching is even more fun without a gps, using only a compass and a map. You pretty much only need to know where you came from and where you want to end up.
Not to steal Gershon's thunder, but car bodies, electronics, phones, all effect a compass if close enough. You can put a compensated compass in your car to counter that. Things like zippers, jewerlry, watches, not so much unless your compass is right on top of it.

#190597 - 05/20/15 06:43 AM Re: Gershon's Compass Course [Re: adamlogan]
Gershon Offline

For super-accuracy, you would need to write down a bearing and distance every 100 feet. For reasonable accuracy, you can draw a vector on a piece of paper. (It doesn't have to be accurate.) What I usually do is record the bearing and distance and draw the vectors until I get close to the destination. Then I compute my exact location and go from there.

In most cases, the distance you will travel while depending on the compass will only a few hundred feet. The end game is learning how to set up a search pattern to find yourself should you lose the trail.

I use a lensatic compass, so I hold the compass near my face. If I have a camera in my shirt pocket, it will affect the compass.

I'll eventually send you an excel program to draw maps. I think it does use macros. It has been awhile since I've used it.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum