Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190441 - 05/01/15 01:39 PM Building up to do weekend then one week hikes...
Lance Boggs Offline

Hello all,

My first post here.

I have always been a day hiker, but my wife and I would like to branch out into doing some weekend hikes and then build up to doing a week long hike.

We live in Georgia, so I'm guessing some chunk of the Appalachian Trail will be involved.

After a back injury I'm just not in the shape I used to be, and so I'm working back up slowly and trying to figure out a good way to build up to longer hikes again focused on getting up to multiple day hikes up to a week.

Right now we hike one night after work at RedTop Mountain in GA, and one day at Kennesaw Mountain in GA, but these hikes are really only 3.5 miles which is pretty light.

What would some experienced hikers advice be to build up to weekend hikes, and then eventually to doing an entire week?

Many thanks,

Lance

#190442 - 05/01/15 01:56 PM Re: Building up to do weekend then one week hikes... [Re: Lance Boggs]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
If you can carry the pack, backpacking can be as vigorous or as easy as you would like. I've spent a weekend backpacking trip going less than 3.5 miles, so if your back is healthy enough to carry a pack there is no reason you can't backpack right now.

In terms of building up your stamina... any cardiovascular exercise is good. Walking up hills (or stairs) is probably the best training for... walking up hills.... smile

#190443 - 05/01/15 03:00 PM Re: Building up to do weekend then one week hikes... [Re: Lance Boggs]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
All those years I thought there was an over-abundance of young homeless people in my town. Turns out, they were probably long distance hikers training their bodies for the upcoming trip. My suggestion is to go for walks around your neighborhood with a full pack, let your body (shoulders and hips especially) get used to the weight going up and down hills. This "during the week" training will only add to your weekend day hikes from training perspective.

You will also give yourself a chance to break in any new equipment (boots, etc.)...

#190444 - 05/01/15 04:15 PM Re: Building up to do weekend then one week hikes... [Re: dylansdad77]
bluefish Offline

I would slowly increase the miles if you can find the time. The quickest way I've found to prepare for climbing with a pack is to load the pack and do stairs. I did this through March preparing for the Grand Canyon and it worked very well. We had no problem doing the river to rim in a day. My training varies for each intended long hike, it seems. Some we've trained for distance, others for large elevation gains. The AT has a combination of the two. Nothing beats the real thing for training. The Roan Mt. area (Tn/NC border) has some beautiful hiking without tremendous ups and downs. Perhaps start with a section of that nature. Do some reading on lightening your pack, too. Carrying less weight will help the back issues and make hiking far more fun. Don't be afraid to ask questions here about gear. This is the best forum I've seen for getting good, honest, helpful answers with no snark and BS.

#190459 - 05/03/15 07:14 PM Re: Building up to do weekend then one week hikes... [Re: bluefish]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By bluefish
The quickest way I've found to prepare for climbing with a pack is to load the pack and do stairs.

+1 except I recommend going without the pack first and once you can do a fair bit at a decent pace, add the pack, progressively increase the load as you get closer to trip time. We use the stadium bleachers at high school or college.

One thing we don't do enough of sometimes is doing it quick enough to keep the heart rate up for a long period so I plan to work on that more this year (we just started a week ago).

Edited by topshot (05/03/15 07:14 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum