Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190370 - 04/27/15 12:53 PM Loading Packs
Cass and Me Offline

Loc: MN
Hi all,

Noob here, and have put in for the lottery for a route in Glacier during July this year. Hope to get it. Starting to get gear, and come up with plans. My g/f and I are planning this trip, and we were thinking, would it make sense, to load one pack with gear/food, and the other pack with everything else? I have made many canoe trips to the BWCA, and we always have a food pack, equipment pack and personal pack. This trip will just be her and I, so does it make sense to have one personal pack for the both of us, and then a food/equipment pack? We'll have to hang out food for the night, so it would make sense to put most equipment in there as well? Just wondering how others pack, when going on a backcountry adventure with your g/f or wife?

Thanks,

#190372 - 04/27/15 01:08 PM Re: Loading Packs [Re: Cass and Me]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
While I cannot speak from experience, intuitively it would make sense for you both keep some bare necessities on your person. What happens if you get separated unexpectedly? There are people on this forum that have forgotten more than I will ever know about the backcountry and I am sure they will weight in, but that's my 2 cents...refunds are welcome...

#190373 - 04/27/15 01:14 PM Re: Loading Packs [Re: dylansdad77]
Cass and Me Offline

Dylan, thanks for the reply. I think your right, that each of us would have some bare necessities tucked away in one of the outer compartments of our pack, (matches, buff, a little food, etc.), that would be needed in an emergency.

This is a new adventure and is exciting to learn the ins and outs.

#190374 - 04/27/15 02:35 PM Re: Loading Packs [Re: Cass and Me]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
In my opinion, you should each carry enough gear with you to survive should you get separated. At a minimum, you should each have a sleeping bag and some sort of rain shelter with you and preferably enough no-cook food or food and stove and water treatment to get you back to civilization. You should also each carry your own clothes. I guess what I'm getting at is that you split the food load and each carry your own gear. Getting separated is probably not too likely but is much more survivable if each member of the party is more or less self-sufficient. And, you should each have your own map and compass and know how to use them to navigate.

Have a great trip.

#190375 - 04/27/15 03:00 PM Re: Loading Packs [Re: Pika]
Cass and Me Offline

Thank Pika for the reply, and it makes total sense. If we packed everything separately, then it would make sense to have a small pack for food, that we could hang, instead of having to repack both of our packs every day/night.

#190378 - 04/27/15 10:24 PM Re: Loading Packs [Re: Cass and Me]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
If two people have a chance of, or plan to separate, while hiking, then each needs to pack as a solo backpacker. When my husband and I go, we go as a pair, and always stay within sight of each other while walking. We will go off fishing different directions once in camp. The big issue then is who take the dog? We have a set "come home" time, but do not panic if someone is an hour late. Another friend and I backpack together but pack entirely separate, even cook separately and each of us has a tent. We stick together while walking (she is directionally challenged) but sometimes actually camp about 100 feet from each other. We both like our "space". Regardless of method, it is good to come up with an emergency plan of what each will do IF you get separated or someone "goes missing". If I were going with kids, I would take walkie-talkies and make them check in regularly.

#190382 - 04/28/15 09:44 AM Re: Loading Packs [Re: wandering_daisy]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Like Daisy, I hike with my spouse and within visual contact on the trail. I take the food, water filter, and tent, she takes the stove and dishes. We each carry our own sleeping bag, clothes, water and snacks for the day...

And I usually carry about 25% more weight, because I am bigger, stronger, and faster.

When We hike with others we ask them to hike between us--so they don't wander off into problems...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#190385 - 04/28/15 10:23 AM Re: Loading Packs [Re: Cass and Me]
Cass and Me Offline

Daisy and Bal,

Thank you so much for the insight. When I go canoe camping, it's not a big deal, since we are in a group, but I always have a enough supplies to stay alive if for some reason we got lost/capsized. This is our first long backpacking trip (3-4 nights), and we'll be in Glacier, so I don't forsee us getting lost or losing each other. I like the tip of each having enough supplies in an emergency situation.

#190396 - 04/28/15 12:52 PM Re: Loading Packs [Re: Cass and Me]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
If you pack this way, no matter what gets forgotten, it will be your fault.

#190403 - 04/28/15 01:54 PM Re: Loading Packs [Re: Gershon]
Cass and Me Offline

Originally Posted By Gershon
If you pack this way, no matter what gets forgotten, it will be your fault.

I'm used to it. haha

#190433 - 04/30/15 05:01 PM Re: Loading Packs [Re: Cass and Me]
bluefish Offline

My wife and I pack more for comfort and ability. She uses a smaller pack and it carries our sleeping gear and clothes. I carry tent, food and bear cannister, extra water, cookset . We each carry our own rain gear and snacks and enough liquid for the trail for that day. For a 3-4 day trip, on average I carry about 25-26 lbs. + extra water if needed, she carries about 14-15. I outweigh her by 70 lbs, and have about 5 inches in height. There's been a number of occasions on big uphills I've carried a considerably greater ratio. I've sized my pack accordingly.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum