Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190147 - 04/13/15 12:26 PM Please Help! I Can't Find Boots That Fit!
Skywalker Offline

Hey Guys,

This is my first post so please be gentle. I can't find boots that fit my feet. The front part of my foot is wide and my heel and ankle are narrow so any boots I try are either too snug on the front of my foot and fit the heel well, or my heel is moving around a bunch and the front of my foot is comfortable.

The boots I have now I got at Gander Mountain last minute on a trip up to Denali and they give me terrible blisters on my heel and front foot after a day and a half of hiking. I went to the REI in Pittsburgh last weekend and spent 2 hours trying on every single boot they had for backpacking just to find out my foot isn't a normal shape.

I'm really getting discouraged here. I love hiking and camping the North Country scenic trail by my house but anything over two days turns into an exercise in masochism. Are there boots out there that fit me? Do I need to spend my life savings on custom boots? are there special socks I can get to give me a wider heel? I'm really at the end of my wits here...

Thanks in advance!

#190148 - 04/13/15 12:47 PM Re: Please Help! I Can't Find Boots That Fit! [Re: Skywalker]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Why do you need boots? These days, most hikers wear lightweight trail runners. They are far lighter than boots, so there is far less fatigue. You can also find them in a larger variety of sizes and lasts. There are also lightweight "soft" boots which are basically high-cut versions of trail runners. However, all of them, at least the women's models, have goretex liners. The best place to look for trail runners is a running shoe store.

I have the same problem as you with boots. The other problem I had was with the goretex boot linings, which turn the interior of the boot into a sauna which causes blisters. I also have a wide forefoot and very narrow heels, plus hammer toes and bunions so that I need a high as well as a wide toe box. I also need good arch support. After a bout of plantar fasciitis, I bought separate supportive insoles--green Superfeet work well for me. I gave up on boots six years ago (I was one of those stubborn holdouts), found a pair of lightweight, well-ventilated trail runners that fit as though custom-made for me, and have never worn boots since. Nor have I ever gotten a blister since! I don't have to take wading shoes; I can wade through a stream and walk the shoes dry, which takes an hour or two.

When you find the perfect pair of shoes that stay that way after trail testing, be sure to buy several pair immediately. As sure as death and taxes, the manufacturer will change the last or discontinue the model next year, and you'll have to start looking all over again for a pair that fits!

If you are a climber and really need stiff leather boots for that, you'll probably have to bite the bullet and get a custom pair. I wouldn't wear them except for actual climbing, though. All my hiking is either on trails or, if off-trail, in relatively open country. Most climbers I know use trail runners for the approach hiking. However, one of our members here, Wandering_Daisy wears low cut shoes for climbing as well, just making sure that her shoes are crampon-compatible.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/13/15 01:33 PM)

#190149 - 04/13/15 12:49 PM Re: Please Help! I Can't Find Boots That Fit! [Re: Skywalker]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
You sound like a candidate for custom-made boots. Take a look at Limmer, who have a reputation for quality, fit and longevity. Probably not trail-sneaker light, though.

Cheers,

Edited by Rick_D (04/13/15 06:59 PM)

#190150 - 04/13/15 01:02 PM Re: Please Help! I Can't Find Boots That Fit! [Re: OregonMouse]
Skywalker Offline

Hey OregonMouse, I have a pair of trail runner shoes that are really well ventilated and fit me about as well as anything else. I've debated taking them out before but I worried about not having enough ankle support. I'm trying to get my pack weight down but right now its still 40lbs with water on a good day. The boots I have now have a lot of support but have almost 0 breath-ability and definitely turn into a sauna in boot form.

I'm not really a climber yet, but i'm not ruling it out down the road. Right now most of my hiking is in pretty hilly country with a decent amount of roots and rocks on the trail. Do you ever have issues with ankle support wearing trail runners instead of boots?

I may at least take my shoes this weekend when I go out and see how they perform for me with a pack.

#190151 - 04/13/15 01:04 PM Re: Please Help! I Can't Find Boots That Fit! [Re: Rick_D]
Skywalker Offline

Hey Rick_D, have you ever bought these? Any idea what they are going to rock me as far as price? I'm a poor indebted college grad so buying expensive custom boots is going to be a tough pill to swallow; especially with my rough history with boots.

Thanks!

#190152 - 04/13/15 01:31 PM Re: Please Help! I Can't Find Boots That Fit! [Re: Skywalker]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
worried about not having enough ankle support

Unless you've had problems in the past with weak ankles that fail under lateral stress, this is a theoretical worry. If you had a moderately active childhood and have maintained moderate physical activity into adulthood, your ankles are probably strong enough to walk on roots and rocks, even with a pack. I'm glad you're willing to give trail runner a try.

You should also look into using Superfeet insoles (about $40), or even custom orthotics($$$) to put into your footwear. This may allow you to buy a shoe with a wide toe box, even if it has a wider heel than you'd like, because the insole will cup your heel and stabilize it, so it would minimize the amount your heel slides around.

Getting your pack weight down well below 40 lbs is worth doing for the universal benefit of putting much less stress on all the muscles, joints and pressure points in your entire body. I heartily recommend it. It makes backpacking much more fun!

#190156 - 04/13/15 04:47 PM Re: Please Help! I Can't Find Boots That Fit! [Re: Skywalker]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I wear a size 11.5 EE boot. The only brand of hiking shoes that fits is Keen. Unfortunately, they don't fit good enough as they are still a little narrow in the toe box. The only running shoes that fit are New Balance size 12.5 wide. They are unsuitable for trails as they allow the foot to slide forward when going downhill and it causes compression problems on my toes.

I use these military combat boots by Danner. First, forget EVERYTHING you might know about the old black style combat boots. Also, forget EVERYTHING about a heavier boot causes a person to hike slower. It just isn't true as this theory does not consider the efficiency of a stable platform.

I've never been able to get these boots wet inside, even though I usually walk through streams instead of using stepping stones. The only thing I haven't tested is multi-day intense rainstorms such as on the Appalachian Trail.

I've never been able to get my feet too hot or too cold in these boots even though I've hiked in temperatures from 15 below to 110 or so on paved roads.

Military boots are the ONLY boots tested for walking efficiency and injury prevention. A couple years ago, this was the number one boot worn in Afghanistan by those who didn't wear the issue boots. In other words, they have been extensively field tested.

The leather is soft, so you won't need to break in your boots. Don't count on them stretching much if they feel tight when you try them on.

You can order boots from Danner and it's free return shipping if they don't fit. Or you can try to find a Danner store near you. There aren't too many around.

Don't make the mistake of buying the Danner Mountain Lights. They are good for expensive door stops, but they will always give blisters.

I have walked over 2,100 miles in these boots and then I stopped logging the miles. I did buy a second pair when I saw them on sale.

I think it takes a couple years to get Limmur boots. About eight months for Russell boots.

Socks do make a difference. The worst are white cotton socks. I've had success with various brands of wool socks, Thorlo synthetic socks and cotton/synthetic blends bought at police supply store which is open to everyone.

#190159 - 04/13/15 05:47 PM Re: Please Help! I Can't Find Boots That Fit! [Re: Gershon]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
New Balance. Look for the 4Es. I have had really good luck with New Balance....I have the exact problem as you do. I keep hearing about all these people with the same problem (wide toes, narrow heal), trying to figure out if we really are a minority. confused

Keens are hit and miss. Some times Merrells will work.

For boots, Gershon does have some really good advice. I was able to get military boots in XW (extra wide). Unfortunately, they don't do that in every brand, or with online retailers. You will really have to look around.

#190161 - 04/13/15 07:03 PM Re: Please Help! I Can't Find Boots That Fit! [Re: Skywalker]
Rick_D Offline

Never owned a pair myself, have known a few who have and it's a near lifetime relationship one forms with Limmers, as they can (shock) be re-soled as many times as needed.

Have no clue as to cost--doubtless a poor match for a tight budget. But a wide forefoot and narrow heel are darn hard to fit, as something that doesn't squeeze the toes usually means a slipping heel going uphill.

#190162 - 04/13/15 08:20 PM Re: Please Help! I Can't Find Boots That Fit! [Re: Skywalker]
Slowfoot Offline

Loc: Missouri
New Balance makes a fairly lightweight mid-high boot in 4E if you want to stick with boots. I'm not sure how wide the heel is, but it might be worth a try if you don't mind the Goretex and the $170 price tag. My husband wears them on his extra-wide feet for trail work. I thought they used to have a non-waterproof version, but I don't see it on their site now. I like a waterproof liner for cold weather, but I have abnormally cold feet and it's mostly for the extra warmth. The waterproofness has never lasted that long for me in any shoe I've had.

#190163 - 04/13/15 09:40 PM Re: Please Help! I Can't Find Boots That Fit! [Re: Skywalker]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Since you said "boots" and in a later post mentioned carrying a 40 pound pack, I quickly stepped into my way-back machine and saw that, when I carried a 40 pound pack, I wore Vasque Sundowner lightweight boots. They were very supportive and stable (had a steel shank, too!), and - for boots - were very comfortable. As I recall, they were GoreTex lined and didn't need a long break-in period. (The screen froze in the way-back, but I think I saw me buying them and taking them on a weekend trip straight out of the box. I don't recommend it, but I don't recall any problems, either.)

REI still carries them; I didn't check any other sites.

Nowadays, I carry 20 - 25 pounds, all in, depending on the trip length and season, and I'm very happy with a pair of Vasque trail shoes (also GoreTex lined.)

#190166 - 04/13/15 10:13 PM Re: Please Help! I Can't Find Boots That Fit! [Re: Skywalker]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By Skywalker
Hey OregonMouse, I have a pair of trail runner shoes that are really well ventilated and fit me about as well as anything else. I've debated taking them out before but I worried about not having enough ankle support. I'm trying to get my pack weight down but right now its still 40lbs with water on a good day.

Ankle support is mostly a myth. It may not be so bad with newer ones that are not so rigid, but what that "ankle support" really did was allow your ankles to just get weaker because they don't get used like they were supposed to be.

Even with 40 pounds I'd still never wear boots (for 3 season hiking). I started our Wind River trip with 40 instead of my normal 25-30 because I was carrying all of my son's food for a week as well. I wear Inov-8 Roclite 315 shoes.

As for your feet, I would suspect your best bet will be with New Balance as they offer more sizes and lasts than any other brand.

#190168 - 04/13/15 10:38 PM Re: Please Help! I Can't Find Boots That Fit! [Re: topshot]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
That's what i found--the real ankle support is in the footbed of the shoe! I used to turn my ankles several times a day when I wore boots, but in trail runners (admittedly, with very supportive footbeds) I never have. In fact, when I first tried trail runners, I tried to turn my ankles deliberately and couldn't--that's when I was convinced that I should switch.

That piece of leather or padding around your ankle really doesn't do much--the support is mostly psychological. To provide support at the ankle joint, the boot would have to be really stiff, like a cast or metal brace.

Have you checked out the articles on the home page of this site, left hand column? They will give you lots of ideas for lightening up,many without spending money. Take a look at the "27-pound, 7-day gear list." That's the model I used for lightening up--not necessarily the brands, but the weights.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/13/15 10:44 PM)

#190174 - 04/14/15 11:40 AM Re: Please Help! I Can't Find Boots That Fit! [Re: Skywalker]
Gershon Offline

I wouldn't give up on your Gander Mountain Boots just yet. Without knowing the exact model, I have to make an assumption. My assumption is the boots are a stiff leather.

If they are a stiff leather, they won't get comfortable (if they ever will get comfortable) until you break them in enough to get the crease on the toe box. The leather will also have to soften. I've found Kiwi polish works as well as anything to soften smooth leather. You can also buy Lexol conditioner at a tack (western) store to soften the leather. You can apply it with a paintbrush. It goes a long way, so the cost is low.

The leather in the heel should conform to your foot with enough miles and become comfortable.

My suggestion is to wear the boots around the house and take them off when they become uncomfortable. It will probably take about a month of doing this to become completely comfortable.

Some people's feet swell during the day. For these people, I recommend buying shoes late in the day. I'd also recommend taking an extra pair of thinner socks on a backpacking trip. If your feet swell, you could try changing the socks. It's better to test this at home.

#190207 - 04/15/15 10:22 AM Re: Please Help! I Can't Find Boots That Fit! [Re: OregonMouse]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I second topshot and OM. My experience is that ankle support is a myth. True ankle support is only found in ankle braces, or super heavy mountaineering boots. Many times I have gone over 50 lb loads with trail runners. And, I would never get turned ankles like I would with big leather hiking boots.

#190229 - 04/16/15 12:54 PM Re: Please Help! I Can't Find Boots That Fit! [Re: finallyME]
Gershon Offline

If people wore stiff boots that truly gave ankle support, they would probably twist a knee instead.

I agree with OM that a stable platform is better for support. Those times I wear hiking shoes instead of my boots on the trails, I find the foot motion annoying.

In my opinion, the number of miles a person has walked on uneven terrain is the biggest factor. After many miles, the reactions go into the subconscious which is faster than the conscious mind.

Personally, I'm more worried about getting hit by a meteorite than spraining my ankle.

#190234 - 04/16/15 03:46 PM Re: Please Help! I Can't Find Boots That Fit! [Re: Gershon]
Rick_D Offline

Thoughts from somebody with two reconstructed ankles.

Shoe/boot height is less important than stability and fit, but those items being equal, height can still provide some added benefit. I'm currently in favor of mid-height as it limits debris without gaiters and shields the ankles from bruising when I knock into things.

Fatigue and trail conditions are big players. Typical Sierra trails are rockstrewn loose dirt meanders, perfect for rolling an ankle. Conditions that don't present a problem early in the day can be murder at four in the afternoon, so may more, not leas attention as the clock winds on. Uphill is generally never a problem while descending can be treacherous.

Trekking poles. Thanks to them I still have a backpacking hobby.

Cheers,

#191083 - 06/22/15 10:32 PM Re: Please Help! I Can't Find Boots That Fit! [Re: Skywalker]
bob1900 Offline

lots of info here. lightweight trail runners merit consideration.

#191140 - 06/25/15 12:52 PM Re: Please Help! I Can't Find Boots That Fit! [Re: bob1900]
sotafan Offline

Loc: Minnesota
If you have a boot that fits your wider front and you like it but need something to widen the heel, there are a few things that might work.

Get an ankle support--This will widen your heel without making the front to narrow. This could also work if you were worried about trail runners and ankle support. I use these when I play softball or football as I have weaker ankles.

Get a pair of thicker socks and cut the front of the sock off. This would widen your heel and ankle to prevent blisters. Of course you would need to where a full pair of socks for the rest of your foot.

Insert some type of foam or thicker liner into your boot to widen the heel area.

Buy a BIG bag of mole skin and place in the areas you are having issues. Not ideal but a easy fix.

Those are just a few ideas of making what you have work since all of the boots you tried gave you the same result.

I recently brought a pair of new boots, I got the Ahnu Coburn's and love them. They are VERY breathable and fit like a glove.

Hope this helps. Good Luck

#191146 - 06/26/15 09:11 AM Re: Please Help! I Can't Find Boots That Fit! [Re: Skywalker]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
If you are still considering purchasing boots, you might want to try "steel-toe-shoes.com". I know, intuitively, it doesn't make sense to shop for hiking gear on an industrial boot/shoe website, but I found a pair of Keen Detroit Mid soft-toe boots on this website about 2 years ago and I love them for the heavy duty hiking. Tread is phenomenal, waterproofing is above average and the trademark wrapped toebox is worth it's weight in gold for a clumsy walker like me. I don't recall their return policy, but they do have a decent selection of boots to augment the usual places.

#191842 - 09/11/15 05:33 AM Re: Please Help! I Can't Find Boots That Fit! [Re: Skywalker]
kd6hul Offline

Loc: West Virginia
You mentioned going to REI in Pittsburgh. If you are in the Pittsburgh area, head up I-79 to Sharon, PA. There's a shoe store there called Reyer's. It's 36000 sq ft of shoes, and they specialize in hard to fit feet like ours (I wear 15EE). Not affiliated or anything, just a happy customer.

Another option is Benny's Boot Hill in Bridgeport, WV. If you want to go the mil boot or work boot route (I wear Thorogood work boots when hiking, and get them at Benny's) they carry them and can handle odd sizing/fitting. Plus they'll generally have boots you can try in stock.

One other word of advice from someone who lives in his boots.. look for boots that can be resoled, rather than boots that have soles that are molded to the uppers. They are made better and generally fit/break-in better, they can handle insoles or orthotics better, and when the time comes, you can have them resoled. Just my .02, ymmv.

Jeff

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 154 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum