Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189716 - 03/18/15 11:06 AM Gear Review: Hydrapak Stash Collapsible Bottle
HikingGeek Offline

At 2.25 ounces, this bottle probably doesn't qualify as lightweight, but I'm not sure where else to post my question. Please remove if not appropriate.

Does anyone use collapsible or foldable bottles? I've been using the Hydrapak Stash for the last month, at home, work, the gym and on the trail. So far I have been impressed.

Gear Review: Hydrapak Stash Collapsible Bottle

For those that do use this type of bottle, do you ever mix electrolyte replacement drinks in them?

#189719 - 03/18/15 12:36 PM Re: Gear Review: Hydrapak Stash Collapsible Bottle [Re: HikingGeek]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I have used collapsible bottles on the trail for more than a decade now. I use the 2-liter Platypus bottles, mainly because they are readily available, durable and provide good utility for their weight. I know they are very durable because I've given them plenty of use, folding them and unfolding them hundreds of times. Only once has a bottle sprung a leak and it was a pinhole-sized leak that didn't cause any real grief before I discovered it.

I never mix any form of flavored powder in my water bottles, because I like to drink plain water on the trail.

Your review isn't very detailed. What size bottle are you using which weighs 2.25 ounces? What is it that impresses you about these bottles? What led you to select this bottle over others? About the only thing I can tell about them from your post is that they come in orange, have a slightly wide mouth and a small strap attached.

#189723 - 03/18/15 02:15 PM Re: Gear Review: Hydrapak Stash Collapsible Bottle [Re: HikingGeek]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Interesting. Wider mouth than most Platys means easier filling, cleaning and drying.

What's "TPU"? Is it puncture-resistant, patchable? Is water taste-free after sitting in the sun?

Cheers,

#189725 - 03/18/15 03:04 PM Re: Gear Review: Hydrapak Stash Collapsible Bottle [Re: Rick_D]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The nice thing about collapsible bottles is that you can take extra water storage for basically no extra space in your pack. For extra storage (used mainly when camped), I use Evernew bottles, primarily because the lid is attached to the bottle with a plastic thong, so no worries about the lid's ending up a hundred feet down the hill below the trail! For drinking on the trail I use Smart Water bottles which have the handy fliptop lid. You have to pay for the water, but after that the bottle is free or (in Oregon) 5 cents. Those bottles are tough, too, and last a long time. I have some that are three years old that I can't tell from ones purchased last fall. I wish I'd marked them so I could tell them apart!

HG, I also would like to know the capacity of your bottle. Unless it's at least 2.5 liters, it is far heavier than I'd want to carry. For comparison, the Evernew 2 liter bottle is 1.5 oz.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/18/15 03:13 PM)

#189751 - 03/19/15 04:26 PM Re: Gear Review: Hydrapak Stash Collapsible Bottle [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
There is one other advantage to collapsible bottles: when you drink out of them, you can collapse them to take up the empty space...so you don't have to listen to your water bottles gurgle and splash with every step you take along the trail.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#189754 - 03/19/15 05:57 PM Re: Gear Review: Hydrapak Stash Collapsible Bottle [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
The space-saving thing is a bit misleading. Yes, they take up no space when they're empty. But, when they're full, the need the same amount of space as a hard bottle. Now, it's normally only for a few hours, so in a well-planned load, you'll be able to accomodate it: a sleeping pad can strap on the outside for a few hours, you'll have an expansion sleeve that can be expanded, or you can lash the water to the outside of the pack.

But, if you're going to leave the extra space in your pack in a "permanent" way, say by using a 60 liter pack instead of a 50, then the space saved (or "reserved" for the full bottle makes collapsibility somewhat extraneous.

Having said that, I will also say that I carry collapsible bladders regularly. I don't use bottles, per se; I use an MSR Dromlite, which (filled with air or water) makes a really nice pillow.

#189791 - 03/21/15 12:09 PM Re: Gear Review: Hydrapak Stash Collapsible Bottle [Re: HikingGeek]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I use inexpensive collapsible bottles like this. They're only a a buck or two and pretty lightweight. I use a Britta Squeeze Charcoal Filter with them.

"You want to go where?"

#189836 - 03/24/15 05:11 PM Re: Gear Review: Hydrapak Stash Collapsible Bottle [Re: aimless]
HikingGeek Offline

There is currently only one Stash available - 750 ml. My main reason for wanting a collapsible bottle when hiking:

Quote:
In the Sierra, all “smellables” must be stored in a bear canister overnight. A bottle that’s been filled with an electrolyte drink may or may not fit this description depending on who you ask, but I’d rather be safe than sorry. A collapsed Stash (2" tall x 3.5" diameter) would easily fit in a bear canister without taking up much space.

Why I like it over other things I've tried:
Quote:

*It’s free-standing, unlike similar products. You can take the cap off and place the bottle on a flat surface and not worry about it falling over.
*When my pack is full, I’ve had a hard time getting some plastic bottles to fit. The flexible sides of the Stash work better.
*In the past, I used old Gatorade or Powerade bottles to carry water. When they’re empty, they tend to fall out of my pack’s side pockets. The Stash has a loop that I attach to my pack, or I can put it inside my pack since it is so small.
*The large mouth on the Stash allows for easy cleaning and the bottle works great for electrolyte powders and drops.

Much of this is obviously personal preference. Based on some suggestions I have received, I am going to look at the Nalgene Canteen, Vapur collapsible water bottles, and Evernew bottles. Any other suggestions?

I am realizing the bottle doesn't qualify as lightweight. Should it be posted somewhere else, or not at all? I am still feeling my way around this forum.

#189839 - 03/24/15 07:28 PM Re: Gear Review: Hydrapak Stash Collapsible Bottle [Re: HikingGeek]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Speaking for myself, your review is certainly welcome. I suspect when it comes to something as "dialed in" as water transport is for many, it takes something pretty dramatic to get us to reconsider our standbys.

Cheers,

#189859 - 03/26/15 07:09 PM Re: Gear Review: Hydrapak Stash Collapsible Bottle [Re: HikingGeek]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
I generally take on each trip:
2 L Platypus bag (for collecting dirty water - doubles as my pillow)
1/2 L Sawyer bag (for the rare powdered drink mix)
1 L Powerade/Gatorade bottle (what I normally drink from)

I've not had a problem with the Platypus or Sawyer bags not standing up on flat ground without a cap.

As you mentioned, I have lost 1 empty Gatorade bottle while bushwhacking down a brushy, steep hillside.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum