Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188985 - 02/09/15 11:15 AM trekking poles are they worth it?
jokker78 Offline

Loc: Beaumont Tx
Are trekking poles worth it ? Do they help? I am gearing up to take a short two day Trip. The trip is only about ten miles. If I decide to try trekking poles should I buy good ones or just cheap ones from Walmart to see if I like them ?

#188986 - 02/09/15 11:29 AM Re: trekking poles are they worth it? [Re: jokker78]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
My abbreviated advice is to try them out before you sink much money into buying a high-end pair. Borrow some, or buy the cheapest you can get; thrift stores sometimes have old ski poles you could experiment with.

Some people find trekking poles to be indispensable, especially people with knee, ankle or hip problems. Others are perfectly happy without them, because after all people have been walking for thousands of years and poles have always been optional. But in between these two ends of the spectrum I see many hikers who bought trekking poles, but don't appear to have a clue how to use them properly and are merely stabbing at the ground somewhat randomly. Try not to fall into this last group.

#188989 - 02/09/15 02:39 PM Re: trekking poles are they worth it? [Re: aimless]
AdventureMyk Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
My trekking poles have saved my butt a few times when hiking slippery rocks and creek crossings with a 35-45lb pack on. Around East TN and west NC the rocks are coated with what I affectionately nicknamed 'teflon coated snail snot.' Engines who could get this stuff in their cylinders would never need oil. lol That said, going up steeper things where you might almost be hand over hand they can be useful and going down longer slopes (extend them a bit) and they just make it feel a bit more confident. Add in leaf season (late fall/winter) where unexpected mud and polished clay can have you start to slip and you'll find they are handy to have.

I wasn't sure at first so I tried a pair of Walmart ones ($19.99 for 2, twist-lock, nice height, still spring-loaded to take the shock off, etc) and frankly I liked them well enough save for the rubber grip meant very rapidly sweaty palms. Sweaty to the point it was streaming down my wrists.

A short while later I was in a local outfitter looking at the Leki's and ran across a very nice pair of MountainSmith Carbon's that are about half the weight, maybe less, work the same (but are a hair longer), and have a cork handle with a foam 'assist' lower that you an grab onto while climbing. I played with these and the Leki's around the store and I couldn't find the value difference between this $70 pair and the $150+ Leki's. A year and 30 hikes later they still look/work like they are brand new and now three friends have picked up the same pairs and are just as happy.

$20 is a cheap way to figure out if you like it and they will still support trekking pole tents. If you like them it's very hard to beat the Mountainsmith poles for $70-75 (or cheaper if you find them on sale).

The Walmart set is below and most stores seem to have them:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Products-Apex-Trekking-Pole-Set-Black/36549842

Wow! Just found my carbons for $58 which beats the $70 I paid hands down!
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Mou...22/product.html

Hope this is a help.

#188990 - 02/09/15 02:53 PM Re: trekking poles are they worth it? [Re: AdventureMyk]
jokker78 Offline

Loc: Beaumont Tx
I wonder if the overstock ones are a pole or a set ? Not a bad price

#188999 - 02/09/15 06:44 PM Re: trekking poles are they worth it? [Re: jokker78]
AdventureMyk Offline

That's for a set. I have picked up a few nice things from Overstock, including the Little Joey Travel chairs that work great on my backpack or kayak. Most places they are $75-85, at Overstock I got 'em for $50. Fast service, etc. We have a few things out of there now. smile

#189000 - 02/09/15 07:40 PM Re: trekking poles are they worth it? [Re: AdventureMyk]
bluefish Offline

I really like them for slippery conditions, stream crossings, and steep downhills. They also can help set up a tarp shelter to cook under when its raining if you don't use them as tent poles.
Very much a essential part of our gear . This weekend they worked as ski poles while snowshoeing and knocked down tons of snow from branches over the trail that would have gone down our necks. eek I often use them to whack wet low branches, too, when we're not wearing rain gear. Basically, I'm seconding what AdventureMyk said.

#189002 - 02/09/15 11:59 PM Re: trekking poles are they worth it? [Re: bluefish]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
My wife loves hers, and won't hike without them.

I find them to be unnecessary, extra weight, and PITA.

We're both smart, reasonable people.

You'll just have to try them and see how they work for you.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#189003 - 02/10/15 12:18 AM Re: trekking poles are they worth it? [Re: jokker78]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
There is a technique to using them. I use re-tasked ski poles because I don't like the "buzz" the telescoping poles make, and a ski pole won't collapse on hard downhills.
My wife, however, loves her telescoping poles. I hike with at least one and usually two poles.

So, if you have some ski poles, try them as trekking poles. I've also looked at the Walmart poles and found they were quite solid for the money. But...learn the technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lof4iTdAivk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgmgxuEkN30

#189004 - 02/10/15 01:19 AM Re: trekking poles are they worth it? [Re: Dryer]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Pete's Poles Page--everything you ever wanted to know about using trekking poles!

I personally hate the "shock absorbing" poles--they are horribly noisy (a loud click click click every step), make the poles heavier, and really aren't needed. The shock absorbing feature can be turned off (first thing I did after trying it out), but you still have the extra weight.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/10/15 11:45 PM)
Edit Reason: correct link

#189005 - 02/10/15 07:23 AM Re: trekking poles are they worth it? [Re: jokker78]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I'm a recent convert. For years I used a single walking staff re. Colin Fletcher. Before that, as a mountaineer, I carried an ice axe. So, I have most always had something in my hand to help with balance. I started using poles about a year ago because of age-related balance issues and quickly came to like them. Not only do they help with balance but they also make walking a bit easier, especially on up- and down-grades.

But, there is a technique to learn in using them. Lacking proper technique, poles are more of a hindrance than a help. I see a lot of hikers with poles just sort of walking along tapping the ground in front of them and occasionally tripping over one or another pole. Proper use is similar to pole use in cross-country skiing: one gives a bit of foreward thrust to each stride for level and uphill. Downhill use is different, poles are used to hold one back a bit.

They aren't for everyone nor are they always a help. I go back to using a single pole on difficult trail and/or going cross country.

If you decide to try them, I have two recommendations: make sure they are properly adjusted, your forearm should be parallel with the ground on level trail and; learn the correct poling technique. The "Pete's Poles" site recommended by OM is a great place to start learning.

Simple, twist lock, aluminum poles are a good way to start. I prefer the cork composition grip. Super light poles tend to be fragile in my limited experience.

#189018 - 02/10/15 11:22 PM Re: trekking poles are they worth it? [Re: jokker78]
ryan54 Offline

Loc: CA
I have a horrible right ankle, so using trekking poles became a necessity. Even on shorter trips I'll take them along and at the end of the day I notice a different in how I feel - less sore. If they are used properly, they do help take a load off and can make your trip a little easier. Even if it's just 10 miles, you might feel less sore in your knees and hips than without them.

#189501 - 03/03/15 01:19 AM Re: trekking poles are they worth it? [Re: jokker78]
adamlogan Offline

Thanks for the link to Pete's Pole Pages. I wonder if elbow/wrist problems might develop?

Thinking of longer treks, I can't imagine it being a issue on a typical weekend hike.

#189502 - 03/03/15 01:24 AM Re: trekking poles are they worth it? [Re: adamlogan]
AdventureMyk Offline

I can't imagine elbow-wrist problems from using trekking poles as once you are in the rhythm they are following along with what your body does naturally. (The normal swing of your arms when you walk). I can see them saving ankles, knees, and the odd fall since they have managed to do all three for me at various times.

#189504 - 03/03/15 01:43 AM Re: trekking poles are they worth it? [Re: AdventureMyk]
OregonMouse Offline

Using the wrist straps as shown in Pete's Pole Pages, I have no problems with carpal tunnel syndrome (which I had pretty badly before I retired). Without the straps, I'd continue to have problems.

#189507 - 03/03/15 10:35 AM Re: trekking poles are they worth it? [Re: OregonMouse]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"Using the wrist straps as shown in Pete's Pole Pages, I have no problems with carpal tunnel syndrome (which I had pretty badly before I retired). Without the straps, I'd continue to have problems."

I've not looked at the reference cited, but I'm a long-time two-stick hiker and have never had significant elbow problems. I have (very very rarely) had some tendinitis in wrists/forearms, and I would guess that OM's reference to use of straps refers to this. Bottom line is if you're using poles a lot or over a long period, I suggest that you don't squeeze the pole handle too hard. I generally try to put most of the force on the pole strap and grip gently with my hand or not at all.

This is clearly not the only answer (?). I have a long distance hiking friend who never uses pole straps, but just in general he uses his poles in a pretty different way. And a couple years ago I bought a pair of extremely light, compact poles for traveling that had such a whimpy pole strap attachment that just in a short test hike I ripped the pole strap off --- I recently noticed these for sale with the same attachment method, so I have to conclude that this manufacturer assumes no real extended force on the pole straps.

Dunno, but if you do end up with soreness in the wrist/forearm area, I'd suggest trying to push more of the force onto the pole straps in order to grip the pole handle less.

#189508 - 03/03/15 12:04 PM Re: trekking poles are they worth it? [Re: jokker78]
carbeque Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
I tried trekking poles for the first time on a day hike last year. Man, they made a huge difference for me! I had just lost a bunch of weight and was out there to really see how "hard I can hit the trail", and they allowed me to do a lot of the work with my upper body, both preserving my legs and improving performance. The ones I used were those cheap Walmart ones. The telescoping joints slipped on me twice, but I probably didn't have them tightened correctly. I also found them very valuable for doing things like crossing streams. I can see how proper technique is key... I should do some research on that. I felt like I was using them well while going up the hills, so maybe I got lucky, maybe it could be better... I don't know.

I ended up buying a set of these $50 carbon poles, but haven't tried them on a hike yet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EJP43FA/

-Rodney

#189593 - 03/09/15 07:53 PM Re: trekking poles are they worth it? [Re: jokker78]
Matt Keenan Offline

Loc: California
Go cheap they are not for everyone. They do take some getting used to I personally just use a fire-hardened bamboo stick from my back yard, I have used traditional trekking poles. This was due to switching to a tarp shelter, which is great weight savings with them. I remember my neighbor brouhgt a pair of 12 dollar poles on a trip and I liked them better than my 60 dollar rei ones. So cost doesn't reflect value always. Hope this helps, enjoy your trip.
Happy trails
Matt

#189594 - 03/09/15 11:15 PM Re: trekking poles are they worth it? [Re: Matt Keenan]
AdventureMyk Offline

Walmart has a pair of decent black ones for $19. Yep, that's for the pair. I got that set to see if I liked them and they became the 'guest set' when I picked up some $75 carbon fiber Mountainsmith sets. Can't find any real difference between my $75 set and the $150 Lekie's that everyone seems to love. Both have cork handles, about the same weight, same twist-locks, etc.

#189600 - 03/10/15 03:47 PM Re: trekking poles are they worth it? [Re: AdventureMyk]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I just bought the same WalMart cheapies - plan on testing them out next month on my first 2015 overnighter. Fingers crossed...

#189630 - 03/12/15 02:24 PM Re: trekking poles are they worth it? [Re: jokker78]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
Pete’s Pole pages are for proper practicing people who use poles that are >6oz and don’t want to be pole-less people anymore (say 10x real fast).
Those who use the 2.7oz GG poles use a completely different technique.
No straps needed. This allows:
1. Very easy use. It’s natural. No video to watch (most people use straps wrong and thus need a video or pictures).
2. Much more hand range of motion for quick pole placement.
3. No death grips (needed if going strapless on heavy poles). Simple firm grips are all that’s required to propel forward.
4. In fact the constant grip/relax stride that becomes habit totally eliminates hand swelling that pole-less people have.
5. No more yanked wrists when the pole tip gets jammed in a rock crevice or sucked in to wet clay, etc.,
6. Both poles can easily be used in one hand when a free hand is needed (for pictures, drinking, umbrella holding, etc.,)
7. Impossible to get forearm soreness since poles are so light.
8. They float for that accident stream crossing.
9. Strapless is one of the best ways to do hand-muscle exercises while backpacking. Use it or lose it.:)

The only thing I miss is GG used to use foam handles. I prefer that over cork handles.

There are a lot more reasons of why poles are great in the wilderness but I’m just addressing the 2.7oz method.

-May everyone find their pole to life’s RC equation.
-Barry

#189633 - 03/12/15 04:15 PM Re: trekking poles are they worth it? [Re: BarryP]
OregonMouse Offline

On the other hand, with straps there's no risk of your poles going off the cliff while you're taking pictures! laugh

#189966 - 04/02/15 04:20 PM Re: trekking poles are they worth it? [Re: jokker78]
SurvivalDad Offline

They have saved me several times. I didn't spend a lot on mine. They seem to work fine and have held up for 4 years now.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 154 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum