Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189486 - 03/02/15 10:59 AM Pot Suggestions
beber Offline

I need to finalize a camp cook set and I really like the functionality of some of the GSI cook sets, but they are heavy. I was thinking then on just buying a small ti pot. However, recently I was told that you can only boil water in ti and not cook in it. Is this true? Is there a good compromise between a 3 oz ti pot and a 10 oz aluminum or SS one? Thanks.

#189487 - 03/02/15 11:14 AM Re: Pot Suggestions [Re: beber]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I only use Ti cookware and mostly cook my meals. It's much easier to burn/scortch food in Ti but good technique gets around that.

They seem truly indestructible and really are light. I have MSR, Evernew, Primus and Vargo brand.

#189488 - 03/02/15 11:57 AM Re: Pot Suggestions [Re: Rick_D]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I prefer anodized aluminum for real cooking--it distributes heat so much better and is far less apt to end up with scorched food stuck to inside. It's worth the extra couple of ounces! Of course, I rarely cook--just boil water to rehydrate my home-dried (or occasionally supermarket) food. Titanium is fine for that. I do take a small aluminum fry pan when I'm fishing, just on the off chance I might catch something. laugh It's less than an ounce more than a Ti fry pan.

For those on a budget, consider the Stanco grease pot (just toss the grease filter). Amazon has it for about $10 and you may still find one for less at KMart as I did. Yes, it gets dented after a while so is good for only 2-3 years, but you can buy half a dozen for the price of one Ti pot. Because it's thin, though, it's primarily for boiling water.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/02/15 12:10 PM)

#189490 - 03/02/15 01:39 PM Re: Pot Suggestions [Re: OregonMouse]
AdventureMyk Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Beber, I run the GSI Pinnacle Dualist (have 2) and Soloist (only one). They are really not that heavy when you consider what all they have in them and nothing says you have to take everything that comes with the kit (though we shucked the cheapy collapsable sporks on the first opening and replaced them with nylon-like $0.89 centers out of REI. Much better, easier to clean, and can't scratch the inside of the pots). If you don't want all 4 bowls and such, leave two at home, etc. That I can keep my MSR stove, fuel, cooking oil (small nagalene-like canister), cleaning gear and everything else in side of either of them saves room.

I was sold on them the first time I saw them when someone else in our group was using them. I wondered why he spent the extra $$$ on the Pinnacle vs. the regular. He deliberately burned a pair of eggs, handed me the regular one and it took some significant scrubbing over half an hour to get most of it out. He simply flipped the pinnacle upside down, tapped the bottom, then wiped out the residue with a paper towel. Six seconds or less and good to go!

Two years and probably 60 trips later they still look/perform brand new. Add to that I get bored and cook things like rice, pasta, or stuffing at my desk while I'm on the computer (it's fun and amuses the cats), and have even used them on the stove at home (gas) when trying new things before taking them on the trail and so far I'm 1,100% satisfied. Easy to cook with, consistent, strong, clean, and remain in new condition for ages? What's not to like for around $50-65?

#189495 - 03/02/15 05:39 PM Re: Pot Suggestions [Re: AdventureMyk]
bluefish Offline

x2 on the dualist. Ours has been used and used and still functions as new. Pasta with the lid with strainer, scrambled eggs with no sticking. I've had lots of cookware, I'll never use anything else. I choose to carry the little extra weight for my wife and I because it's just so darn functional and we can eat really well with it.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum