Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189022 - 02/11/15 10:36 AM Staying hydrated
Tortoise Offline

Curious to learn any new tips or tricks to keeping myself hydrated on the trail . Drinking enough water is something I tend to have to REMIND myself to do when I'm hiking to the next fishing hole.
Tortoise

#189027 - 02/11/15 12:01 PM Re: Staying hydrated [Re: Tortoise]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
The only trick I know for staying hydrated is nothing new. Ever since I clipped a drinking tube with a bite valve to my shoulder strap, which allows me to just grab a sip whenever I think of it, without having to pull my water bottle out of wherever I stored it, I find that I drink more water and drink more frequently. This system removes every obstacle between when the thought occurs to me and when I've taken a sip. It works for me.

#189037 - 02/11/15 05:32 PM Re: Staying hydrated [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I generally stop for a break about 10 minutes out of every hour, and that's when I pull out the water bottle.

I also "camel up" before leaving the car or camp and when replenishing at water sources along the way. It's easier to carry the water in my tummy than on my back!

#189042 - 02/12/15 09:55 AM Re: Staying hydrated [Re: OregonMouse]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Granted I haven't practiced it much, but I've heard the "camel up" advice (in not so few words) from multiple hikers, so I tend to think it's good advice.

#189051 - 02/12/15 12:51 PM Re: Staying hydrated [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I generally stop for a break about 10 minutes out of every hour, and that's when I pull out the water bottle.

I also "camel up" before leaving the car or camp and when replenishing at water sources along the way. It's easier to carry the water in my tummy than on my back!

That's what we do. We hike as a couple, and every 30 minutes we stop to make sure everybody is OK. That's when we check. If either one of us wants some water, we both drink. This is a clear case of two heads being better than one. We always drink at least once an hour...and on hot days and steep trails more often than that.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#189113 - 02/15/15 01:42 PM Re: Staying hydrated [Re: Tortoise]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
What others said, but adding my 2 cents.

It's not the end of the world to get a little dehydrated barring any unusual medical conditions. In fact, I think a person should learn what it feels like in a safe environment, so they don't panic if they find themselves in that situation on the trail.

One thing I've learned road walking in temperatures over 100 degrees is it's more important to conserve sweat than to drink water. When it's 100 degrees, the temperature above the pavement is about 140 degrees, so it can get toasty.

To conserve sweat in these conditions, I get off the road every 10 or 15 minutes and find a shady spot for a couple minutes until I cool down. Usually, I can make it at least 10 miles in these conditions without drinking water. Less in the beginning of the year when I'm not acclimated.

Same idea with backpacking. Don't charge uphill on a hot day and end up soaking wet.

#189172 - 02/18/15 12:38 PM Re: Staying hydrated [Re: Gershon]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
That sounds absolutely miserable, Gershon. My advice on a day like that would be "go to the lake".

#189173 - 02/18/15 01:26 PM Re: Staying hydrated [Re: Tortoise]
Tortoise Offline

Thanks to everyone for your input . In the past I've prehydrated , but the notion of taking a trailbreak is one that I have to remind myself to do . Thanks again, Tortoise .

#189251 - 02/20/15 01:09 AM Re: Staying hydrated [Re: Tortoise]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
Counting ounces thruout the day and cameling up at water sources.

#189256 - 02/20/15 10:53 AM Re: Staying hydrated [Re: ndwoods]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
On our trip to Death Valley, we took what we hoped would be enough water for the two of us for an overnight backpacking trip: Slightly more than a gallon per person for 24 hours. In terms of water bottles, it was 14 quarts, and that turned out to be about right. We drank three quarts during our hike to the campsite (this was, after all, Death Valley) and then used another three quarts for dinner. And then used another two quarts for breakfast the next day…and drank two more on the way out. So we drank ten quarts (five quarts per person) over the 24 hours of the hike. We were a little under-hydrated on the first day, as we were hiking in the afternoon sun. And we had some water left over (which is not a bad thing in the desert). If we were to do it again, we’d probably take about the same.

In the Sierra, of course, you can fill your water bottles along the way. We generally only take four quart bottles for the two of us on those hikes. We always camp near water, so we don’t need to worry about carrying the water for dinner or breakfast. And we start the day with four full bottles---enough to get us through lunch and into dinner. Some people prefer to carry less weight, and may only carry one bottle per person---or even hike from stream to lake and drink what’s available. But we don’t like to take the time to pump and filter while we are on the trail—we prefer to hike. So we carry a little extra weight, and stop less often to pull out our water filter.

Either way works, as long as you keep drinking enough water.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#189267 - 02/20/15 05:59 PM Re: Staying hydrated [Re: balzaccom]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Balzac, my water planning for the desert is pretty much the same as yours. I hike a lot in low humidity, hot, water-scarce parts of Arizona, New Mexico and West Texas. I typically figure on four liters per day unless it is exceptionally hot. When it gets really hot (>100 degrees F), I will either stay at home, go to sure water sources, or carry a 2 liter per day reserve. Water weight adds up quickly so my really hot weather trips are generally short, or postponed.

When I'm in the Sierra, I seldom carry more than a liter. Usualy, that will last me all day but on occasion I need to stop and filter.

I think than one can adapt physiologically to hot climates in ways that reduce ones need for water. I lived in the Pacific Northwest for a large part of my life before moving to the southwest. I drink less water now than I did when first I moved to Arizona. I also don't worry too much if I get a little dehydrated as long as I have water available to drink but I certainly don't push the issue very much.

#189276 - 02/21/15 06:46 AM Re: Staying hydrated [Re: 4evrplan]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By 4evrplan
That sounds absolutely miserable, Gershon. My advice on a day like that would be "go to the lake".

It's not miserable since I'm used to it. It's just another environment.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum