Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188175 - 12/20/14 11:39 PM Precooked bacon?
Mr. Jowee Offline

I've never tried it before. Looks to be pretty calorie dense (130 calories per ounce), mostly from fat. Nutritional info can be found here: https://mobile.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/oscar-mayer/fully-cooked-bacon?showFacts=True .

Anyone tried this stuff?

#188176 - 12/21/14 05:41 AM Re: Precooked bacon? [Re: Mr. Jowee]
bluefish Offline

The Oberto company makes bacon jerky that is very near to tasting like the real thing. I found out about it from AT thru hikers. It's become a staple in our packs.

#188181 - 12/21/14 02:39 PM Re: Precooked bacon? [Re: Mr. Jowee]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I've used precooked bacon as part of my backcountry meals at least a dozen times over the past 5 years. It works for me. Just realize it will add a fair amount of salt to whatever you put it in.

#188187 - 12/22/14 01:53 AM Re: Precooked bacon? [Re: bluefish]
dkramalc Offline

Loc: California
+1 for the Oberto bacon jerky. I bought a pack from Amazon recently, opened it at home one evening just before bedtime "just to test one little bit" and ended up scarfing the entire package. blush It was amazing. And the texture was just how I like my bacon done - cooked but not too dry and crunchy.

Now I have two more packages, and have pledged not to open them until I am on a backpacking trip with them. You are all my witnesses.

#188572 - 01/14/15 05:50 PM Re: Precooked bacon? [Re: Mr. Jowee]
ratbastard Offline

Boars head precooked Bacon is a bit pricier than its competition but it come in two separate plastic bags, which is nice for portioning.

#189046 - 02/12/15 10:25 AM Re: Precooked bacon? [Re: Mr. Jowee]
PaHiker Offline

Loc: Western Pa, USA
I tried it once, limp, if you like your bacon that way. I have also made my own bacon at home (fully cooked) and taken it along with no problems. If you're adding it into a recipe Bacos is probably cheaper, and tastes the same.

Bacon jerky is just old-fashioned bacon, before the industries got hold of it and started selling it in vacuum packages. You can find fully smoked bacon in some larger grocery stores, or in a butcher shop. They are salted and fully smoked, just like jerky.

#189047 - 02/12/15 10:40 AM Re: Precooked bacon? [Re: Mr. Jowee]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I took some on an overnight a couple weeks ago. That and the Snickers were the best things I had. Well, and maybe the cheddar crackers.

#189049 - 02/12/15 11:21 AM Re: Precooked bacon? [Re: 4evrplan]
PaHiker Offline

Oh, God, Snickers and cheddar crackers, close to heaven on the trail. Next month we're backpacking in Arizona, bummer that Snickers is off the menu. Tried it last year and it was a melted mess.

#189057 - 02/12/15 07:07 PM Re: Precooked bacon? [Re: PaHiker]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I wonder how long they'd keep if you froze them before you left and wrapped them up in something like clothes and/or bedding.

#189059 - 02/12/15 09:29 PM Re: Precooked bacon? [Re: 4evrplan]
PaHiker Offline

Sadly, I don't have that option. Going from the airport to Picacho Peak for a hike, overnight there, then straight to the GC. Only nights not outside will be in a B&B, no fridge.

#189065 - 02/13/15 09:33 AM Re: Precooked bacon? [Re: PaHiker]
bluefish Offline

In my experience, bacon jerky has a lower moisture content and stands up to heat far, far better than bacon prepared otherwise. I've added it to meals and rehydrated . Works well. I also trust it to have a longer shelf life; that is if you keep out of it.... grin

#189068 - 02/13/15 11:26 AM Re: Precooked bacon? [Re: bluefish]
PaHiker Offline

If you're going to add it to food, then Bacos should work just as well, and is a lot cheaper than the bacon jerky I've seen. My assumption was heating it up and eating it as-is.

#189070 - 02/13/15 11:54 AM Re: Precooked bacon? [Re: PaHiker]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
I used bacos one time and when I got home I wrote on the recipe "do not use bacos". You could just use shredded tree bark available right on site.
YMMV

#189076 - 02/13/15 03:01 PM Re: Precooked bacon? [Re: GrumpyGord]
bluefish Offline

Considering that I have no qualms eating in a restaurant and paying what would be considered a high price for food, I certainly don't count my pennies too closely for what I put in my bear can or food bag. Food on the trail is special for my wife and I. We backpack often, but don't live on trail. We really enjoy the food we carry and where we're eating it. The Oberto Jerky is relatively expensive, but worth it, to us. Bacos, on the other hand, AIN'T.

#189096 - 02/14/15 12:02 PM Re: Precooked bacon? [Re: Mr. Jowee]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
I have been eating Hormel pre-cooked bacon for years in the backcountry. I do like it better than the Oscar Mayer version.

It is one of the pleasures that I will gladly eat on the trail, but have to hold myself back from eating at home. I do like it better than jerky as it is easier to eat and doesn't require water that I usually want after eating jerky. On a wheat thin (or another cracker) and you have hors d'oeuvres. laugh

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum