Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188931 - 02/05/15 08:04 PM Anyone care to review my gear list?
PurpleHaze Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Hello i am a new user on these forums and have just began my hobby of backpacking. I am in Fairbanks, AK currently. I plan to purchase an osprey aether 60 or an arcteryx altra 65. I want to take a test run with my potential gear list this weekend to see what i like and do not like (keeping in mind it wont be an overnight trip and therefore i will not bring a lot of supplies). I will be hiking in nearby forested area with bike trails and the like. My projected gear list is as follows...

-60-75L pack
-Polyester and wool underclothing with no cotton layers
-Raincoat and warm jacket
-Solamon 4D quest hiking boots
-Gloves, hat and balaclave if needed
(Any suggestions for brands or models for jackets socks or any clothing are very welcome!)
-Benchmade Adamas fixed blade
-Whistle and Single mirror
-Map of the area and 2 compasses
-Waterproof notebook and multiple pencils
-striker and magnesium block
-cotton balls with petroleum jelly
-zippo lighter, waterproof matches,
-(Looking for suggestions on a tent)
- Assorted nuts, meal bars and dried fruits
-2 life straws ( looking for suggestions for water filtration, are life straws by themselves fine? or do i need purifying tablets as well?)
-1 water bottle, 1 bladder
-Headlamp
-Medical kit(tourniquets,combat gauze,tylenol,bandaids,antibiotic ointment)
-Emergency kit (fishing line,hooks,5050 cord,)
-Toliet paper

Thank you for your time! if you see anything missing please let me know or just general advice would be great!

#188933 - 02/05/15 09:51 PM Re: Anyone care to review my gear list? [Re: PurpleHaze]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Not sure what your load weighs, but if it's under 30 pounds, take a look at the Osprey Volt 60, I've used the Aether, about 10 years ago, and it's a great pack - I've also used the Volt 60, found it equally comfortable and functional, and it's a pound lighter.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the Aether, exactly, but if you like it, then the Volt is worth a look. (I didn't look up the prices, but the Volt may save a few dollars, too.)

#188935 - 02/06/15 12:03 PM Re: Anyone care to review my gear list? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
PurpleHaze Offline

Thank you for the reply! I'm trying to start with a pack that is big enough for 5-10 day trips. That way once i work my way up to those big trips i wont have to purchase a new pack. Carrying the larger pack for light and short trips wont bother me too much.

#188936 - 02/06/15 01:41 PM Re: Anyone care to review my gear list? [Re: PurpleHaze]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
There are some excellent articles on gear selection on on the home page of this site, left hand column. Also, look at the "sticky" article by phat at the beginning of this Backcountry Beginners section. He lives in Edmonton, Canada which is a bit closer to your climate than the gear lists on this site's home page.

The most important aspects of a pack are fit, fit and fit. The pack must fit your body, it must fit your gear and it must be comfortable for you with your gear in it (which will ride a lot differently from the weights and sandbags in the store). That's why it's recommended to acquire all your gear first and the pack last. Box up the gear and take it to the store with you to try on packs.

You won't take anything more for a long trip than for a short trip except more food and fuel. The basic gear is the same. By including the equivalent of weight and bulk of a week's food with your gear when you try on the pack, you'll be allowing enough room. I bought/prepared food for a two day menu, weighed each day's food (to get an average per day) and then used crumpled paper and weights to approximate 8 days of food.

There are two problems with a too-big pack: First, it tempts you to fill it up with stuff you don't need. Second, and more important, the load will shift around in your pack, unless it has really good compression straps. That will throw you off balance and will become uncomfortable after several hours.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/06/15 01:47 PM)

#188941 - 02/06/15 02:31 PM Re: Anyone care to review my gear list? [Re: OregonMouse]
PurpleHaze Offline

Awesome reply! Thanks for the information. I read into a water cleaning forum and i didnt really get a clear answer if a lifestraw by itself was enough to keep me healthy. Any thoughts?

Edited by PurpleHaze (02/06/15 05:54 PM)

#188981 - 02/08/15 07:55 PM Re: Anyone care to review my gear list? [Re: PurpleHaze]
ryan54 Offline

Loc: CA
PurpleHaze, You'll be good with just a lifestraw, they remove over 99% of all that nasty bacteria like salmonella, giardia and cryptosporidium. But, it's a good idea to pack a few purifying tablets in your first aid kit just in case something happens to the lifestraw. Tablets are cheap and don't weigh anything, so it's worth bringing them along.

Edited by ryan54 (02/08/15 07:55 PM)

#188987 - 02/09/15 12:05 PM Re: Anyone care to review my gear list? [Re: ryan54]
PurpleHaze Offline

Thank you for your response. I planned to just have a water bottle to fill then drink from with the life straw. The only real problem i've heard is that they tend to clog if you are drinking from heavily sedimented water sources or very dirty water sources. I purchased some Chlorine Dioxide tabs for a back up.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum