Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187501 - 10/26/14 07:27 AM Advantages of Boots over Shoes
Noonie Offline

I haven't came across a technical explanation of why boots are preferable over shoes for hiking. I would think it has to do with keeping the ankle stable as one walks over uneven (rocky/rooty/loose) terrain? In particular when carrying a pack. I have beefy trail running shoes that I've worn on light hikes, but I haven't tried them with a pack and/or for 3+ hours. Is it not advisable? Any reasons other than ankle stability?

Thanks

#187502 - 10/26/14 08:47 AM Re: Advantages of Boots over Shoes [Re: Noonie]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Most of what I have heard is anecdotal but is also fairly consistent with my experience: people have fewer ankle problems in trail runners than they do in boots. There is something about boots that adds leverage to a turned ankle.

I don't think that boots are preferable to shoes for long hikes or with heavy packs.

I started using running shoes on mountaineering approach hikes in the early 70's. A lot of this was with a heavy pack full of climbing gear. I never turned my ankles or had any other issues related to "lack of proper support".

I've hiked the JMT three times; the first time in 1954 wearing Keds Hightops and again in 2008 and 2014 wearing trail runners. No ankle issues.

The only time I consider boots is if cold, wet weather and/or serious off-trail walking is a potential issue otherwise it is running shoes all the way.

#187503 - 10/26/14 12:04 PM Re: Advantages of Boots over Shoes [Re: Pika]
Noonie Offline

Thanks, Pika - that seems reasonable.

I had achilles tendonitis 8 years ago and the only time I've ever felt sensitivity in this area was on a recent hike in new boots. The boots are winter hikers, they're relatively soft and feel extremely comfortable...and they seemed to perform great on a recent 3-4 hour hike...I mean, they felt great the entire time and later in that day I had no soreness or tenderness. The hike was rocky, but not hilly. I'm left wondering if it was the boots or the distance (doubled hiking time from most recent hike)...maybe combination of both.

#187504 - 10/26/14 12:28 PM Re: Advantages of Boots over Shoes [Re: Noonie]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
The general rule is if it's comfortable, wear it.

There are many different types of boots. Most footwear they call boots are high top hiking or running shoes. Then there are the classic hiking boots which are generally uncomfortable.

I have over 3,000 miles in the boots on the right. They are Danner Combat boots.

Let's look at advantages. They are more stable on uneven trails and do prevent ankle turns. More important is the design of the toe box which gives plenty of room for toes to wiggle. Most running/hiking/trail running shoes don't do that.

Shoes designed for running are especially bad as they are also designed to keep the feet from sliding forward. They squeeze the toes to do this and this leads to many long term foot problems. The design of combat boots keeps the feet from sliding forward without squeezing the toes.

These boots are completely waterproof, and it's usually easier to walk through a stream than to find stepping stones. I've never had water come through even after hours of walking in snow. I haven't had the all-day rain experience, but I think they would do fine.

Take a good look at your feet. If there isn't a space between your big toe and the second toe, there is a problem. If you have protrusions on the inside of the wide part of your foot, that's the beginning of bunions. On the outside they are called corns. These are caused by squeezing the toes. If your toes aren't straight, you have been wearing shoes that are too small.

The whole weight thing is a myth. First of all the experiment was done with about six college students with packs weighting 80 pounds and boots weighing up to five pounds apiece.

They completely forgot to look at efficiency. The solid soles of boots gives more rebound than the soft soles of shoes. If I wear running shoes, it feels like I'm walking in sand. This is especially true at the slower pace of hiking on trails.

Combat boots are the only footwear which has been extensively tested and shown not to result in injuries.

Combat boots are cheaper, too. I recently got a pair of Danner boots for $105. But even at $185, they are much cheaper per mile.

#187505 - 10/26/14 02:52 PM Re: Advantages of Boots over Shoes [Re: Noonie]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I have a hunch that previous generations wore boots for very practical reasons having nothing to do with ankle support.

Boots are very durable and can take far more abuse and wear than a pair of trail runners can. Older generations couldn't afford to replace their footwear constantly. I consider it likely they also did more off-trail walking than is usual today, because there were fewer maintained trails and more 'use' trails that were simply worn paths created by, you guessed it, boots.

Lightweight hikers of today are putting aside boots because they are responding to a new set of conditions, both in the woods and in the economy. If those conditions change again, boots might begin to make much more sense than shoes once more.

#187506 - 10/26/14 03:50 PM Re: Advantages of Boots over Shoes [Re: aimless]
Gershon Offline

When I look at pictures in old books dating back hundreds of years, I see most people wear what most other people wear. Few people explore different options themselves. Popularity and availability drive the choices in my opinion.

#187507 - 10/26/14 06:01 PM Re: Advantages of Boots over Shoes [Re: Gershon]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I was forced to look at "different options" when ankle damage due to heavy boots crippled me for a month. Having done mountaineering and backpacking in nothing but heavy boots, I was very dubious. The first year after the injury I put super-feet insoles inside my tennis shoes. It worked, but the tread on the regular tennis shoes was insufficient. Then tennis shoes began to have more aggressive soles - transitioning to trail running shoes. Finally, low cut light-hikers became available, and that is what I use now. I have even used crampons on these shoes. I have periodically tried boots again, but within half a day, I am crippled again. I cannot stand to have anything rubbing on my ankles.

I find that low-cut shoes, with the addition of SuperFeet insoles and gaiters and SmartWool socks, perform almost like boots. I also do mostly off-trail travel. The biggest disadvantage is that low cut shoes will let in water when crossing a stream.

What you wear on your feet is a very individual choice. People's feet vary amazingly in size and shape. Fit is more important than what kind of foot wear it is. I have seen PCT hikers doing the entire route in sandals! Some hikers swear by the "five fingers" - shoes that are like a glove for your feet - individual pockets for each toe.

#187508 - 10/26/14 06:37 PM Re: Advantages of Boots over Shoes [Re: wandering_daisy]
Gershon Offline

Now that the boot issue is resolved, what stove is best?

Added:

Footwear and stoves always seem to generate diverse opinions.

Edited by Gershon (10/26/14 06:46 PM)

#187509 - 10/26/14 07:03 PM Re: Advantages of Boots over Shoes [Re: Gershon]
Noonie Offline

Originally Posted By Gershon
Now that the boot issue is resolved, what stove is best?

Added:

Footwear and stoves always seem to generate diverse opinions.

grin

I don't have enough experience to have an opinion...but as a noob one thing that helps is finding out if like >90% of people say "x" is best, versus a close to split decision. When, as a noob, you learn that 90% of people do something a certain way, then these forums pay dividends (because you never know which way the crowds will vote...when you're a noob). That's my long-winded way of saying thanks for clarifying that this debate isn't one-sided. That really helps!

The other issue with being a noob is when you're doing something new, you have an issue, and it can be one of many things. I'm there now with this achilles soreness. It could be the boots (and the fact that I had a previous issue), "too much too soon" hike the day before the pain began, or something else completely different. As a next step, I'll do two tests and scatter these several days apart: 1) go for a shorter hike in the same boots. If I'm fine the day or two after, then maybe the boots are fine; 2) go for another long hike, but this time in hiking 'shoes'...you get the idea.

Not sure if I'm different from others here, but I'm looking forward to winter (snow up here in Canada) and this is precisely why I'm taking up hiking now...to have another activity when it's less cycling.

#187510 - 10/26/14 09:22 PM Re: Advantages of Boots over Shoes [Re: Noonie]
Gershon Offline

It may help you to understand the Achilles tendon pain if you look in Google images for the Achilles tendon. You will also find many other pictures of the muscles and tendons in the foot. In my opinion, a person should be careful with any pain in these areas and reduce the mileage or take rest days until the pain goes away.

I used to try to adjust my walking to prevent pain, but that never worked. When I gave the task to my subconscious and ignored walking technique, I stopped having as many little pains.

Many inexperienced hikers tend to overstride, especially uphill. This can lead to various injuries. By overstriding, I mean the heel placement is forward of the body's center of gravity when the foot touches.

There are many experienced backpackers here who hike long miles. They didn't get that way in a year or two. I suggest keeping the miles down the first year while taking your time to enjoy the scenery or stopping for a cup of coffee.

If you are significantly overweight, you may have to work on that before you can start doing longer miles.

#187515 - 10/27/14 12:06 PM Re: Advantages of Boots over Shoes [Re: Noonie]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
There are some advantages to boots. They are warmer, and they offer more thorn/snake protection. Some boots are easier to strap on spikes (the tree climbing ones) and others are easier to put on crampons. I have never tried crampons, so I don't know if they could be used with a low cut "boot".

So, if you need crampons, you might have to get boots. If you are walking around looking to catch rattlers, you might want to get boots (and knee high snake gaiters).
I use boots in winter time only, or work boots when doing outside type work.

A few years ago, after buying some wafflestompers, I decided to try out trailrunners. IMHO, my ankles are better off, even with a heavy pack. The wafflestompers have been relegated to early snow with gaiters, or really wet weather.

If you want ankle support, buy an ankle brace.

#187518 - 10/27/14 12:46 PM Re: Advantages of Boots over Shoes [Re: Noonie]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
The main reasons I wear lightweight mid top hikers is they protect my ankles a bit from scrapes on rocks and branches, keep them from getting pierced with thorns, and they keep out debris better.

Of those 3 reasons keeping out debris is by far what they do most. I can't take two steps in low cut hikers without picking up rocks and twigs and other debris, even when I'm on a dirt smooth trail.

But really, I just prefer them. I've never liked having my ankles exposed while hiking or working. It really is a personal preference thing. We can tell you why we use what we use, but in the end you have to figure it out for yourself.

One thing I think most of us would agree on is that the insoles in most shoes today are pretty crappy. Wondering_Daisy pointed out she uses "SuperFeet" insoles, and I've heard a lot of others recommend those too. The main point though is you might want to buy good insoles first and bring them when you go look for shoes.

"You want to go where?"

#187525 - 10/27/14 08:38 PM Re: Advantages of Boots over Shoes [Re: Noonie]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Haven't hiked in boots in years. I still wear them for trail work, or winter creek hiking where my feet need to stay dry while hiking/fishing creeks. Snow demands boots most of the time. Still, trail runners have been my hike wear for on-trail hikes. Lower that pack weight (lighten your load) and lose a couple pounds of boot weight and your feet will thank you for it. You'll go further, and be less tired.

#187589 - 11/04/14 04:32 PM Re: Advantages of Boots over Shoes [Re: Noonie]
Hillbilly Offline

Loc: Eastern Ozarks, S. Mo.
Ah, something this noob knows a little about. I don't wear boots much for ankle support, I don't believe I've ever had a sprained ankle. As a kid we got Brogands because we wouldn't tear 'em apart before we outgrew them.In the Army and in jobs since then they were required. They help prevent snake bites and debris from water to rocks from gettin' in. My legs are strong, weight is not an issue. My feet hurt because I'm fat, the possibility of feeling rocks through a soft sole is very much an issue. That being said, I just bought a pair of Moab mid hikers and I'll shed the Steel toed Red wings and give them a try.

#187815 - 11/26/14 09:12 AM Re: Advantages of Boots over Shoes [Re: Gershon]
Noonie Offline

I had a pair of trail runners I was hiking in up until it got cold, wet and we had snow. Those shoes have lots of mesh so I knew they were only good for so long. I found the same shoe in a Goretex version. Have tried those on two winter hikes and so far so good. I'm only taking short day hikes so I think these pairs of trail runners are fine for a while.

#188047 - 12/15/14 02:10 PM Re: Advantages of Boots over Shoes [Re: Noonie]
shua Offline

Loc: North Dakota
I personally hiked 1 time in well broken in boots and got blisters all over, new balance trail runners is the only way I go anymore

#188559 - 01/14/15 08:21 AM Re: Advantages of Boots over Shoes [Re: Noonie]
JohnnyCapra Offline

When hiking in winter, it’s best to use waterproof shoes. Always used good quality socks, that will keep your feet comfortable in rough terrain. When hiking in winter, it’s best to use waterproof shoes. At time of snow hiking I have always worn gaiters. It covers the tops of footwear to fully protect feet from the elements.

#188868 - 02/02/15 07:07 AM Re: Advantages of Boots over Shoes [Re: finallyME]
Mama Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I wear waterproof trail runners even in the winter, until the snow gets too deep. When the snow gets too deep I can add snow shoes or overshoes, depending on the situation. I will never go back to my 3 pound clod hoppers. I wore them for years because that's what hikers did in the day. No more!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum