Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188445 - 01/09/15 11:43 AM Devil's Path - Eastern Section
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
A small group of us are considering our spring 2015 hike to be on the Eastern Section of Devil's Path in the Catskills. This would be a 2 day, 1 night trip. Our intention would be to start at the PL on Prediger Road, loop eastward past Devil's Kitchen Lean-To, over Indian Head, Twin and Sugarloaf Mountains and finish Day 1 at the Mink Hollow Lean-To (approx. 9.5 miles). Day 2 would take us over Plateau Mountain and then down to Devil's Tombstone Campground PL (approx. 4.5 miles).

Questions:
We are all beginner/intermediate hikers ranging in fitness levels from poor to decent. Is this trip doable in the timeframe we intend? We would be at the TH Day 1 around 10am (driving from 3+ hours away plus drop a car at the end).

I've read conflicting reports on the condition and availability of camping at the Mink Hollow Lean-To. Anyone have recent intel?

I've read on a few different websites that there may be 1 or more natural springs along the way. However, I'm concerned how dated that information may be. Does anyone know of any reliable water sources (preferably close to the Mink Hollow Lean-To)?

Thanks!

#188447 - 01/09/15 01:43 PM Re: Devil's Path - Eastern Section [Re: dylansdad77]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I don't know that area, but 9.5 miles in the mountains (with lots of elevation changes) seems like it would be pretty problematic for someone in poor physical condition. Your 10 AM start time seems a bit challenging given how much driving you will have to do that morning.

Late start, challenging hike, poor physical conditioning sounds like a recipe for disaster. You talk about a small group of people, unless you have actually done some backpacking together their will probably be some people who have exaggerated their level of conditioning and experience.

#188454 - 01/10/15 09:42 AM Re: Devil's Path - Eastern Section [Re: BZH]
dylansdad77 Offline

We have all backpacked together and have completed similar hikes, although I would say this itinerary is slightly more challenging than previously completed trips. Of everyone in the group, I am in the poorest physical shape. We completed a trip 2 years ago that had more mileage but less elevation gain/loss but my pack weight at the time was also considerably higher. I've made some purchases and concessions to drop my pack weight more than 10 pounds.

We've done day hikes in the 12-15 mile range with similar elevation challenges but much lighter packs and felt good but dog-tired at the end. Taking all of that into consideration, I am guardedly optimistic that we can complete this trip without issue. I guess my thinking is that I want to continue to challenge ourselves a little bit each trip until age forces us to slow down.

Las resort, there is a col at the 6.5 mile mark of the hike that we could set up camp IF the mileage and elevation prove to be too much...

#188456 - 01/10/15 12:25 PM Re: Devil's Path - Eastern Section [Re: dylansdad77]
tramp Offline

Loc: WV
Quote:
After a while, the climb steepens, and you’ll have to negotiate a 10-foot vertical climb on tree roots.

Grabbed from here. After reading that I'd say it's a bit ambitious for someone in poor shape. More time would be a good idea if you're determined.

#188457 - 01/10/15 12:55 PM Re: Devil's Path - Eastern Section [Re: tramp]
bluefish Offline

You have some time to improve your conditioning. May be well worth the effort. I try to stay in shape for hiking as much as I can as I get older. Lots of benefits.

Edited by bluefish (01/10/15 12:59 PM)

#188482 - 01/12/15 09:44 AM Re: Devil's Path - Eastern Section [Re: tramp]
dylansdad77 Offline

To be honest, I didn't know about the 10' vertical. Sounds like fun though!

#188509 - 01/12/15 05:29 PM Re: Devil's Path - Eastern Section [Re: dylansdad77]
tramp Offline

Loc: WV

I believe this is the vertical climb. Wouldn't wanna do it w/o ditching the pack.

#188685 - 01/21/15 09:01 AM Re: Devil's Path - Eastern Section [Re: tramp]
dylansdad77 Offline

So I ran this pic past the other members of my party and I'm giving them some time to decide if they want to tackle this trip or not. So a little more information about my group, I am in the least optimal physical shape out of the bunch but the most adventurous so naturally my inclination is to say "go for it". If the more level-headed members decide they want to try it, I've officially run out of excuses.

That being said, I have been studying the maps of this trail and noticed the col between Twin Mtn and Sugarloaf Mtn called Pecoy Notch. According to the topo, this area of the trail is below 3500' of elevation so fair game for camping. This would be our fall back plan should the day 1 mileage and elevation be too much - it would just mean an equally hard day 2. So my question is this - the map does not show any reliable water source in this area. Has anyone hiked this trail and noticed a water source near Pecoy Notch that would serve as a resupply should we choose to camp there? Thanks for any intel you can provide!

#188690 - 01/21/15 09:54 PM Re: Devil's Path - Eastern Section [Re: dylansdad77]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
A friend has hiked this and reported no water. One of the reasons for the paths name is that it is hell, not a beginner trail.

#188809 - 01/29/15 01:27 PM Re: Devil's Path - Eastern Section [Re: DTape]
snapper Offline

Loc: NY
I've been on the Devil's Path many times and I have to be honest, if you're planning on carrying an overnight pack on this stretch you need to be in pretty good shape. A slow and steady approach will work but you're still going to give your legs and lungs a workout. Also, be advised that if it's been raining portions of the trail may be pretty slick. That crack will take some teamwork to get you all safely up. I've seen people with day packs that have difficulty at that point. I'm not trying to steer you away because this is a wonderful trip but you do need to consider what you're getting into.

As for water, there is a water source available just after the Devil's Path turns off with the trail leading to Overlook Mt. Just past this junction there is a lean-to and a reliable stream. You can also drop down, as you already mentioned, from the notch between Twin & Sugarloaf to a pond where you'll be able to find water. Be aware that this is a beaver pond so plan accordingly for your water treatment. After that you'll need to wait until the spring that's on the way up to Plateau for your next option. In dry summers the lack of water adds another challenge to this trip.

One last thing, if I remember correctly "Backpacker" magazine listed the Devil's Path in it's "Top 10 Most Difficult Trails" article not too long ago. Whether you like the magazine or not, the trail really lives up to that billing. Add all the elevation gain/loss, lack of water and rocky terrain and you are definitely presenting yourself with a challenge.

Just my two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

Until next time...Be well.

snapper

Edited by snapper (01/29/15 01:31 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 306 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum