Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187467 - 10/22/14 04:30 PM NOOB - One versus Two Packs
Noonie Offline

In the next six months I see myself doing only day hikes, maybe up to five hours. Of course some of these will be in the winter. I don't know where I'll go with hiking, whether I'll catch the bug and get into it big time, so I'm not sure if I should get one small daypack for now, and then later add a larger pack if needed.

I went to a reputable shop yesterday and was mentioning my needs, and the recommendation was for an Osprey Stratos (36L). With the the thinking that I could use it for both shorter hikes, and have the capacity for carrying more gear if in the future I add some lightweight sleeping gear, or stay in a B&B and need extra clothes, toiletries, etc.

Thoughts one 1 vs 2 and what your experience was?

FYI - I live in Ontario, Canada and hikes are well below the tree line, and not too technical.

#187469 - 10/22/14 07:18 PM Re: NOOB - One versus Two Packs [Re: Noonie]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Welcome, Noonie.

Have to admit I have more packs than needed, or even healthy, so am not an unbiased opinion here. But two packs makes a lot of sense if you take trips of differing duration and in different seasons.

I use a fairly small and light pack for trips up to three nights and a stouter, larger pack for longer trips and when I need to carry a food canister, or a lot of gear for some reason. (For just day-hikes I take a rucksack.)

This approach implies spending more than a single do-all pack, but careful shopping can reduce the financial hit. And do-all packs tend to be heavy, complex and overkill for weekend trips. I've had modular packs with detachable pockets, places to lash excess gear, and the like, and they can be a pretty good middleground, but always seem compromised in some way.

Cheers,

#187471 - 10/22/14 09:15 PM Re: NOOB - One versus Two Packs [Re: Noonie]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
My do-all pack is a Golite Pinnacle (now the Jam 70L). Done everything from daypack (admittedly too much for that but it's light so big deal) to 7 days. It has a good compression system. Also easy to strap on snowshoes if you need them.

For you I would go with the 35L version. They are often out of them (such as now) as they just order batches it seems.

#187474 - 10/23/14 06:18 AM Re: NOOB - One versus Two Packs [Re: topshot]
Noonie Offline

In the next year, maybe two, I don't see myself needing a large pack (i.e., 70L) because I'm not planning on multi-day hikes where I'll be camping and cooking. So I would hold off buying such a pack until I plan a more serious, multi-day hike and then I would buy what is necessary. For now, I'm planning on hikes from 1 hour (out my back door) to 3, 5, maybe 7 hour day hikes. I'm looking for a pack that is large enough to handle those 5-7 hour day hikes, including in the winter when I may have more clothes in the pack.

The other consideration is some neck/shoulder issues I've been having from cycling (part of the reason I'm going to spend time hiking, but I'll still be cycling). I want a pack with a good sternum strap that takes the weight off my shoulders (not much weight to begin with on these day hikes...). Some of those 10-15L packs I've seen have a small belt that I'm "assuming" would not be comfortable or effective at distributing 75% of the weight of the pack to my hips. I've been doing a bit of searching but haven't seen a 10-15L pack that has the ventilation, padded sternum strap, etc., of something like the Osprey Stratos. I don't see myself needing to use all of the 36L carrying capacity of the Stratos, but then if I did a 1-2 night trip with minimal gear and it all fit, then it could be the one pack for me (for now).

Thanks.

#187476 - 10/23/14 02:38 PM Re: NOOB - One versus Two Packs [Re: Noonie]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Just get one. Then go hiking. You will want to buy another one in the future.

#187477 - 10/23/14 03:13 PM Re: NOOB - One versus Two Packs [Re: finallyME]
bluefish Offline

Better to have a little extra on winter hikes. You might even learn to like cooking a hot meal on a snowy trail. I HATE having too small a pack, and winter hiking points that out. I've also chose to pop out on roads occasionally,or ran into wind cleared lakes. Having a pack you can lash snowshoes to is a huge plus. My wife has an Osprey she loves. Nicely made packs.

#187500 - 10/26/14 07:19 AM Re: NOOB - One versus Two Packs [Re: bluefish]
Noonie Offline

Ended up getting an Osprey Stratus 24. I took it out the other day for a 4-hour hike and, most importantly, it was very comfortable. Also, I packed the essentials I would need on every hike, and there was plenty of room for any items I would ever want for a day hike, I think regardless of how long that is.

Thanks

#188670 - 01/19/15 09:04 PM Re: NOOB - One versus Two Packs [Re: Noonie]
bob13bob Offline

Loc: California, United States
a 5 hour hike? a large fanny pack would work. I use any backpack you have around the house, a waste strap is nice but not necessary. I would not get a specialty backpack for it.
you don't need a stove, water treatment, tent, sleeping bag, rain protection, changes of socks, pack towel, etc etc, flashlight.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum