Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188421 - 01/08/15 02:34 AM Social Network for Backpackers
mikegbsg Offline

Hi guys,

What's your go-to social network to connect with fellow backpackers? I understand there's facebook groups and forums which people use to meet new people. Are there anymore?

#188422 - 01/08/15 07:13 AM Re: Social Network for Backpackers [Re: mikegbsg]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I'm not aware of any (and am interested if there are). In recent years I'm finding that the "current year" per-trail facebook page or group is the go-to place to connect with other hikers while actually on the trail, to pass on important info --- water sources, trail closures/re-routes, trail angel stuff, whatever. It can also be helpful post-hike to stay in touch with folks you met, or even connect with mutual acquaintances who hiked the same year.

#188425 - 01/08/15 10:46 AM Re: Social Network for Backpackers [Re: BrianLe]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Being very much anti-facebook--I value my privacy!--if all communication goes to that, I'm gone!

At least with this forum, we don't have to reveal who we are yet get along fine nearly all the time (and have good moderation for those who step over the line).

Edited by OregonMouse (01/08/15 10:47 AM)

#188428 - 01/08/15 11:45 AM Re: Social Network for Backpackers [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I'm with OM. This forum works really well for a lot of things...

Current trail conditions? Ask, and often ye shall receive.

I spend 30 minutes a month on Facebook---enough to find out that I've missed a few things that are important, and s thousand things that are not important.

Specific through hikes (PCT, AT, etc) have on-line communities that are more focused on current conditions. For hikes in various parks or mountain ranges, there are communities that focus on the Sierra, for example.

But this place is as good as any---and we have experts from a lot of the major hiking areas in the US.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#188429 - 01/08/15 12:12 PM Re: Social Network for Backpackers [Re: mikegbsg]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Welcome to the forums!!!

I'd have to say this is as good as anyplace too, and go a step further and say it's the best place I've found.

I use FB a lot, but almost exclusively to keep in touch with family and close friends. For all things backpacking I come here.

I just started a project to create a "Social Networking" site. Feature wise, it's about the same as this forum, which programmatically isn't much different than FB.

You can post "Instant Messages" here with the "Shout Box" that are available in real time to all users, and you can send "Private Messages" to one, or many users here to create a private conversation, and link photos and videos, etc.

"You want to go where?"

#188432 - 01/08/15 01:14 PM Re: Social Network for Backpackers [Re: mikegbsg]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
On the trail Delorme InReach kinda sorta allows you to do this, but the ability comes with a subscription cost. Also links to FB and the Twitters as desired. Impractical for other times than hiking but the ability to piggyback can mean always being in touch should that be what one wants.

The very last-century Yahoo groups have many specialized lists, such as the John Muir Trail group.

Cheers,

#188435 - 01/08/15 05:55 PM Re: Social Network for Backpackers [Re: mikegbsg]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
This website, and my local backpacking shop (which runs classes, beginner trips, and guided trips for more experienced hikers.)

That being said, most of my trips are taken with a couple of good friends. We all met on one of those beginner trips (though none of us were beginners), hit it off, and have been hiking together ever since.

#188436 - 01/08/15 06:07 PM Re: Social Network for Backpackers [Re: Rick_D]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Meet Up is one source for finding others with similar interests, not just hiking, btw. Other sites such as Views from the Top are geographically oriented. VFTT is a NE site with regional trail conditions as well as a general backpacking forum but it's not really a social networking site that links people up like Facebook or LinkedIn.

Keep in mind that the skill levels of people you meet online may not be as advertised. Back in 2007, a Meet Up group of beginner winter campers had to be rescued by a big SAR effort during a major blizzard in the PNW because of poor planning by the group leader.

Edited by TomD (01/08/15 06:36 PM)

#188437 - 01/08/15 06:44 PM Re: Social Network for Backpackers [Re: TomD]

Out here in the Pacific NW we have two active hiking forums: portlandhikers.org (in Portland, obviously) and nwhikers.net in Seattle. The former has a Field Guide which is most useful in finding hikes. The Washington Trails Association (wta.org) has a similar database for Washington trails. There are a plethora of hiking and climbing clubs. Finally, many many excellent trail guidebooks have been published. For Washington, the best known are published by the Seattle Mountaineers. The best-known ones in Oregon are by William Sullivan. Of course there are many others!

Edited by OregonMouse (01/08/15 06:56 PM)

#188440 - 01/08/15 11:58 PM Re: Social Network for Backpackers [Re: mikegbsg]
Roastduck Offline

There's a r/backpacking sub-reddit that's pretty active, and they have links to tons of related sub-reddits

#188478 - 01/12/15 03:25 AM Re: Social Network for Backpackers [Re: mikegbsg]
carbeque Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
There's a group called "Backpacking" on Facebook that has a few thousand people in it... I just joined within the last couple days. Looks like it might be a good way to "passively" pick up information as it flows onto my news feed. Sometimes I don't know what I want to learn about until I see it mentioned somewhere. ;-)

#188673 - 01/20/15 02:54 AM Re: Social Network for Backpackers [Re: mikegbsg]
DanielPeng Offline

Loc: Irvine, CA
Maybe TripAdvisor or something like that.

#188678 - 01/20/15 01:52 PM Re: Social Network for Backpackers [Re: DanielPeng]

Just note that for much of the rest of the world (outside North America), "backpacking" has become a synonym for "budget travel." We get a lot of travel inquiries here, for most of which we have to say sorry, folks, wrong site. You'd think that they'd take a quick look at the topics and posts here before posting!

#188680 - 01/20/15 03:53 PM Re: Social Network for Backpackers [Re: OregonMouse]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Or the articles!

#189455 - 02/27/15 11:56 PM Re: Social Network for Backpackers [Re: 4evrplan]
jameshan Offline

Maybe TripAdvisor like that.

#189992 - 04/04/15 01:20 PM Re: Social Network for Backpackers [Re: mikegbsg]
SurvivalDad Offline

This seems like a good place to socialize.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum