Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187278 - 10/06/14 10:24 AM It's Official - First Overnight On the Calendar!
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Well, it's official, I've finally set a date for my first overnight backpacking trip of Nov. 22-24 in Caney Creek Wilderness, AR (I'll be wearing blaze orange - it's hunting season)! I don't know if I'll be ready even then, a lot of my equipment is heavy or in some other way not ideal, but I'll make it work somehow. I'm eager to just get out there! I've been researching this and gathering/building supplies for, I think, a couple years now. Everyone here has been very patient with me and my frequent posts, in spite of my lack of experience. You don't even know what the support and sense of community has meant.

#187280 - 10/06/14 12:14 PM Re: It's Official - First Overnight On the Calendar! [Re: 4evrplan]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Good for you!!!

The weather up here has been just perfect the past week, and the ticks and chiggers have already died down to just a slight menace. Caney Creek should be amazing for you.

We'll be wanting a trip report and photos smile

"You want to go where?"

#187281 - 10/06/14 12:38 PM Re: It's Official - First Overnight On the Calendar! [Re: billstephenson]
4evrplan Offline

I'm not sure how many photos I'll get, as my phone battery won't last long if I leave it on. My dedicated camera might be a bit more than I want to carry, though I'm sure a photographer would laugh at me. I am considering it. You can expect a written TR for sure.

As of this moment, my nine year old is planning to go with me, but if he changes his mind, I may hammock camp instead of bringing the tent. That would definitely save some precious pack space and probably a bit of weight too. There's one model in particular that's a surprisingly good value, so I bought one and put together suspension for it. I've got to test it out overnight. We'll see.

I'm really looking forward to this trip, and not just because it'll be my first backpacking trip. The times I've spent in Ouachita NF have never disappointed. It's a beautiful area for sure, and the trees ought to have turned by then, if there's any leaves left. There's lots of interesting rock formations and ridges to walk up and down, creeks, even some waterfalls. I can hardly wait.

Edited by 4evrplan (10/06/14 12:39 PM)

#187301 - 10/08/14 03:10 PM I'm Rethinking It [Re: 4evrplan]
4evrplan Offline

Well, turns out my wife doesn't want me to take my nine YO, because she's worried about the hunters. I may end up doing this hike without him (just me and a friend), but does anyone know of an equally awesome hiking location within reach that doesn't allow hunting? I'm thinking of moving this party to the Texas hill country, though that's a bit further to drive.

#187303 - 10/08/14 03:21 PM Re: I'm Rethinking It [Re: 4evrplan]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
If you don't mind driving further, Big Bend Park is no hunting and a lot of great hikes.

#187307 - 10/08/14 03:48 PM Re: I'm Rethinking It [Re: Pika]
4evrplan Offline

I would love to visit Big Bend, but I feel that's a bit far for a weekend trip. Someday.

I was thinking about Lost Maples SP, but even that's a bit further than I hoped (373mi - 6h 51m), and I'd have to call and confirm there's no hunting there that weekend.

ETA: Confirmed - they aren't hosting any hunts this year.

Edited by 4evrplan (10/09/14 12:38 PM)

#187314 - 10/08/14 04:43 PM Re: It's Official - First Overnight On the Calendar! [Re: 4evrplan]
Mama Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Have a great time! I did some solo backpacking in Arkansas when I lived there back in the 1990s. I bought a book called Arkansas Hiking Trails: A Guide to 78 Selected Trails in "The Natural State" by Tim Ernst and day-hiked &/or backpacked about half the trails in the book before life moved me to a different area of the country. A great guidebook for everything from short nature walks to long backpacking trails. Please post pics of the hike after!

#187321 - 10/09/14 09:30 AM Re: I'm Rethinking It [Re: 4evrplan]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
One option for a quick overnighter that might be closer is Enchanted Rock SP. It is too small for a long trip, but it will get you going for an overnighter and help test your gear.

#187323 - 10/09/14 01:22 PM Re: I'm Rethinking It [Re: finallyME]
4evrplan Offline

Originally Posted By finallyME
It is too small for a long trip...

Just for the fun of it, I asked a mathematician friend of mine how to efficiently hike every segment of every trail over two days. We'll see if we can turn it into a longer hike and a two night stay. laugh

#187351 - 10/10/14 02:46 PM Re: I'm Rethinking It [Re: 4evrplan]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By 4evrplan
Well, turns out my wife doesn't want me to take my nine YO, because she's worried about the hunters.

Yeah, that's a tough one, but I wouldn't push my point with a mom about that.

I'd check to see if there are any roads in that Wilderness area. I don't recall seeing any along the creek on the map I looked at. Check to see if ATVs are allowed. Since it's a wilderness area I doubt they are. If that's the case, It's pretty unlikely that you'll see anyone hunting once you get a mile or so from the trail head.

If you start your hike a couple hours after sunrise, set up camp a couple hours before sunset, and get off the trail a couple hours before sunset, you'll likely be fine.

I'm basing that on my general experience with places I've been in Arkansas. I've been by there, but never hiked it during hunting season so I could be wrong.

It also depends on when opening day for firearms is. Those first few days you'll see a lot of hunters out there. Generally, like I said, not far from the nearest road or trailhead, but the NF roads will have cars parked all along them and their owners will usually be just a short walk away in the forests.

In the middle of the week, or after the 2nd weekend past opening day, you won't see many hunters out there. Generally none once you get a mile from the trail heads.

And... It's pretty much always hunting season for something around here. I always tie blaze orange flagging tape to my pack, and wear a hunter's orange vest when I'm out there. During hunting season I tie a orange plastic hunter orange vest to the outside of my pack.

"You want to go where?"

#187353 - 10/10/14 03:27 PM Re: I'm Rethinking It [Re: billstephenson]
4evrplan Offline

Originally Posted By billstephenson
Yeah, that's a tough one, but I wouldn't push my point with a mom about that.

I'd check to see if there are any roads in that Wilderness area. I don't recall seeing any along the creek on the map I looked at. Check to see if ATVs are allowed. Since it's a wilderness area I doubt they are. If that's the case, It's pretty unlikely that you'll see anyone hunting once you get a mile or so from the trail head.

If you start your hike a couple hours after sunrise, set up camp a couple hours before sunset, and get off the trail a couple hours before sunset, you'll likely be fine.

I'm basing that on my general experience with places I've been in Arkansas. I've been by there, but never hiked it during hunting season so I could be wrong.

It also depends on when opening day for firearms is. Those first few days you'll see a lot of hunters out there. Generally, like I said, not far from the nearest road or trailhead, but the NF roads will have cars parked all along them and their owners will usually be just a short walk away in the forests.

In the middle of the week, or after the 2nd weekend past opening day, you won't see many hunters out there. Generally none once you get a mile from the trail heads.

And... It's pretty much always hunting season for something around here. I always tie blaze orange flagging tape to my pack, and wear a hunter's orange vest when I'm out there. During hunting season I tie a orange plastic hunter orange vest to the outside of my pack.

There's not any roads in the area, and I'm pretty sure ATVs aren't allowed (but I couldn't swear to it). Also, gun season starts Nov. 8th.

But, it's all a moot point anyway. I've already agreed to go somewhere else, it's just going to cost me a lot more money cry. At first, I thought my wife was being overly worried, but then I talked to a friend who actually hunts, and has his entire life, and from his response, I'm thinking maybe my wife made the right call.

#187360 - 10/10/14 10:58 PM Re: I'm Rethinking It [Re: 4evrplan]
billstephenson Offline

Yeah, I won't argue with you. I don't go out on opening weekend. Not even in my own backyard, and I don't know that area well enough to say for sure what you can expect. Definitely a case of better safe than sorry...

"You want to go where?"

#187376 - 10/14/14 08:46 AM Re: I'm Rethinking It [Re: 4evrplan]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
All Texas State parks have nice little back country camping trails that make for good practice hikes, and some serious ones. Cedar Hill SP near me has 14 miles of bike and equestrian trails where you can also camp. Hunting season in Arkansas is "zoned" and they probably have more hunting zones than any other state. Blaze orange is smart, and the state parks make good sense for your 9 year old as there are good bail out points to roads in case you have to get back quick. Hunters are few. Hunting is allowed in some of our parks.
Big Bend is an amazing place, been there many many times. It's not "friendly" in the sense that water is always a concern and it can be very rugged, hot/cold. I did take my girls hiking there and they loved it.

#188071 - 12/16/14 12:15 PM Re: It's Official - First Overnight On the Calendar! [Re: 4evrplan]
Mama Offline

Did you post a trip report? Maybe I missed it.

#188097 - 12/17/14 11:36 AM Re: It's Official - First Overnight On the Calendar! [Re: Mama]
4evrplan Offline

Due to budget concerns (story of my life), my hiking buddy and I agreed to move the trip to mid January. The hunters will be gone, so we can go somewhere closer and free.

#188158 - 12/19/14 10:38 AM Re: It's Official - First Overnight On the Calendar! [Re: 4evrplan]
Mama Offline

Have a fun trip!

#188585 - 01/15/15 12:24 PM Had to Cancel Again! [Re: 4evrplan]
4evrplan Offline

You guys aren't going to believe this, but I had to cancel again. My hiking buddy for this weekend had to cancel on me last minute (a friend of his passed away). I'm not really comfortable doing my first overnight trip solo in winter, so I'm calling it off for now.

This is why my user name is 4evrplan: forever planning.

Maybe I'll take the ten year old car camping this weekend.

#188599 - 01/15/15 06:52 PM Rescheduled for Next Weekend [Re: 4evrplan]
4evrplan Offline

We rescheduled for next weekend, only we're going local to fit into our tight schedule. It'll be 2 nights/1.5 days out.

Edited by 4evrplan (01/16/15 10:26 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 277 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum