Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186870 - 08/29/14 05:57 PM Newbie, Marmot or MSR?
Eddie Lives Offline

Hi there,

I'm looking to roadtrip substantially with motorcycle and have narrowed down my choices to the Marmot Limelight 3 and the MSR Elixir 3. They both happen to be on sale at 40%.

This is my first tent, and I'd like to get as much longevity as possible so build quality is my main concern here. Will be sleeping two at most. The limelight seems better built, with bigger vestibules and it's also higher. However, the MSR has bigger pockets, as well as vents in the rainfly.

I talked to two people and one said that Marmot products were of poor quality since production shifted to China, and the other said he used Marmot products himself and was not disappointed...

Thanks,

#188088 - 12/17/14 01:32 AM Re: Newbie, Marmot or MSR? [Re: Eddie Lives]
Matt Keenan Offline

Loc: California
No experience with either of these tents or brands actually. But good call getting a 3 person tent for 2 tents are infamous for being way undersized. Since your moto packing I would imagine a little extra weight wouldn't be an issue. The best way to decide on a product it to go test it out get a feel for the material. Most everything is made in China these days and I would guess that all the big outdoor companies use 3 or 4 manufacture between them if that. A good place to find reviews on camping gear is trailspace.com
Happy trails
Matt

#188150 - 12/19/14 12:17 AM Re: Newbie, Marmot or MSR? [Re: Eddie Lives]
wandering_daisy Offline

I used to have an MSR solo tent. I really cannot remember the exact name of it. It did not have a lot of good "features" but it was bombproof with respect to storms and was well made. (that was about 10 years ago).

Marmot tents do not get high ratings on reviews for weather-worthiness. I do not necessarily believe all reviews, but this is something to watch for.

I would not get too impressed with "features". A feature is not much good if you really do not need it given your specific situation and where you do your backpacking. I am a firm believer in talking to people who backpack where you will be backpacking. For example, some tents that are perfectly fine for the Sierra may not work that well in the Pacific Northwest or back east where you have to deal with a lot more humidity and rain.

I think you need to look at more brands and models before you decide. And read some more reviews. Pay attention to reviews of people who have used the tent for many outings. Nothing gripes me like a review that someone took it out of the box and set it up in their back yard but have yet to take it on a trip - yet to have it out in a rain storm!

#188151 - 12/19/14 12:25 AM Re: Newbie, Marmot or MSR? [Re: Eddie Lives]
wandering_daisy Offline

Oh, forgot to mention. Having done some camping with my husband while traveling on a motorcycle, yes, you may not have to worry too much about weight, but bulk does matter. Another thing that may matter if you camp in public places, is privacy. People on the outside can almost see into some tents. Be aware that if you have light inside the tent, most backpack tents are virtually see-through.

You may want to also take a small tarp to set up for cooking out of the rain. It is not particularly safe to run a stove inside or near a tent. Tent material is very flammable.

#188205 - 12/23/14 05:18 AM Re: Newbie, Marmot or MSR? [Re: Eddie Lives]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Eddie,

I have over 100,000 miles on motorcycles with much of it touring. If you want to be comfortable, get a Gerbing heated jacket and gloves. They will take you comfortably down to at least 15 degrees.

They are expensive, but worth it.

A full face helmet will keep your head warm.

#188213 - 12/23/14 12:02 PM Re: Newbie, Marmot or MSR? [Re: Eddie Lives]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I'd take a look online at the tents made by Tarptent. They have a number of solo and 2-person models that are neither heavy nor bulky. While several of them use trekking poles for support, Tarptent sells tent poles for those who don't use trekking poles, which you probably don't on a motorcycle! laugh For you, I would recommend one of their double wall models rather than the single wall models on sale. They will work fine for backpacking, too.

My only experience with Marmot has been a rain jacket that wet out after only a year. Of course, a rain jacket is not a tent! MSR definitely stands behind their products.

Edited by OregonMouse (12/23/14 12:05 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 244 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum