Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187976 - 12/11/14 11:09 AM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: 4evrplan]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Too many other things going on right now, so no. Also, I just tried to use my hand-held vacuum pump on some jars of (fresh) chopped onions. Either the charger is the wrong match or the battery is going bad. Rats!

#190299 - 04/21/15 02:38 PM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: 4evrplan]
outdoorgrrl Offline

Originally Posted By 4evrplan
I know you can dehydrate/rehydrate pretty much anything, but what do you no-cook folks do for veggies?

I like to mix shredded cabbage with salsa and dehydrate it. Once it's dry, I mix it with a bit of hummus powder. On the trail, I add cold water to the mix a few hours before I want to eat it. It makes a spicy veggie/hummus spread that's perfect on a tortilla. Yum!

I've also been known to simply dehydrate chopped vegetables and add them to commercial freeze-dried meals.

Carry

--------------
Are you tired of eating mediocre, freeze-dried backpacking meals? Learn to create inexpensive, tasty meals for backpacking and climbing with the DIY Guide to Instant Backpacking Meals.

#190301 - 04/21/15 03:16 PM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: outdoorgrrl]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My dehydrated dinners are one-dish meals and include veggies. I also dehydrate chopped frozen spinach by itself (lots of nutrition for less weight and bulk) and add it to any dinners that appear short of veggies. Even if you're rehydrating with cold water, the dried spinach (almost powdered by that time) will rehydrate.

Caution--when I tried dehydrating peas, I discovered--unfortunately while out on a trip--that they remained the consistency of buckshot. After 20 minutes of cooking, I had a gluey-looking chicken casserole mush with buckshot pellets in it! I now buy freeze-dried peas and add them after dehydrating the rest of the meal. It's always a good idea to dehydrate something new in very small amounts and try it out at home. That's even more important when you'll be rehydrating in cold water.

Re nutrition--dehydrating or freeze-drying fruits and veggies destroys vitamin C. If you're out for a long trip, it's a good idea to take supplemental vitamin C. You won't get scurvy symptoms in a week, but several weeks is a different story unless you're out there in berry season "grazing" your way down the trail with purple hands and mouth. If, like me, you take a multi every day, you'll get more than enough C with that.

#191615 - 08/12/15 08:38 PM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: 4evrplan]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
I pack fresh veggies in. For trips lasting up to five days all the time. Spinach, kale tomatoes, celery , cucumbers , carrots to name a few the beautiful thing about fresh veggies is there shelf stable.

#191616 - 08/12/15 09:54 PM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: Samoset]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Hey, Samoset - welcome back! It's been a while - sounds like your cooking skills are undiminished. Good to see you posting again.

#191617 - 08/12/15 09:58 PM Re: No Cook: How Do You Get Your Veggies? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Hey buddy,
I was In the neighborhood, so I figured I'd stay a while wink

Another note about the fresh veggies is they are by no means lite weight . Which will usually ensure there consumed rapidly. On the plus side they make you feel good .

Edited by Samoset (08/12/15 09:59 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum