Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187549 - 10/30/14 07:47 PM Camera Type Considerations
Noonie Offline

I was last "into" photography 15 years ago. I had a SLR with two lenses. I would take my car and ahead to somewhere to photograph trees, plants and flowers, landscapes, and a bit of macro work.

I'm a hiking noob, and I'm thinking that while I'm out there hiking, I would like to rekindle the photo bug in me. I'm barely aware of DSLR, mirrorless cameras, and p&s. Currently I use my iPhone 4. Super convenient, not time consuming, but I would like to think more about the art And technology, without letting the tech take over. I want something I can access easily, and ideally I want one main lens that has a wide range, probably at the expense of quality. I may have another lens I could dig out of my bag for specific situations...but that's a later thought.

What I'm not sure of, is what I need to consider in a camera, and between the different types out there today, to satisfy hiking requirements.

FYI - I have a manfroto tripod with a nice ball-head, but I may not bring it on all hikes, I would rather be more natural out there, less "staged". But there will be times (low light) when I will take out the tripod, probably when photography is the goal of the hike.

Thanks!

#187550 - 10/30/14 11:01 PM Re: Camera Type Considerations [Re: Noonie]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Perhaps something like this?

Interchangeable lens cameras are another level of complexity. I use the Oly OM-D lineup.

#187551 - 10/31/14 10:39 AM Re: Camera Type Considerations [Re: Noonie]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
iphones are fantastic for what they can do - light, convenient, always available... But, of course they have serious drawbacks too - tiny lens and sensor, fixed aperture, slow, short battery life, terrible low light performance...

If you can afford it, I would definitely recommend getting a good camera (I really want to try a Sony RX100 II or III). I can't make specific recommendations, as I've never had a great camera (the best I've got is a Kodak Easyshare z760 I got as a gift), but there are a few things you can do to improve the photos taken by an iphone, if you're willing to work within it's limitations. For example, always stabilize it against something if you can. Try to use it only in well lit scenes. If you must take low light photos (I can't seem to stay away from them myself), you can try an app like Cortex Cam, which will actually take several exposures, align them, and pick the median of every pixel, all automatically. This results in a much cleaner picture, but of course, it can't be used with moving subjects. I can also highly recommend the app HDR3, for scenes with a lot of dynamic range, but it takes a very long time to process a single shot, tying up your phone for a good 30 seconds or more, and it saps juice pretty fast. Makes great shots though, if you can hold the phone still.

A better camera is really the way to go, but don't forget that the humble iphone camera can be a great supplement in addition to it sometimes.

Edited by 4evrplan (10/31/14 10:40 AM)

#187552 - 10/31/14 10:58 AM Re: Camera Type Considerations [Re: 4evrplan]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Just an example of what an iphone can do, given the perfect storm of conditions:

#187553 - 10/31/14 07:46 PM Re: Camera Type Considerations [Re: Noonie]
Noonie Offline

Decided on a Canon Rebel 5 with an IS lens. My existing film slr is a canon, so I can use my 100-300 telephoto lens. Little heavy, but I'm a noob hiker so I'm taking only easy hikes for a while.

#187576 - 11/03/14 06:24 PM Re: Camera Type Considerations [Re: Noonie]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
I hope that the lens you acquired is a wide angle as that is what I have found important for backpacking. I usually only take one lens, a 16-70mm, for backpacking. I do consider also taking the 35mm f1.8 for its light weight and low-light capability.

If you are getting back into the photography hobby, I would highly recommend acquiring Lightroom for organizing and processing. It can do some great things that were once only within the purview of Photoshop. And you can get both for $10 per month on an annual subscription. If you are shooting RAW, then you definitely need some type of processing software.

#187594 - 11/05/14 05:22 AM Re: Camera Type Considerations [Re: ndsol]
Noonie Offline

Originally Posted By ndsol
I hope that the lens you acquired is a wide angle as that is what I have found important for backpacking. I usually only take one lens, a 16-70mm, for backpacking. I do consider also taking the 35mm f1.8 for its light weight and low-light capability.

If you are getting back into the photography hobby, I would highly recommend acquiring Lightroom for organizing and processing. It can do some great things that were once only within the purview of Photoshop. And you can get both for $10 per month on an annual subscription. If you are shooting RAW, then you definitely need some type of processing software.

The camera comes with an 18--55 lens. I would leave that on for most situations, taking the telephoto with me in my pack when I think there might be a use for it.

#187675 - 11/11/14 04:20 PM Re: Camera Type Considerations [Re: Noonie]
Noonie Offline

Got my camera yesterday. Added a memory card, and cotton carrier strapshot for hiking. Can't wait to get out there! I will have to balance the enjoyment of hiking with photography, as I see myself as a hiker who wants to take pictures (enjoys photography), as opposed to a photographer who hikes to take pictures.

#187808 - 11/25/14 09:35 AM Re: Camera Type Considerations [Re: Noonie]
Noonie Offline

Thought I would post an update. I've been out hiking with the camera a few times now.

- I like the cotton carrier strapshot. My camera/lens isn't too heavy and I don't notice it affecting the comfort of my pack
- Of course I'm not hiking as long as I usually would given the same time, as I'm stopping to photography what interests me...but on the last hike I was careful to stop only when something was worth photographing, but also trying to pause here and there and take in what's around me (when the head is down, focused on the myriad of rocks/roots you can easily miss interesting scenes)
- regarding lenses, I'm getting by with the stock lens, but I'm now wanting something like an 18-135...that's wide enough and also decent telephoto. I really don't want to bring multiple lenses with me and stop hiking to fiddle.
- I haven't taken a tripod and I'm still debating whether it's too much hasle to bring one, set it up, etc. However, I often hike early in the morning and the light hasn't been great so I'm using higher ISO settings and/or smaller apetures (to avoid camera shake).

That's it for now...happy hiking and shooting.

#187845 - 11/28/14 08:54 AM Re: Camera Type Considerations [Re: Noonie]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Glad to hear it is working out for you.

I have personally found through trial and error that I am willing to give up some on the long end to ensure that the wide end is 16mm. There is more of a significant difference between 16mm and 18mm than I would have originally thought. That is why my backpacking lens is a 16-80mm.

It is has taken me quite some time to embrace the use of a tripod, but I now realize how important it is to obtain sharpness and, when necessary, depth of field. If you are using trekking poles, then you may want to consider TrailPix as a low-weight alternative. It is fussier than a regular tripod and I am hesitant to step it up in stronger winds, but the weight is nice.

#188738 - 01/26/15 02:34 PM Re: Camera Type Considerations [Re: Noonie]
HikingGeek Offline

I've been using a Sony NEx for the last year or so and I've been very happy with it. I've never had the need for a full DSLR, but have been unhappy with the image quality of most of the P&S cameras I have owned. The NEX seems to be a good compromise.

Most of the photos in this gallery were taken with my NEX:
http://www.hikinggeek.com/2013/12/31/best-photos-2013/

#202286 - 12/10/18 06:26 AM Re: Camera Type Considerations [Re: Noonie]
Matt Miller Offline

Loc: Dallas, GA, United States
Well i have been using Nikon D3400 since last year. I must say that it does its job well. It is pretty affordable with great picture and video quality. You can say its a beginner's camera. It would be a great choice especially when you're thinking about 'rekindling your photo bug'. However, carrying it can be a fatigue sometimes.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum