Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187527 - 10/28/14 12:09 AM First Timer! Smokies?
croninXVX Offline

Loc: North Florida
I live in Florida. I am new to backpacking but am really intrigued and excited by it. After just a few hours of making this account I have already gained some real insight that I am really pumped on:
I learned things like not being so gung-ho at the start to where I go drop $600 on gear before I need to, to get a good handful of day hikes under my belt before I tackle an overnight, and other mistakes that beginners make. However, one thing I have not found insight on is where exactly I should go.

Obviously, Florida is not very conducive to the kind of sights I want to see. I can do some of my shorter day hikes here, but I want mountains, waterfalls, and the like. I travel to the North Carolina/Tennessee area with somewhat regularity and don't mind the drive at all. Ideally, I would like to do my first real overnight in this region. I really just need suggestions or some sort of direction. Not a newbie to google, I have spent a couple days searching for beginner/moderate difficulty trails with campsites but nothing seems to jump out at me! If you guys have any recommendations on where I should go I would love to hear it.

Note: After navigating my way through some blogs and websites, a lot of people rave about the GSMNP as a great place to backpack despite fees and potential crowding. However, I seem to get mixed reviews on whether or not there are trails in the park that are okay for a beginner to traverse. Its like as soon as I get excited about trying to map out an itinerary for an overnighter, I read someone say the smokies are tough to backpack through. Any feedback on whether or not certain trails in the GSMNP would be a good fit is much appreciated!

Edited by croninXVX (10/28/14 04:56 AM)

#187530 - 10/28/14 11:36 AM Re: First Timer! Smokies? [Re: croninXVX]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I'm on the left coast, so I can't give you specific recommendations however a good option for a beginner is an "out and back" preferably up a mountain. You start hiking up a mountain and when you get tired you stop. The next day you have a leisurely walk down the mountain. You don't have to figure out before hand how far you can go. If you want to go out for two nights, spend the second day day hiking and then return to the same camp in the evening.

It is never easy to figure how far you can go and even more difficult for a beginner. Reading trip reports from highly experienced people who put in 15-20 mile days (with highly refined equipment) can give you a poor set of expectations.

#187533 - 10/28/14 03:22 PM Re: First Timer! Smokies? [Re: BZH]
croninXVX Offline

That's awesome, thank you so much for the input.

I had seen so much about specifics and planning, planning, planning so I never really thought about tackling it like that. But I'm glad you mentioned it. I suppose my best bet would be to take that approach the first few times and get a feel for what I can actually do and then start planning more specifically as I go.

Thanks!

#187536 - 10/28/14 07:24 PM Re: First Timer! Smokies? [Re: croninXVX]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
We have a member here, PerryMK, who backpacks in Florida! It may not be hilly, but there's the Florida Trail, which certainly should be more suitable than the Smokies for winter backpacking.

ETSU Pride does a lot of trips in the Smokies and hopefully can give you some answers.

I'm also out on the left coast so have no personal experience.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/28/14 07:30 PM)

#187537 - 10/28/14 07:41 PM Re: First Timer! Smokies? [Re: OregonMouse]
croninXVX Offline

Thank you OM!

I will have to hook up with both of them and pick their brains about their trail experiences. So excited to get started!

#187562 - 11/02/14 08:15 AM Re: First Timer! Smokies? [Re: croninXVX]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Maybe I missed it, but when are you wanting to make the journey? Since Halloween night, the high elevation Smokies got hammered with 22 inches of snow. It sure was beautiful sight to see while driving down the road, the valley had fall color and the mountain back drop was white. cool

#187565 - 11/02/14 08:30 PM Re: First Timer! Smokies? [Re: ETSU Pride]
croninXVX Offline

Ideally I would like to get a handful of Florida day hikes under my belt over the course of the next few (very bearable) winter months, and then hit the smokies sometime in the spring, if possible!

#187566 - 11/02/14 08:30 PM Re: First Timer! Smokies? [Re: croninXVX]
croninXVX Offline

and by a handful, I mean as many as possible!

#187579 - 11/03/14 09:59 PM Re: First Timer! Smokies? [Re: croninXVX]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
My first true backpack trip was 11 days solo in the Smokies 5 years ago where I did 5 different "trips" all over the park totaling over 100 miles. Started easier at first since I didn't know what to expect or how my body would hold up. There are so many 1 or 2 night trips you could do there, and just stringing together 2 or 3 to fill what time you have may be easier than 1 longer one. There are only a few trails there that are "tough" (going up Baxter Creek for example) but in general I wouldn't worry about what route you may select if you keep the mileage lower to start.

I partnered up with someone for my first trip to the Rockies the following year since I was again not sure how I'd handle it, and it was much more remote and rugged than the Smokies. Now I'm fine doing 7 day loops solo out there.

#187591 - 11/04/14 08:32 PM Re: First Timer! Smokies? [Re: croninXVX]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
If you come early spring you may be dealing with high creek crossing from snow melt! There are really quite a few options in the Smokies and like Topshot said, keeping mileage manageable is way to do it. Don't try to push 15 miles in the Smokies for your first time (I can imagine 15 miles in Florida would be easier than here.), I'd say keep it around 6-8 miles a day with light as possible backpack, and you have all day to move that far. One option you should look into is maybe keep your first couple days long and final day short. For instance you're going to do a 3 day hike for 20 miles, on day one do 7 miles day two you will do 8, and final day will be easy 5 mile stroll to the car. Philosophy behind this: is day one be the ease your legs into the trail kind of day. Middle of the trip will be the gauntlet day of hardcore hiking, while final day when you're tired you'll have low mileages to the car and can take it easy. It's just something to consider when mapping out mileages when you get a route since if you do it hardcore on day one, you will probably be super tired the remaining of the trip. After all it's a marathon not a sprint!

Also, when reading trip reports online about difficulties in the Smokies, take it however you want. I ignore them (well, I do look at the sweet pictures!). Why? i can't tell you how many times i been day hiking and ran into exhausted tourists biting off more than they can chew. Why? They may walk several miles on a flat track while their kids are playing ball, or walk the dog down the street, walk around outside on their lunch break, etc., then think they could do a 4 miles 1,600 feet climb with no problem. They go and do it only to be in sheer exhaustion due to elevation and uneven terrain as well as factoring in pack weight. Therefore, that's extreme difficulties to them, where to me, a difficult trail in the Smokies is mostly long mileage. All of the climbs in the Smokies are tamed to me unless I carry an enormous pack weight which I have no intention of trying. I can do a 13 mile hike in 6 hours with less than 10 pounds on me. I've done 17 in a single day with 20 pound pack in about 8-9ish hours of walking time. And I've been doing this for quite a few years as well as riding mountain bikes regularly. When I go out west to the Rockies or Sierra i'm going to get my butt kick badly, and will be just like those tourists that come here once a year grin

If you have any specific questions regarding backpacking in this area, feel free to PM me. I can also help you with gear selections in this area if you want an input, and others here can help you get started as well. I've learned a lot from these folks on here. I might be hiking somewhere in Smokies when you decide to come up. I'm either in the Smokies or in western Carolina.

Edited by ETSU Pride (11/04/14 08:34 PM)

#187612 - 11/06/14 08:49 PM Re: First Timer! Smokies? [Re: ETSU Pride]
mekineer Offline

Please, at least one pic of a really tall snow drift. I really loved playing "king of the mountain" as a kid.

...although, I think those drifts were created by a caterpillar plow

Edited by mekineer (11/06/14 08:55 PM)

#187870 - 12/01/14 03:24 PM Re: First Timer! Smokies? [Re: croninXVX]
Lucky Man Offline

Loc: Florida
The Smokies have great wildflowers in spring. Check the park's website, and note there are several 2- and 3-day and longer options out of Big Creek, a beautiful campground convenient to the interstate. Note there are also many mountain hiking areas closer to Florida, where you don't need reservations, such as the Foothills Trail, north Georgia, Panthertown Valley and the Standing Indian Loop area. Though flat and requiring reservations, Cumberland Island also is beautiful.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum