Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186012 - 07/01/14 01:34 PM Campfires
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
This was posted on the Ozark National Scenic Riverways Facebook page today...

"You want to go where?"

#186013 - 07/01/14 01:51 PM Re: Campfires [Re: billstephenson]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Nice Bill.
Duane

#186014 - 07/01/14 02:58 PM Re: Campfires [Re: billstephenson]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
An item we often have to do without out here in the West….

Actually, I enjoy watching it get dark and the stars come out, something you don't see while sitting around a fire.

#186016 - 07/01/14 05:00 PM Re: Campfires [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Originally Posted By OregonMouse

Actually, I enjoy watching it get dark and the stars come out, something you don't see while sitting around a fire.

That's for sure. And now illegal in lots of the top backpacking destinations in the West.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#186028 - 07/02/14 07:49 PM Re: Campfires [Re: OregonMouse]
billstephenson Offline

Me too OM. I do love campfires too. All my kids grew up making "Smores" around campfires and still get together with their school age friends and have them. It is a Ozarky thing. People have backyard parties where the main attraction is a bonfire. We'll have one too. It's a good way to get rid of all the deadfall in the yard and pasture and a good excuse for family and friends to get together.

But, I still love sleeping on the ground with no campfire and no tent and gazing at the sky. I've still never seen as many stars as I did while camping in Sequoia NP and I do miss that. That view would certainly make a difference if the choice were available.

This time of year here there's so much humidity in the air that even on clear nights you don't see near as much as you can out West. Even so, people that come from the city where the light pollution is strong are amazed by the stars and night sky here, so it's still better than a lot of places laugh

"You want to go where?"

#186036 - 07/03/14 11:00 AM Re: Campfires [Re: billstephenson]
hikerduane Offline

I called the Mohawk office of the Plumas NF, no campfires in CG's that do not have a host as of July 1. I am going car camping a couple nights, taking an old Optimus 22B, 8, Coleman 502 stoves couple Coleman lanterns, 242C and a 200A.
Duane

#186038 - 07/03/14 01:39 PM Re: Campfires [Re: hikerduane]

Meaning the poor campground host has to run around putting out everyone's campfires?

#186041 - 07/03/14 01:45 PM Re: Campfires [Re: OregonMouse]
hikerduane Offline

About a year ago, some of the group I do trips with, stayed at a CG along Lake Tahoe the night before a bp trip into Desolation. The morning we were packing up, a FS employee/vendor/host came by, asked which site we had used, he was checking to make sure the fires were out. I had dumped water and stirred ours like it is supposed to be done.
I go off of the FS definition of an established CG, where there are picnic tables, sites numbered, metal fire pits/bbq's and maybe fees.
Duane

#186045 - 07/03/14 04:04 PM Re: Campfires [Re: OregonMouse]
billstephenson Offline

Meaning the poor campground host has to run around putting out everyone's campfires?

He'd probably be busy this weekend. It seems to be the big one for knuckleheads everywhere. grin

I don't think you could start a full blown forest fire here right now, but there's been times when it was pretty dry and crunchy and it's a bit scary because there's always a few small wildfires when that happens.

The guy we bought our place from liked to burn leaves and was sternly told by the fire dept to never start another fire here again. laugh Most all are started by the land owner where they got out of control fast enough for the fire fighters to be called in. They generally make pretty fast work of it, but generally you can't even compare how fast they grow and spread to out West.

Fireworks are legal here too, and you can buy some pretty big rockets at the stands that appear everywhere this time of year. That can be a little scary. My poor dogs sure hate it.

The latest craze for the 4th are those "Sky Lanterns". They are pretty, but people can be pretty stupid with those too. However, when that happens they are very likely to be told to stop by locals who know better. I got to witness that a couple years ago when it was an obvious risk. There were people on a few boats setting them off and they got it from all sides. People were honking horns and yelling at them. They got the message. They won't be much of a problem this year though, it's cool and green and the ground is still wet under the mulch.

"You want to go where?"

#186063 - 07/05/14 11:26 PM Re: Campfires [Re: billstephenson]
hikerduane Offline

Well, I told some fellow campers Thursday evening, that there was a campfire ban. They went ahead anyway, they planned on cooking over the fire, no stove. Friday afternoon, the FS came by, posting signs, went thru the small CG, telling folks no campfires. The three guys next to me went ahead again anyway, too lazy to drive home and get a stove. They lived closer than I did. Hour round trip maybe for them. I had three stoves, did not offer even my small Coleman 502 for them to use.
Duane

#186085 - 07/08/14 09:10 AM Re: Campfires [Re: hikerduane]
PEARL DRUMS Offline

Loc: Central Michigan
I pout like a baby when we hike areas that don't allow fires. It is as important to me as my boots and food. I love the smell, the sound and the warmth.

#186986 - 09/04/14 10:51 PM Re: Campfires [Re: billstephenson]
laschke Offline

I love campfires when I camp. They remind me of my childhood. laugh The only exception is if I am hiking long distances by the end of the day I am usually too tired to try to build a fire and end up curling up in my tent.

#187423 - 10/20/14 01:50 AM Re: Campfires [Re: billstephenson]
billstephenson Offline

We had a family bonfire party last night. I've been stacking deadfall from around our yard over the Summer and cleaned up some more this past week. It was a good one cool

"You want to go where?"

#187464 - 10/22/14 04:04 PM Re: Campfires [Re: billstephenson]
billstephenson Offline

Geez... I figured bait this big would have to catch some kind of flack, but not even a nibble???

cry

"You want to go where?"

#187466 - 10/22/14 04:16 PM Re: Campfires [Re: billstephenson]

I am sure you wouldn't have done this on a windy night during a drought, or during the (sometimes) several months' dry seasons we have out here in the NW! The fire appears to be going straight up (i.e., it's not windy) and you have plenty of people to help should it start getting away.

We have bonfires like that at my youngest son's beach house on the Washington coast. Only when fire danger is low, though.

#187468 - 10/22/14 06:50 PM Re: Campfires [Re: OregonMouse]
billstephenson Offline

Of course you assume correctly smile

It really was a perfect night for it. There was no wind at all that night or the next couple days and everything is still pretty damp from some rain we had a few days previous.

The burros were out there with us too. They were too funny, kept making the rounds looking for snacks and some petting. My grandson, who's 6 now, and his little sister, who's about 18 months were here. He hasn't ever been interested in the burros, but she just fell in love with them and couldn't get enough.

"You want to go where?"

#187497 - 10/25/14 06:19 PM Re: Campfires [Re: billstephenson]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
It's the Ozarks. What are we going to say?

#187516 - 10/27/14 12:08 PM Re: Campfires [Re: Gershon]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By Gershon
It's the Ozarks. What are we going to say?

"Dang Hillbillies" laugh

"You want to go where?"

#187529 - 10/28/14 11:00 AM Re: Campfires [Re: billstephenson]
hikerduane Offline

When I get my burn pile going, it's bigger than that. Makes good effects if done after dark. smile
Duane

#187642 - 11/10/14 12:09 PM Re: Campfires [Re: hikerduane]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
I used to be proud of my ability to get a fire started any time anywhere, but now never do it when I'm solo. Too much trouble and too many potential problems. Sometimes it's fun in a group. I have an occasional hiking/canoeing partner who carries an axe and a saw. Together they weigh more than my pack. Not for me. best, jcp

#187655 - 11/10/14 07:12 PM Re: Campfires [Re: JPete]
billstephenson Offline

I'm more of stick fire kinda guy myself. If I can't easily break it I don't burn it. I do small fires when I'm solo, but JPete, you know you can't stop some of these Ozarkers from building giant campfires. I don't even try anymore when I'm with a group. Everyone looks at me like I'm from CA if I try to extoll the virtues of small stick fires. eek

"You want to go where?"

#187668 - 11/11/14 06:53 AM Re: Campfires [Re: billstephenson]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Easier to cook on a small twiggy fire too. Add another handful for high heat, etc...

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum