Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187295 - 10/08/14 10:05 AM Road Walking - the Other Hiking
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I love to hike in the mountains, but I can't do it everyday. In February, I started a virtual hike around the 48 states. In a virtual hike, the hiker actually hikes the miles, but the progress is charted on a map. The route is realistic and a person could "reality hike" the route.

Along the way, I realized Road Walking is different. Road Walking is my trail name when I'm on the road. I'm not a hiker there. To find out how it is different, a person would have to do it.

After walking almost a ton (2,000) miles, something flipped in my brain. Walking the 8 to 12 miles a day is no longer a challenge. I have become more introspective and my legs move on their own.

If you would like to follow my journey, please click on the link in the signature.

Road Walking

PS: Does anyone know how to change my name here from Gershon to Road Walking?

#187308 - 10/08/14 03:51 PM Re: Road Walking - the Other Hiking [Re: Gershon]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
What about dirt road walking?

Out here in the desert, there are a lot of dirt roads that you could drive on, or you could just walk them. But, being that it is in the desert, not much water. I have been thinking about doing a trip out in the desert with a cart of water. I could also drive to specific spots and stash water.

#187315 - 10/08/14 06:47 PM Re: Road Walking - the Other Hiking [Re: finallyME]
Gershon Offline

One nice thing about road walking, there is nobody out there to say you are wrong.

Be careful about leaving water in plastic jugs. I've read in a few days the jugs crack or fall apart when you pick them up.

One way to walk these areas is to do an out and back from the car.

#187316 - 10/08/14 06:52 PM Re: Road Walking - the Other Hiking [Re: Gershon]
Gershon Offline

Many road walkers use a cart like the one in this post. Some people put in solid inner tubes. Others use Slime. Others carry a patch kit and extra tubes.

#187329 - 10/09/14 06:37 PM Re: Road Walking - the Other Hiking [Re: Gershon]
Gershon Offline

The difference 3,100 miles makes.

#187395 - 10/14/14 10:49 PM Re: Road Walking - the Other Hiking [Re: Gershon]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Interesting. My 95-year old mother lives in a retirement home. They are "walking to Alaska". My mom does her part doing one mile a day. They have "routes" both inside down the halls with markers every 0.1 miles, and one loop outdoors around a duck pond. They add up everyone's walk and plot it on a map. Many of the residents do the walk in their walkers. It really is a motivator to get the older people moving. I thought it was a great idea.

#187443 - 10/21/14 09:45 AM Re: Road Walking - the Other Hiking [Re: wandering_daisy]
Gershon Offline

After over 2,000 miles of the 48 state virtual hike, I'm seeing a reality hike is possible. I've solved all the issues as far as Montana and it only gets easier from there.

Physically, I see it is possible to complete in a year. It may be possible to complete in 10 months. I've started a series of posts with a walking training plan if anyone is interested. I'll also be adding solutions to other challenges.

Check the link in my signature if you are interested.

#187623 - 11/07/14 03:41 PM Re: Road Walking - the Other Hiking [Re: Gershon]
Gershon Offline

Pedometer Wars

Introduction
I dislike war analogies for two reasons. First, in a way it trivializes the efforts of those who have been in battle. Second, nothing on the 48 state hike will be close to the effort of battle. However, to complete the 48 state hike the walker will need to delve into areas of physical fatigue and willpower they may never have felt. I am introducing the warrior concept to my training as I no longer feel pain anywhere and fatigue is harmless as long as there isn't too much of it. Therefore, I've chosen Pedometer Competitions as my battleground.

Choose your Weapons

I use a Fitbit Zip Pedometer. It is the simplest and least expensive pedometer in the Fitbit line. From what I've read, it also seems to be the most accurate.

The pedometer is accurate if clipped most anywhere. Sometimes the pedometer can fall out of the holder, so I clip it so the pedometer is inside a pocket.

When taking the pedometer to war, change the battery once a month. Otherwise, it may last up to three months with big variations.

I recently bought a used treadmill so it's quicker to get steps during breaks at home.

Your other weapons are everything you wear when walking.

Choose your Battle
Fitbit has community groups with monthly competitions. There are small and large groups.

When I was in basic training at the Air Force Academy, one of the upperclassmen used to shout, "Second place in a gunfight ain't worth shit!" Taking this philosophy to the pedometer war means I choose a group where I can win. I also choose a group where winning will be challenging. This month, I've chosen to win in the Colorado Springs Fitbit Group .

I'm solidly in first place today, but I know the guy in third place can catch me in an afternoon. His longest days are longer than mine, so my lead isn't as solid as it looks.

Strategies and tactics
Strategic planning is long term. For instance, "I will average 22,000 steps a day (11 miles) is a strategy." Anything that is preplanned is a strategy.

Tactics change from day to day. For instance, when I saw a competitor getting slightly ahead of me at the end of each day, I decided to put in three or four long days to extend my lead. Perhaps they will give up the shadowing and drop back further.

Lessons of War
The major battles in life are internal. Externalizing them in mock wars teaches us how to motivate our internal "soldier."

Conclusion
I think Pedometer Wars can motivate those who enjoy competition. I can also see where training for war and "fighting" these wars will help me increase my daily mileage. I can see many ways to use war metaphors for training. I may touch on these in my blog, or maybe I'll write a book.

#188299 - 12/30/14 12:49 PM Re: Road Walking - the Other Hiking [Re: Gershon]
Gershon Offline

The tools for planning a long road walk are getting better all the time. I found a new animated street view with a draggable map. This will allow the walker to plan many miles at once.

Street View

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum