Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187061 - 09/11/14 12:28 PM Vote How I Should Set Up This Pole
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I'm not much of a fisherman at all; in fact, I don't have a license, but every once in a blue moon when I'm in a state park (no license required in Texas state parks) I try anyway. I'm strongly considering getting one of the 10' Shakespeare Durango/Wonderpole pan fishing poles (no reel), both for the simplicity and light weight. It'll live most of it's life in my trunk, but it'll go in my pack whenever I go hiking in a state park (or other water if/when I buy a license). I'm considering setting this up as a "redneck tenkara" setup for the fun of it. Let's hear everyone's opinions, should I leave it as a mono/sinker/bobber rig, go tenkara-ish, carry tackle for both, or something else?
Which Style of Fishing
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 09/11/14 12:14 PM
View the results of this poll.

#187062 - 09/11/14 12:47 PM Re: Vote How I Should Set Up This Pole [Re: 4evrplan]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Why not give plunking from the bank a go? If you don't try it you'll never know, and the opportunity to carry such a bone-simple rig is mighty attractive.

Cheers,

#187063 - 09/11/14 02:42 PM Re: Vote How I Should Set Up This Pole [Re: Rick_D]
4evrplan Offline

I googled the term "plunking", and it seems to be a lot of different things to different people, but it general, it looks like (1)live bait (or something smelly) (2)sinker (3)no bobber (4)sit and wait. Is that what you had in mind? Forgive my ignorance - I said I wasn't much of a fisherman.

Edited by 4evrplan (09/11/14 02:43 PM)

#187066 - 09/11/14 03:56 PM Re: Vote How I Should Set Up This Pole [Re: 4evrplan]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Just using the term generically, for bank fishin' with a line tied to a long pole (have seen telescoping rods the better part of 20' long). Whether dangling bait or using a bobber, it's a great way to extend past bankside brush and out to clear water. Don't, however, know quite how you land a fish at the end of a 16' pole if there's brush between you and the water!

cheers,

#187067 - 09/11/14 05:35 PM Re: Vote How I Should Set Up This Pole [Re: Rick_D]
4evrplan Offline

Originally Posted By Rick_D
Don't, however, know quite how you land a fish at the end of a 16' pole if there's brush between you and the water.

You don't, I guess. There's gotta be a clear spot somewhere, however narrow, I would think. Either that or drag the fish over brush - not so great for the fish. If the brush is narrow enough, you could lean over it and bring the line in hand over hand.

#187068 - 09/11/14 07:23 PM Re: Vote How I Should Set Up This Pole [Re: 4evrplan]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I've never tenkara fished. I haven't ever done any kind of fly fishing. I have however read some stuff about tenkara. I've read a few reports about doing this kind of thing, but I've yet to come across anyone who has enthusiastically endorsed it.

#187069 - 09/12/14 09:51 AM Re: Vote How I Should Set Up This Pole [Re: 4evrplan]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I grew up fishing with cheap bamboo cane poles and a piece of line tied to the end. Hook/bobber, fly, spinner, whatever on the end of the line. Poles 15' long were common and fine around creeks/ponds with little brush. Now, "crappie poles" of 18', telescoping, can be had at Walmart in the $20 range, but with exactly the same idea as cane poles. "tenkara" appears to be a fancy name applied to cane pole fishing, but with fancier telescoping rods. After moving on to fly rods and ultra-light spinning tackle, I've no interest in messing with a long pole ever again. grin They get hung up in everything, tips break, and are useless around trees and brush overhanging the water. I love fly fishing but have always caught more Texas fish with a spinning rod and spinner baits. Jigs for crappie, rubber baits for bigger bass. Our stocked trout don't bite flies, but hit marshmallows and spinners instead. A light spin-cast system handles all that. I'm with you on the "no license, state park" thing. I fish Texas state parks and creeks around Dallas/Ft. Worth. A compact ultralite spinning system (cheap!) has netted me more fish than any other system. If the Texas park has a lake or stream, I'll be in a kayak where long poles don't work well.

Edited by Dryer (09/12/14 09:53 AM)

#187072 - 09/12/14 11:19 AM Re: Vote How I Should Set Up This Pole [Re: Dryer]
4evrplan Offline

Originally Posted By Dryer
...A light spin-cast system handles all that...

Good stuff, Dryer, especially as it applies to Texas. So do you ever use those short telescoping rod reel combos like the ones you find in department stores (usually Shakespeare brand I believe)? Seems reasonably light weight. I could commandeer my kids telescoping spiderman rod & reel for backpacking smile. Not sure how well that reel works though. Or if I wanted to get fancy (and still not spend much money), I could get one of those pen rods, though I've never much liked spinning reels, and that's what they come with. What do you carry?

#187074 - 09/12/14 12:22 PM Re: Vote How I Should Set Up This Pole [Re: 4evrplan]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I look for the tiniest spinning reels I can find. Dick's, Walmart, Academy usually have combo ultra-light rod/reel sets for $20-30 that work great and have dinky reels. I just bought a Shakespeare set that breaks down to two 2.5 ft. sections at Dicks. Don't get caught up in how many ball bearings the reel has. My Mitchell ultra-light reels have zero ball bearings and work beautifully. I have a 6 section pack rod that doubles as a fly/spinning rod....somewhat useful...rarely used. Those little Snoopy or Spiderman rods are actually quite good! I think Shakespeare makes a little boat or dock rod (spring steel, looks like a cell antenna), about 1.5ft long, that would be great with a better reel. Plastic reels, I don't like.

Addendum....I'm a cheap skate when it comes to fishing. A $600 fly system catches no better fish than a $20 starter kit or cobbled together hand line, in the right hands. Get something with usable action, some good line (4 lb. for me!) mix and match reels/rods, and learn about what you are trying to catch. And bring the kids!

Edited by Dryer (09/12/14 12:40 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum