Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187017 - 09/07/14 01:51 AM Long term backpacking trip.
Bravepersist Offline

I have been thinking seriously about planning a long term backpacking trip. Something like half of the USA. Now I may sound crazy (maybe not so some of you...yet) but I was wondering, first off how I would get started on such a long term trip? I do not have a whole lot of experience, but I have dedication and motivation so I think it would be perfect for me to really start to get into things.

I do have a pretty serious mental illness called bipolar type 1. I have to take medications, on a regular basis. This adds another level of difficulty, but I would really like to be able to concur this, and prove that I can do it. To get back to myself after the first real bad spout. I would like to believe this is possible, any input would be greatly appreciated. Even if you do not have the information on the mental illness.
Thanks wink

#187018 - 09/07/14 02:11 AM Re: Long term backpacking trip. [Re: Bravepersist]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
There are several long trails that cross most, or all, of the USA from north to south: Appalachian Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, Continental Divide Trail. These are listed in more or less in order of difficulty. Do some googling for information (each of the trails has its own association) and read some journals on Trailjournals.com or Postholer.com. Our own BrianLe (Gadget) has completed all three of those north-south trails, and his journals (on Postholer) would be good to start with.

As for medication, you'd want to have refills arrive at each supply stop. If you have problems forgetting the medication, or have episodes of illness even when regularly taking the medication, it would be a good idea to have someone hike with you. Others with medical difficulties, some severe, have completed these trails.

To start, what you really need is to acquire backpacking experience and skills with a number of short trips before you start on the long trip.

Edited by OregonMouse (09/07/14 02:12 AM)

#187019 - 09/07/14 06:23 AM Re: Long term backpacking trip. [Re: OregonMouse]
Bravepersist Offline

Hey, thanks. I appreciate your input. I do think I would want someone to hike with. Just in case. Either way, something could happen, I could get hurt, or yes have an episode. So I think that would be the best route to go.

I will definitely spend some time researching the information you gave me.

One question, how many backpacking trips do you think it would take to acquire the skills necessary? I have done quite a bit of hiking/bouldering in my life, but have never taken an actual backpacking trip. I guess I just feel it is something that calls to me.

#187020 - 09/07/14 06:24 AM Re: Long term backpacking trip. [Re: Bravepersist]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Your post doesn't say if you want to travel on trails or on roads. They are somewhat different forms of backpacking. Once a person has experience, road walking is more difficult than hiking on trails as the logistics are more difficult. It's also more expensive as people seem to spend about 2/3 of the nights in a motel.

Either way, the way to get started is to start gaining experience. Start walking almost every day no matter what the weather, except for obvious extremes. This will help get you in shape and you will learn what type of clothing is needed. Road walking clothes are somewhat different than backpacking clothes.

I have a foot in both camps, but I think I'm one of the only ones on this forum that has a big foot in the roadwalking camp. If that is your interest, you can poke around in the blog in my signature.

Whichever type of backpacking you prefer, things you read won't be meaningful without some experience. Start planning short hikes, and then short overnight trips, even if the overnight part is in your backyard.

Before taking off on a long trip of either type, I'd suggest a training trip long enough so you have to resupply food a couple of times. For backpacking, three nights out between resupplies works well for new people. The distance isn't so important and depends on the terrain. Even five miles a day is enough. For roadwalking, if you are going to be anyplace in the western half of the United States, being able to travel 75 miles without water is imperative. This means having a pushcart and being able to walk 25 miles a day for three days in a row.

Before you buy any gear, I suggest you discuss it here. Most new people waste money buying gear they don't need and gear that is too heavy.

#187021 - 09/07/14 06:48 AM Re: Long term backpacking trip. [Re: Bravepersist]
Gershon Offline

Originally Posted By thbraversist

One question, how many backpacking trips do you think it would take to acquire the skills necessary? I have done quite a bit of hiking/bouldering in my life, but have never taken an actual backpacking trip. I guess I just feel it is something that calls to me.

On one extreme, you can acquire the skills necessary in zero overnight trips. My first backpacking trip was 14 days unsupported with no resupplies. We traveled about seven miles bushwhacking each night with no maps. This was in military survival school. We were taught all the skills in a base camp before the trip.

My second backpacking trip was a nine day solo winter trek in Yosemite Park. This was also without resupplies. This one may not have been too smart, but I was young.

On the other extreme, you can take a year or two of practice and preparation.

Since you asked for a number, I'll give one. Five one or two night trips where you learn your equipment and how to navigate. Two 75 mile trips with a resupply or two in the middle. If you will be traveling in especially hazardous areas such as the desert or if you will be traveling in the winter, it may take more preparation. Remember, it can be winter almost year round in some mountainous areas.

#187029 - 09/08/14 09:46 AM Re: Long term backpacking trip. [Re: Bravepersist]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
The speed of your learning curve really depends on you, and what/who you have available. If you have someone experienced that can show you the ropes, it will probably only be a few overnights. If you are doing it all alone, or with another newbie, then it might take several more trips, and lots of discussion on online boards. Your first step is to go on an overnight trip. Mileage is not important. In fact, you can car camp, with backpacking equipment. You can even camp in your backyard. Gershon had excellent advice for walking a lot. Once you start getting gear, take it on your walks. When I brake in new scouts to backpacking, I take them on an overnighter that is only a few miles in and out. Then I take them on a 2 night trip with 15 miles total. Then we do a week of 30+ miles. Of course, they have someone experienced (me smile ) that can help and guide them. If I were you, I wouldn't hit a long trail until I had done a couple weeklong trips. They will help you see how far you can walk, plus help with what food you need. Of course, they will also help with gear selection.

#187035 - 09/09/14 04:31 AM Re: Long term backpacking trip. [Re: finallyME]
Bravepersist Offline

Thanks for all of the responses! I do have a little bit of gear. I have a big backpacking backpack. Some camping gear, and a sleeping bag. I may need a new tent, unless that is just extra baggage to carry on such a long trip.

I definitely want to hike out on the trails as opposed to the road. I feel it would be the right way to go for me. I would like to go with someone experienced, but I fear I would just hold them back. I do not think I would be able to do 20+ miles a day. I would have to take it easy on myself. I can't imagine the level of difficulty such a long trek would be. I really don't mind compromising time for speed. But I do not know how many others feel that way.

#187039 - 09/09/14 12:28 PM Re: Long term backpacking trip. [Re: Bravepersist]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
My suggestion would be to borrow, rent, and/or fabricate gear so that you can get a cheap start to see if you really like it. Then follow what I think Gershon said, do at least a couple of short trips. Then I'd strongly suggest a "shakedown" hike of at least 50 miles.

If you still like it at that point, perhaps the best way to learn various skills and info-bits that will help you succeed on a long distance hike is on a long distance hike. In particular, if you start the AT or the PCT about when most folks do, you can easily find yourself hiking in a group and learning from the group.

So, in short, if you really want to hike half of the U.S., I suggest that you ramp up in a way that gives you better odds of success at hiking a long distance, and then hike either the PCT or the AT "with the herd". In some ways the AT is easier to jump into if you have really little experience; for the PCT, you should have some experience in snow at least, depending on the particular year.

I've been doing something similar to what you're talking about, knocking off long trail chunks. The AT and PCT are well documented, clearly marked, sort of "training wheels for long distance hiking" experiences. If you find you like it and/or get addicted to it, there are a lot of trails to hike. I did about 800 miles this year, and plan to hike the rest of the Pacific NW Trail and half of the Florida trail in 2015.

Here's a good list of long distance trails just in the U.S. (and FWIW I've quite enjoyed a couple of relatively long trips in Europe too):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-distance_trails_in_the_United_States

It's fun stuff if you like it. It does not, however, make you particularly tough or smart or better looking --- in fact, you'll most likely be avoided as a smelly homeless person more than once along the way! :-)

#187043 - 09/09/14 03:13 PM Re: Long term backpacking trip. [Re: BrianLe]
Gershon Offline

Originally Posted By BrianLe

It's fun stuff if you like it. It does not, however, make you particularly tough or smart or better looking --- in fact, you'll most likely be avoided as a smelly homeless person more than once along the way! :-)

This is especially true for roadwalkers. It's part of the fun. smile

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum