Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187011 - 09/05/14 08:05 PM base camp gear protection
mekineer Offline

Aside from hanging a food bag, I worry about mice, squirrels, raccoons, etc, being attracted to the gear from remaining odors, or just wanting a salt lick. Has anyone tried carrying chili powder or something like that, to sprinkle on your gear? If it rained, would the powder soak into the gear? Perhaps just on the ground around your gear?

I got this idea from someone who recommended "critter ridder" (but I would rather use something from the dollar store).

Another idea, was a garbage bag that has anti-mice smell (for the backpack). However, my thoughts is that the chili powder would be less nasty and weigh less.

Edited by mekineer (09/07/14 01:54 AM)

#187031 - 09/08/14 01:45 PM Re: base camp gear protection [Re: mekineer]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Look at ursacks.

#187034 - 09/09/14 02:49 AM Re: base camp gear protection [Re: finallyME]
mekineer Offline

Is kevlar sailcloth similar to the material of Ursacks?

Also, I was mainly talking about protecting the backpack that doesn't have food in it. Hiding it under some rocks, the mice may be curious enough to make a hole, even if there is only a very slight odor of food.

Also, why not just bury the food in a waterproof bag, like a Mint-X trash bag?

Edited by mekineer (09/09/14 04:47 AM)

#187036 - 09/09/14 11:11 AM Re: base camp gear protection [Re: mekineer]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I think you would find burying food would be more difficult than hanging it, and animals could still dig it up.

Many people leave the zippers undone so the mice can go in and out without chewing their way. Unless you are camping in an area where mice and other critters are a known problem, I wouldn't worry about it. Worst case is you sew a patch on your pack and you have a story to tell.

#187037 - 09/09/14 11:42 AM Re: base camp gear protection [Re: mekineer]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Salt on gear does cause problems with animals, particularly marmots. Hang your pack on a thin line (like parachute cord). Tie a rock on the end and throw it over a branch then attach your pack and pull up. Just getting it up off the ground will deter many small animals. If the line is thin enough, then even tree climbers will not likely be able to climb down the cord to reach your pack.

#187041 - 09/09/14 01:36 PM Re: base camp gear protection [Re: mekineer]
finallyME Offline

If your pack doesn't have food in it, then don't worry about it. I have only seen problems with food left inside. If you are still worried, hang the pack off the ground like WD said.

#187042 - 09/09/14 02:44 PM Re: base camp gear protection [Re: wandering_daisy]
mekineer Offline

Wandering Daisy: Unlikely perhaps, but I also worry about human thieves. So I want to hide it, which would mean stuffing it somewhere, or throwing branches over it, etc.

Have you guys ever tried what I suggested? I'd like to hear the failure stories.

Edited by mekineer (09/09/14 02:46 PM)

#187046 - 09/09/14 06:13 PM Re: base camp gear protection [Re: finallyME]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Depends on where you backpack. Here in the Sierra, the marmots are super aggressive and WILL chew up a pack for the salt on the straps.

I do not worry about humans taking my pack. First, my pack is old and does not look very valuable. Second, most backpackers are already carrying all they want to. Third, my pack is black - not easy to see. Just camp away from the trail and you are not likely to have any problems.

My pack oubles as a day pack so I do not have to worry about it in camp since it always goes with me.

Personally, if I were worried about human theft, I simply would not backpack in that area.

#187049 - 09/09/14 10:17 PM Re: base camp gear protection [Re: mekineer]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By mekineer
Wandering Daisy: Unlikely perhaps, but I also worry about human thieves. So I want to hide it, which would mean stuffing it somewhere, or throwing branches over it, etc.

Have you guys ever tried what I suggested? I'd like to hear the failure stories.

It's more likely your car will be broken into at some trailheads than that someone will mess with your gear.

If you are worried, hang your gear a good distance away from the campsite. Just don't get lost while you are doing it, and have an unmistakable landmark to identify the spot.

#187052 - 09/10/14 09:58 AM Re: base camp gear protection [Re: Gershon]
finallyME Offline

I have never had the problem of people stealing things. That doesn't mean it isn't possible. The farther you walk, the less likely you will run into someone who will steal your stuff. Not only is there just less people, but for the most part, those people that you do see are not thieves.

That being said, if I ever leave my stuff somewhere, I just put it in the bushes. Sometimes I cover it with my camo poncho. I never leave it ON a trail, or very close by. It is always off into the woods a ways.

#187073 - 09/12/14 12:21 PM Re: base camp gear protection [Re: mekineer]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I think this is really situational, per several comments already made. On our last trip, my wife's waistbelt pouch was chewed into based on lingering food smell (but no food); I certainly agree with the comment about keeping zippers/flaps/other openings open.

Last winter some others and I went on a day hike the morning after an overnight backpack/snowshoe trip, leaving most of our stuff behind. The others all had tents and left their gear in their tents. I had slept under a tarp, and had already taken down the tarp by the time the decision was made to hike around a bit before moving on. So I put all of my things in a black plastic garbage bag and tied it shut. On return, the tents weren't touched, but my yard waste bag had been ripped open by a fox and all of my stuff strewn all over in the snow. For some reason, it seems like many/most animals see a tent as "an object" and don't bother it. I expect if the food scent was strong enough, however ...

In terms of worrying about human thieves ... I think this is quite situational again. If you're hiking scant miles from a busy trailhead on a sunny weekend, it's quite different than camping 50 miles from the nearest road, and of course there's a lot of greyscale in between those relative extremes.

On a dayhike away from a base camp, my inclination would be to leave a tent sealed with things like sleeping bag, etc inside, and certainly no food or other scented item inside. Hang food (high enough and far enough out ...) or use bear can or Ursack depending on location. If marmots or goats are known to be an issue, certainly hang gear up out of their reach.

W.r.t. the human element, the thing that sometimes makes me worry a little isn't that someone will carry my gear away on top of their own, but that they'll recognize that I have something significantly nicer and leave their, say, cheap sleeping bag behind and take my good one. It's never happened, though, and life always has some element of measured risk. What good is the nice sleeping bag if you don't get out and use it!?!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 280 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum