Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186938 - 09/02/14 02:46 PM recently did the JMT, want to improve my time
bobito9 Offline

I recently did the JMT in 20 days but I'm really concerned about how long it took me. Any advice on how I can increase my time? I'd like to be able to do it in at least 30 days, but ideally I'd like to take the whole summer.
I know that conventional advice would be to increase my packload, to slow myself down, but I have become accustomed to carrying much lighter gear in recent years and can't bring myself to give up the creature comforts this gives me (comfortable back, minimal joint pain, pain-free bunions).
I'm thinking I may have to do something radical...like quit my job.

#186940 - 09/02/14 03:01 PM Re: recently did the JMT, want to improve my time [Re: bobito9]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Assuming your post is not a tongue-and-cheek thing- Why would you do the JMT more than once? To me the JMT is just a crowded trail that gets you to places where you can then explore - off-trail or other trails to see more country. If you want to spend the summer in the Sierra, just get out a map and go all over. On the High Sierra Topix forum we have a fellow who does just that- spends the whole summer in the Sierra going to all the little nooks and crannies and does a lot of climbs too. You just have to sit down and figure out the resupply logistics. And, of course, have the time- be independently wealthy, retired, unemployed or homeless!

#186951 - 09/02/14 08:13 PM Re: recently did the JMT, want to improve my time [Re: wandering_daisy]
bobito9 Offline

well, I am being tongue-in-cheek...sort of. I just mean to say that, though I certainly did enjoy the trail ( I liken it to a necklace that strung together a bunch of beautiful pearls that I had already visited on shorter trips, or which I hope to visit in the future), for me I didn't really like pushing through and not stopping off to spend more time explore all the little side routes and untrailed canyons, or spending a day kicking back in a field of owl's clover, doing nothing but enjoying the sun on my back and the sound of the wind. No, no, instead I had to go back to work frown As you suggest, Daisy, I very much look forward to the day when I retire and can spend my whole summer meandering as I see fit, taking as much time as I feel like.
What really triggered my post was seeing some irritating article in Backpacker Mag on the virtues of someone who hiked the JMT, or the PCT, or whatever in some especially fast time, breaking it down to the very last minute it took. As though spending LESS time in nature (ie getting it done extra fast) was somehow a good thing . Ugh!
I have great respect for people who manage to do long through hikes, and I know that you can't do something like the PCT without hiking some long days, at fast paces: you have to beat the snow, for sure (or get back to work or whatever). But all the same, I am increasingly irritated with this whole emphasis that has developed on trying to be faster, do longer days, and measuring trips down to the minute is just too much. What, is it going to be an Olympic sport soon? Are we going to start having steroid scandals? Sure, you have to crank out the miles sometimes (and it can be fun), but it comes at the expense of experiencing your surroundings, IMHO.

#186959 - 09/02/14 11:09 PM Re: recently did the JMT, want to improve my time [Re: bobito9]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I think we may be a dying breed - those of us who like backpacking for the wilderness experience. There is so much emphasis nowadays on the "extreme" sports and competition. This has been going on for decades in the climbing world - now it has crept into backpacking. But, the backpacking "media" does not necessarily represent the general backpacker. Most of our trips are pretty boring - no extremes epics or dramas.

The Wind Rivers were very stormy this summer. I cut my summer short because the unsettled weather was too risky for the solo off-trail stuff I had planned for my last 8-day trip. Going into the sunny Sierra tomorrow morning!

I love the country along the JMT, but I do not like the JMT. As a "big name" trail and essentially the PCT, it gets too much use. I prefer more solitude and off-trail. There is so much more to the Sierra than the JMT! Hope you can some day soon just go out and wander around and explore at your own pace.

#186960 - 09/03/14 12:14 AM Re: recently did the JMT, want to improve my time [Re: wandering_daisy]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Researching routes for my annual "big" trip I found a beautiful 50-miler report with trail description and lots of photos in a mix of Hoover and Yosemite. Lakes! Passes! Scenery! Got to the end where he described getting to the car just at sundown and only then did I realize he was describing a one-day run.

Sigh.

#186962 - 09/03/14 12:40 AM Re: recently did the JMT, want to improve my time [Re: Rick_D]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Originally Posted By Rick_D
Researching routes for my annual "big" trip I found a beautiful 50-miler report with trail description and lots of photos in a mix of Hoover and Yosemite. Lakes! Passes! Scenery! Got to the end where he described getting to the car just at sundown and only then did I realize he was describing a one-day run.

Sigh.

I think we might have done that run...in about 8 days.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#186980 - 09/04/14 04:49 PM Re: recently did the JMT, want to improve my time [Re: bobito9]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I was lol at the end of the 3rd sentence bobito. goodjob

And again after reading Rick's. grin

I loved exploring the Sierras. I got to do a few longer stays there. Those trips were probably the best I've ever done. I just lived in the forest for the month of August. It was as close to perfect as life had ever been for me.

I think WD offers the perfect advice:

Originally Posted By WD
just get out a map and go all over

And she's right when she says a trail gets you to places where you can then explore. That is the insight that leads to truly awesome trips.

Thru hiking is a sport. What I do when backpacking isn't. It's not competitive at all. Some people think hiking off trail is extreme, but I don't consider it to be that at all. For me, that's why trails exist. They make it easier for me to get to spots where I want to get off of them. I've never thought of them to be anything but that.

It's hard to explain, but when you are a few miles from any trail or road you are generally that far away from any other person too, and there's a difference. If you are comfortable being there it is a very soothing difference. If not, it will bug the hell out of you.

For me, it is where I am most comfortable. A trail is a link to the city, and that's what I am trying to escape when I backpack.

"You want to go where?"

#187228 - 09/30/14 03:06 PM Re: recently did the JMT, want to improve my time [Re: billstephenson]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
My advice is to walk slower. smile I don't like to run in church.

The way I plan trips is to just get a map and see where I want to wander.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 328 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum