Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186681 - 08/20/14 03:09 PM Road walking - the other Backpacking/hiking
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I've been road walking for many years. I consider it as much fun as backpacking. However, I've never taken an overnight trip by road.

This September, a friend and I are planning a 47 mile (round trip) weekend to a nearby town. This is the next step in serious preparation for a much longer trek.

Since I got a pushcart, miles don't count the same as they do backpacking in the mountains. I'd say 3 miles on the road counts about the same as a mile in the mountains. Weight doesn't matter as much either.

I did some testing with a fish scale. It takes about 3 pounds of horizontal force to push a 30 pound load in the push cart.

#186690 - 08/20/14 04:56 PM Re: Road walking - the other Backpacking/hiking [Re: Gershon]
Goofytune Offline

Loc: Spokane, Washington
I used to do a lot of road walking. I called it hitch-hiking grin

#186693 - 08/20/14 06:14 PM Re: Road walking - the other Backpacking/hiking [Re: Goofytune]
Gershon Offline

Originally Posted By Goofytune
I used to do a lot of road walking. I called it hitch-hiking grin

The guy I'm going with hitchhiked across the country a couple times. He also rode his bicycle across the country. This way, we won't have to wait for a ride. smile

#186695 - 08/20/14 06:55 PM Re: Road walking - the other Backpacking/hiking [Re: Gershon]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I always hated road walking--especially cars and trucks speeding past at very close quarters--but it's what you enjoy that's important for you! cool

Had you thought of fastening that trailer to a bicycle?

Special thanks for posting in Off Topic; this section used to be quite popular but I've been seeing my school shooting thread (which I'd rather forget!) for a couple of months now!

#186699 - 08/20/14 09:57 PM Re: Road walking - the other Backpacking/hiking [Re: OregonMouse]
Gershon Offline

Most people's initial reaction is they hate road walking. It's also their final reaction. Whenever I traveled in the Air Force, I always enjoyed walking around the cities we visited and that's how I got hooked. I gave up most driving in Oct 2011 and now I only drive about 3,000 miles a year. Most of it to go backpacking. Now that I'm walking, my city seems smaller.

Traffic isn't as bad as people think it is except in some places where it is worse. It's now possible to preview routes using Google Street view.

If I fastened the trailer to a bicycle, I'd still be in the same traffic with less ability to get off the road quickly.

Anyway, I live in Pueblo, CO. The Transamerica bicycle trail passes through here and the American Discovery Trail does also. Since it's on Route 50, it's on a natural route many people take across the country. I often meet them in my wanderings, and I guess I've caught the bug. Maybe I can't go across the country, but I can do what I can.

I put it in the off-topic section because roadwalking is significantly different than backpacking or hiking. The gear is almost entirely different. People are more individual in what they wear and many things work. The part of the equation most people miss on long road trips is having a cart. Of course, having a cart, you can't mix trails and roads like on the American Discovery Trail. But I've noticed most people stop following the ADT in the first couple of states.

If one looks at history, backpacking is a subset of road walking which didn't be come popular until about 1923 when the first national forest trails started to be developed. Even then, it was mostly car camping and short hikes. It wasn't until the development of lighterweight gear and hippies that longer hikes became popular. Sure, there were people who took long backpacking trips before, but they were the exception.

Backpacking is somewhat of an escape from society. Roadwalkers see society from a different point of view.

#186700 - 08/20/14 10:38 PM Re: Road walking - the other Backpacking/hiking [Re: Gershon]
Goofytune Offline

I know what you mean. Society still confuses me most of the time. crazy

#186725 - 08/22/14 05:08 PM Re: Road walking - the other Backpacking/hiking [Re: Gershon]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Those trailers really make it easy. The bearings do a lot of the work for you, plus the big wheels help a lot. When I made a cart for my dog with one, I could put two 30lb kids in it, and the dog didn't feel a thing. Well, maybe she felt it, but it definitely didn't slow her down.

I have considered taking one of those trailers on a trail. I know a few trails that are just wide enough, and it would help me out when taking all the kids. Haven't done it yet though.

#186726 - 08/22/14 05:54 PM Re: Road walking - the other Backpacking/hiking [Re: finallyME]
Gershon Offline

I think for a trail a two wheel version you could pull would be better.

#186729 - 08/22/14 06:44 PM Re: Road walking - the other Backpacking/hiking [Re: Gershon]
Goofytune Offline

I've tried it with a two wheeler and they are a delight to pull. Until you find a rough patch! eek

#186746 - 08/23/14 11:15 AM Re: Road walking - the other Backpacking/hiking [Re: Goofytune]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I couldn't even pull a trailer over some of the spots on our local urban trail. That's not a complaint by the way. We're incredibly fortunate to have a nice recreational trail through town where I live, and I love the challenge of the steep and rough parts when I'm riding a bike; it just means I have to take a different route when I'm pushing or pulling something. In truth, I hope the city doesn't ever "develop" out these rough spots.

#186758 - 08/23/14 01:06 PM Re: Road walking - the other Backpacking/hiking [Re: 4evrplan]
Gershon Offline

I tried the push cart on a section of trail in the desert this morning. It wasn't too difficult, but it wasn't fun either. For road walking with a push cart, I think it's better to stay on a paved surface.

#186779 - 08/25/14 06:21 AM Re: Road walking - the other Backpacking/hiking [Re: Gershon]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
I just finished the book "Life on Foot" by Nate Damm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K5YVRF8/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

He walked across the US on foot from the east cost to the west coast. He started out with a backpack and switched to a cart.

Edited by GrumpyGord (08/25/14 06:52 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum