Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186659 - 08/19/14 11:43 AM 10 things I've learned leading group backpacking t
RoaringFork Offline

10 things I've learned leading group backpacking trips this summer:

1. The water bladder from your backpack makes a good pillow. If it's empty in the morning tell everyone that you had "bladder problems" in the night and need an extra couple hours to dry out your sleeping bag before you hit the trail.

2. Bring stickers that say "UNLESS YOU'RE DRINKING ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES" to put on the signs next to the lakes that say "NO FIRES."

3. Never go off the trail. Trails were designed by government experts to take you to the most scenic places. There is nothing worth seeing beyond the end of the trail.

4. Backpacking is the best way to lose weight and get in shape. Sign up for a hike rated "strenuous" if you want to shed those pounds fast!

5. Don't buy a backpack bigger than 40 liters. It's better to strap your tent, air mattress, sleeping bag, and everything else on the outside.

6. The best pictures are of the parking lot, your tent, and the burger and beer you consumed after the hike. Everyone will want to see these uploaded to the trip webpage.

7. Get out of your tent around 9am, make a few cups of coffee, and get on the trail by 11am. It's the weekend, everyone sleeps in!

8. If the group is slow, go ahead on your own! If you miss a trail junction, the group leader will be happy to run to catch you while the group waits an hour or two. Groups love to take long rest breaks!

9. Maps are like computer programs: somebody out there knows how to read them, but you don't need a map to go hiking any more than you need to know Java to use an iPhone.

10. If you don't understand something in the trip announcement, such as "bring a bearproof food container," ignore it. It's not important.

#186661 - 08/19/14 04:20 PM Re: 10 things I've learned leading group backpacking t [Re: RoaringFork]
Goofytune Offline

Loc: Spokane, Washington
Are you trying to say things got a little frustrating this summer? grin

#186663 - 08/19/14 05:34 PM Re: 10 things I've learned leading group backpacking t [Re: RoaringFork]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
lol

To split hairs: All my gear plus a week's food fits very nicely in a 40L pack plus the outside side pockets. However, I made extra sure it all fit when I bought the pack! Nothing is strapped to the outside!

#186664 - 08/19/14 05:52 PM Re: 10 things I've learned leading group backpacking t [Re: OregonMouse]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
lol

To split hairs: All my gear plus a week's food fits very nicely in a 40L pack plus the outside side pockets. However, I made extra sure it all fit when I bought the pack! Nothing is strapped to the outside!

Not even a Sierra cup?

#186665 - 08/19/14 07:13 PM Re: 10 things I've learned leading group backpacking t [Re: Gershon]
bluefish Offline

I didn't think people needed to drink in Co., anymore. Fires are an absolute necessity to stare at for well.... like forever, dude. And trail breaks are for firing up! grin
Great list.

#186672 - 08/20/14 09:26 AM Re: 10 things I've learned leading group backpacking t [Re: RoaringFork]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
<insert sheepish grin here> I am...ahem...guilty of a few of these in my earlier years and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I have since learned the error of my ways...except for music on the trail from a previous thread which actually started a rather heated discussion. needless to say, i will be using the headphones from now on...

#186674 - 08/20/14 11:17 AM Re: 10 things I've learned leading group backpacking t [Re: RoaringFork]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Laugh at me if you like, but I didn't think there was anything wrong with strapping a bedroll or whatever to the outside of a pack. Is this frowned upon?

#186676 - 08/20/14 12:02 PM Re: 10 things I've learned leading group backpacking t [Re: 4evrplan]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
I think this should be the basis of a new reality show.

It would be way more entertaining than any of the current crop...and much better than Bear Grylls, too!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#186677 - 08/20/14 12:34 PM Re: 10 things I've learned leading group backpacking t [Re: 4evrplan]
Gershon Offline

Originally Posted By 4evrplan
Laugh at me if you like, but I didn't think there was anything wrong with strapping a bedroll or whatever to the outside of a pack. Is this frowned upon?

Usually, they are strapped outside of an external frame pack. Sleeping bag on the bottom and tent on the top is how I do it. It's the Beverly Hillbillies look that is comical. I saw that with a boy scout on the last trip.

By the way, I don't care what other people do. If they want to look like an old time traveling salesman, that's their choice.

Edited by Gershon (08/20/14 12:38 PM)

#186678 - 08/20/14 02:26 PM Re: 10 things I've learned leading group backpacking t [Re: 4evrplan]
Goofytune Offline

Loc: Spokane, Washington

Not at all 4everplan. exactly what I did before I bought my infernal frame pack.

#186680 - 08/20/14 02:56 PM Re: 10 things I've learned leading group backpacking t [Re: RoaringFork]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Well, I have to admit I'm still guilty of #7 blush

"You want to go where?"

#186682 - 08/20/14 03:37 PM Re: 10 things I've learned leading group backpacking t [Re: 4evrplan]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Quote:
,,,I didn't think there was anything wrong with strapping a bedroll or whatever to the outside of a pack. Is this frowned upon?

If you have an external frame pack, that's what you're supposed to do--that's how those packs are designed! With an internal frame pack, though, strapping stuff on the outside tends to pull the pack off balance--they are designed to have everything stowed inside. Of course if you are using a closed cell foam pad, you almost have to strap it on the outside because of its bulk--but at least it's not much weight.

Stuff strapped on the outside of the pack does tend to get caught up in brush, especially if you are traveling off-trail. Small items tend to fall off and disappear. Even outside pockets can be a problem there.

I really did enjoy the OP--I'm still chuckling!

Edited by OregonMouse (08/20/14 03:40 PM)

#186684 - 08/20/14 03:59 PM Re: 10 things I've learned leading group backpacking t [Re: OregonMouse]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Ah, thanks for clearing that up, OM. You get points for the most newbie-friendly and complete answer. I have a feeling I will have to use my dad's ancient frame pack (weight?) or load a feed sack full of stuff into my Ergo like it's a baby, for my fall trip. Those of us on a tight budget make do. smile

#186689 - 08/20/14 04:34 PM Re: 10 things I've learned leading group backpacking t [Re: 4evrplan]
Gershon Offline

Ah, thanks for clearing that up, OM. You get points for the most newbie-friendly and complete answer. I have a feeling I will have to use my dad's ancient frame pack (weight?) or load a feed sack full of stuff into my Ergo like it's a baby, for my fall trip. Those of us on a tight budget make do. smile

The fancy word a feedsack pack is a Yukon pack. I used one for a couple years and it worked well. Then someone had pity on me and gave me three external frame packs.

You can make one with about three feet of 2 1/2 inch webbing and a few feet of parachute cord.

If you want to be brave, you can use your ground cloth or tarp instead of the feedsack.

#186697 - 08/20/14 07:24 PM Re: 10 things I've learned leading group backpacking t [Re: RoaringFork]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
#2 is sheer genius!

#186994 - 09/04/14 11:39 PM Re: 10 things I've learned leading group backpacking t [Re: RoaringFork]
laschke Offline

Awesome list! I love it!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum