Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186638 - 08/18/14 08:02 AM ...the making of tents....??!!
ROBBYRANDALL Offline

....I am pondering this as I sit on the 28th floor of an ultra-modern hotel overlooking Guangzhou, China. There must be people somewhere in the States that make, (or even try to), their own tents as a hobby in the garage etc. on an ancient sewing machine, and are interested in kicking off a new innovative QUALITY item project to be proud of, orientated at the US market......I am a Brit and will be over there in the autumn, fall for those of you that do not speak English correctly. (That's a joke, haha)...Surrounded by 1.2 BILLION people and factories turning out NASTY, less than mediocre products, I really despair. Before you all retreat, instantly wary of those from foreign shores, I am not asking anyone for a financial investment, just checking in the blue yonder if the right person is out there, someone proud of what they do, and with an unyielding attitude.."seek and ye shall find" ?.

Edited by ROBBYRANDALL (08/18/14 08:18 AM)

#186639 - 08/18/14 09:14 AM Re: ...the making of tents....??!! [Re: ROBBYRANDALL]
bluefish Offline

I'm not xenophobic, but I do know there's a pretty big list to choose from of cottage industry tents made in the US. I own some of the foreign made tents and am very happy with the years of service they've provided and the price point I purchased them at. You might be a few decades behind the venture capital opportunities, but good luck.

#186642 - 08/18/14 12:00 PM Re: ...the making of tents....??!! [Re: ROBBYRANDALL]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
There are a number of people in North America--and elsewhere--who do just that, selling their products on the internet rather than in stores (avoiding the necessity of a 40% retail markup). Most of my gear comes from such "cottage industries," which is where most innovative and truly lightweight gear is found. Some of these manufacturers have gone beyond the "cottage industry" stage and have become mainstream. Many sell their products overseas (especially in Europe and Australasia) as well as in the US.

Even such mainstream outfits as The North Face started in someone's basement!

#186653 - 08/19/14 02:00 AM Re: ...the making of tents....??!! [Re: OregonMouse]
ROBBYRANDALL Offline

..thanks for the info and responses, 40% ? I am in China, 40% is no-where near what the mark-ups are by the time it gets to us in the west. Anyway, I hope someone spots my request and I find someone that wants to sink their teeth, sewing machine and spare room in the garage into something new and not seen before......!!

#186657 - 08/19/14 10:07 AM Re: ...the making of tents....??!! [Re: ROBBYRANDALL]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
You may have missed the point of the last 2 post, there already is a glut of guys making tents out of their garages here in the US.
http://www.tarptent.com/index.html
http://www.zpacks.com
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/index.php
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tarps/WildOasis.html
http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com
To name a few

Edited by rockchucker22 (08/19/14 10:18 PM)

#186658 - 08/19/14 11:37 AM Re: ...the making of tents....??!! [Re: rockchucker22]
ROBBYRANDALL Offline

...yes, thanks for that. I was aware of them, but as I mentioned, mine is a new unprecedented idea, and I am looking for the right person interested in getting in on the ground floor, not someone already established.

#186666 - 08/19/14 09:23 PM Re: ...the making of tents....??!! [Re: ROBBYRANDALL]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Show it to us... cool

"You want to go where?"

#186667 - 08/19/14 11:25 PM Re: ...the making of tents....??!! [Re: billstephenson]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
"Show it to us."

Spoken like a true citizen of Missouri.

#186671 - 08/20/14 08:56 AM Re: ...the making of tents....??!! [Re: Glenn Roberts]
bluefish Offline

Ah... the pitch for the buy-in. You'd have made a better impression pondering on a remote mountain rather than the 28th floor.
Some of your background backpacking in the wilderness, that allowed you to test and perfect your design(s), was more appropriate for this venue. Love Bill's comment. Missouri's nickname is the "Show Me" state if you didn't get the reference.
Without your C.V. in the wilderness, that's the best thing to do. Give us a design synopsis or a drawing and if it has merit, someone may just jump on board. If not, all smoke and mirrors.

#186673 - 08/20/14 10:16 AM Re: ...the making of tents....??!! [Re: bluefish]
AdventureMyk Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Unfortunately there are so many scams and such running every day that even the most legitimate can seem less than honest. In this day and age people want to see something tangible before they part with the money they work hard to earn.

#186705 - 08/21/14 08:29 AM Re: ...the making of tents....??!! [Re: AdventureMyk]
ROBBYRANDALL Offline

......all valid points....yes, we have gotten to the interesting point, "show us what it is"....well, hardly am I going to publish on a public forum an unprecedented idea that is still not patented? Suffice to say, two Chinese manufacturers were quite congratulatory yesterday when I outlined a manufacturing query orientated at my idea...( got to be damned careful with them too for certain, they would copy it given half a chance) ...! (careful Bluefish, I am a die-hard fisherman).Just to re-iterate, I do NOT need any funding from anyone.

Edited by ROBBYRANDALL (08/21/14 08:31 AM)

#186706 - 08/21/14 10:16 AM Re: ...the making of tents....??!! [Re: ROBBYRANDALL]
NapalmMan67 Offline

Loc: IL
I was thinking of this the other day after I read your initial post. This seems along the lines of what you're seeking.

Should be able to get you heading in the right direction? Good luck!

http://www.idea4invention.com/

#186709 - 08/21/14 06:06 PM Re: ...the making of tents....??!! [Re: ROBBYRANDALL]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By ROBBYRANDALL
......all valid points....yes, we have gotten to the interesting point, "show us what it is"....well, hardly am I going to publish on a public forum an unprecedented idea that is still not patented? Suffice to say, two Chinese manufacturers were quite congratulatory yesterday when I outlined a manufacturing query orientated at my idea...( got to be damned careful with them too for certain, they would copy it given half a chance) ...! (careful Bluefish, I am a die-hard fisherman).Just to re-iterate, I do NOT need any funding from anyone.

If you've applied for a patent you're as protected as you'll ever be.

You know, you haven't even told us what problem we have with our tents that you've solved, much less told us how, and you've declined to show us, yet you want our help making them?

I need a bit more inspiration.

"You want to go where?"

#186766 - 08/24/14 10:44 AM Re: ...the making of tents....??!! [Re: billstephenson]
ROBBYRANDALL Offline

....I have not come across any problems with your tents, I have found a way of making a certain product MUCH simpler and better.It is related to recreational camping with vehicles, weight does not matter much here in this specific concept. By the way, in SE Asia, copyright to them means "we have a right to copy" haha.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum