Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186615 - 08/16/14 05:55 AM Day hiking apparel
asarkar Offline

I'm a serious amateur landscape photographer who travels only for photography. I'm looking to get more serious about the clothing I wear on day hikes (5 mi around). Any suggestions? Lightweight and weather resistant to some extent are the main criteria.

#186616 - 08/16/14 08:37 AM Re: Day hiking apparel [Re: asarkar]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi,

I found your Facebook page and see many of your pictures are in the Smokies. Rain is common there, so I suggest having good raingear. For the top, something like the Marmot Precip will work well. Any equivalent rain jacket will work. For the bottom, inexpensive rain pants will work well.

I gave up on hiking pants as they are too expensive and don't last long. I prefer cotton or a synthetic/cotton blend cargo pants. If I were in a situation where it rained often, I'd wear any lightweight synthetic pants that were inexpensive.

A fleece is comfortable for a wide range of temperatures. I have a North Face, but there is nothing special about it. Any similar fleece will work. The advantage to a fleece is they are still warm when they get damp. I haven't tried one soaking wet. They also dry quickly.

Any shirt will do. I prefer a cotton/synthetic blend or cotton. Synthetic shirts stink in hot weather. The disadvantage to cotton is it is cold when wet if it's the outer layer.

I also see you take many pictures in the cities. I often roadwalk. Recently, I got a Schinn Little Ranger pushcart. It is easier than carrying a pack with heavy gear. If you are on busy sidewalks, a baby jogger will work better as it's narrower. I recommend one with a rotating front wheel so it's easy to steer. You can use it to carry all your cameras and some extra clothes. You can usually find an inexpensive used baby jogger on Craigslist. Check the thrift stores, too.

There is no perfect answer to your question. I see people wearing all kinds of clothes in the Colorado mountains. For the distances you are hiking, I suggest wearing what you like and experimenting to see what works for you. The more experience you get, the less you will look like everyone else.

#186621 - 08/16/14 06:52 PM Re: Day hiking apparel [Re: Gershon]
asarkar Offline

Thank you Gershon. I've been to the Smokies a few times but I've been to several other national parks as well. In fact, my question is in preparation of a photo trip to the Glacier NP.

#186632 - 08/17/14 09:10 PM Re: Day hiking apparel [Re: asarkar]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
For a park like Glacier, you should take a small backpack with you.

Wear a lightweight long-sleeved hiking shirt (covers you from the sun, keeps you more or less cool) and I like zip off pants that can change from shorts to long pants easily.

IN the pack, take a rain shell or poncho, and some kind of fleece that can keep you warmer.

And take a look at a good list of ten things to take on a day hike...make sure you have a really good reason to leave any of those things behind!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#186637 - 08/18/14 06:42 AM Re: Day hiking apparel [Re: balzaccom]
Gershon Offline

A big part of knowing what to wear is knowing what the weather will be like. I've found this to be the best site for weather forecasts.

Click on wundermaps in the upper right hand corner so you can see where the weather station is. In mountainous areas, it's usually in a nearby town at low altitude. I usually pack one layer more than I need for the expected temperature unless it's a short hike. Historical weather is also available on this site making it easy to plan trips in the future.

If you are going on anything but tourist trails, I suggest leaving a good itinerary with a friend. I use email for this. Include pictures of yourself wearing the clothes you will be wearing. Also include a picture of your car showing the license plate. I use email because it's easy to forward to search and rescue if needed.

#186640 - 08/18/14 10:27 AM Re: Day hiking apparel [Re: asarkar]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Best way to stay equipped for whatever mother nature throws at you is:

1 - Wear moisture wicking clothing, especially base layers. Nothing says backwoods discomfort more than unwelcomed sweat. In cold weather, a sweaty day-hike can easily become an overnight survival situation. The last thing you want is wet clothes.

2 - Layers, Layers Layers. In the summertime, my wardrobe is usually 2 layers, 1 worn and 1 handy. In addition to this, I will have a rain shell. In spring, fall and winter, I am usually wearing 2, sometimes 3, layers with a fleece and a shell handy. With multiple layers, you have several combinations to switch between to find your comfort zone.

Plan for worst case scenario - on a day hike, if you rolled an ankle and were forced to spend the night in the woods, what is the bare minimum you would need to survive?

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail...happy trails!

#186643 - 08/18/14 12:05 PM Re: Day hiking apparel [Re: asarkar]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge

#186644 - 08/18/14 01:24 PM Re: Day hiking apparel [Re: asarkar]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By asarkar
Thank you Gershon. I've been to the Smokies a few times but I've been to several other national parks as well. In fact, my question is in preparation of a photo trip to the Glacier NP.

Which hikes in Glacier are you considering? I would highly recommend Hike 734 Day Hikers Map.

#186645 - 08/18/14 02:27 PM Re: Day hiking apparel [Re: OregonMouse]
Gershon Offline

I don't see coffee on the list.

#186647 - 08/18/14 02:47 PM Re: Day hiking apparel [Re: Gershon]
Goofytune Offline

Loc: Spokane, Washington
I'm starting to think I might not be civilized enough for this crowd. crazy

For me, a day hike means I only carry a water bottle, poncho, and lunch. And clothes are whatever I have on at the time. Why carry a bunch of stuff I probably won't use and is sure to weigh me down? smile

#186648 - 08/18/14 03:17 PM Re: Day hiking apparel [Re: Goofytune]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
The ten essentials are like insurance: you don't want to carry them; you hope you won't need them; but if things go off-plan, you're glad to have them.

#186649 - 08/18/14 04:03 PM Re: Day hiking apparel [Re: Goofytune]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
You read these horror stories about hikers dying from exposure when unforeseen circumstances forced them to spend a night in the woods. The feel good stories of survival are usually a result of a combination of being prepared with bare essentials and a stroke of good luck. The sad stories are a result of poor preparation and/or bad luck.

Chance favors the prepared.

#186650 - 08/18/14 04:14 PM Re: Day hiking apparel [Re: asarkar]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Originally Posted By asarkar
I'm a serious amateur landscape photographer who travels only for photography. I'm looking to get more serious about the clothing I wear on day hikes (5 mi around). Any suggestions? Lightweight and weather resistant to some extent are the main criteria.

My basics, whether day-hiking or backpacking, are wicking tshirt and underwear, brush-resistant nylon pants with good DWR finish and adequate pockets, hat or cap. And I carry extra layers: warm LS wicking tshirt, lightweight wind shirt, insulated mid-layer (e.g., fiberfill jacket or vest), rain jacket. The combo will take me from sunny and warm to below freezing and snow. If rain is expected, a poncho will protect me and my pack.

IMHO it needn't be more complicated than that, and most trips the extra layers stay in the pack.

Cheers,

#186651 - 08/18/14 08:45 PM Re: Day hiking apparel [Re: Goofytune]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
That "bunch of stuff" is basically insurance. It doesn't have to weigh a lot, either--mine is pretty minimal. As mentioned, when things go awry and you're stuck out overnight, having the "bunch of stuff" means all the difference between coming out alive (even if not comfortable) and becoming a major emergency.

#186652 - 08/19/14 12:49 AM Re: Day hiking apparel [Re: OregonMouse]
Goofytune Offline

Loc: Spokane, Washington
I gotta admit that I do sometimes forget that not everybody is comfortable with primitive type skills and probably do need modern ways of dealing with the unexpected. Sorry if I insulted anyone. blush

I guess I've spent too many years of my life living out of a bag for my own good. It sure don't make me fit company for civilized folks. grin

#186656 - 08/19/14 09:30 AM Re: Day hiking apparel [Re: asarkar]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Around 5 miles.....
I play a lot of disc golf, and also manage a nature preserve with about 6 mi. of trails. I walk a lot, rain or shine.
I tend to wear what is comfortable for the season. Jeans (gasp!) in cooler weather, especially when doing trail maintenance. Cotton cargo or synthetic athletic shorts in warmer weather. Even swimming trunks! Plain old cotton T-shirts or the coolmax knock-offs from Walmart ($7). Never anything exotic. Shoes are always trail runners unless boots are required for foot protection, usually when doing trail maintenance. I used to wear sandals but gave up on them because of sticks jabbing through.
If weather looks like rain, a simple lightweight poncho in the daypack is all I bring. In the hot Texas summer, nothing....getting wet is a blessing.
So, for the distances you mention, wear whatever you feel comfortable in for a walk around your neighborhood. I do, almost always, have a hiking pole....re-tasked ski pole or trekking pole. That will save twisted ankles.
The only time my attire becomes "semi-exotic" (i'm cheap) is when going overnight, long distances, or travelling. Then I go for light weight and multi-day wearability.

#186660 - 08/19/14 03:13 PM Re: Day hiking apparel [Re: Goofytune]
snapper Offline

Loc: NY
I firmly believe that knowing a certain level of bushcraft skills is a great set of tools in your emergency toolbox but think about it...it takes hours to make an adequate overnight shelter that will protect you from the elements. A tarp can be pitched in 10 minutes or less; especially with practice. Being able to make a fire with a bow drill or flint & steel is another admirable trait but they can still be time consuming. Having a good lighter, candle stub or other fire starter in your pack is just easier. In any type of emergency situation the more you can conserve your energy, the better off you'll be. Just my two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Edited by snapper (08/19/14 03:14 PM)

#186701 - 08/21/14 12:20 AM Re: Day hiking apparel [Re: asarkar]
asarkar Offline

This is what I'm packing:
  • Base: Mountain hardwear double wicked long sleeve T
  • Jacket: Patagonia R1 full-zip fleece jacket
  • Pants: Columbia silver ridge convertible pants
  • Shirt: None
  • Rain jacket and pants: Columbia. Looks like granny's old housecoat but who cares?
  • Gloves: REI tech-compatible all-season gloves
  • Shoes: Salomon Men's XT Wings 3 Trail Running Shoes
  • Hat: REI Paddlers Hat
  • Socks: SmartWool hiking ultra light mini socks
  • Underwear: ExOfficio Give-N-Go mesh boxer brief
  • Headlamp, whistle, compass/thermometer, first Aid, medicine, insect Repellent, bear spray

My "backpack" is a camera bag so whatever I'll not be wearing, I'll be hanging in a gym bag or something.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum