Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186235 - 07/22/14 11:35 AM Coffee & Caviar - a summer overnight belt
susannewilli Offline

Loc: Bayern
I really wanted to change up a gear and make a load out for summer that fits on a belt.

But all the belts I found were either too chunky and uncomfortable to carry or they would flop over under the load.

Then I came across Alpenlore's Guide Belt and realised it was the very thing.

It is a webbing belt that has a large amount of high tension cord wrapped around it like a paracord bracelet.

This means that you can use it to hang any number of things on it.

The belt can also be dismantled and used as a ultra-lightweight harness.

In this video I show the whole load out.

If you are going to carry weight, make it yummy food or toys, right?

(I hope this is ok with the rules of this forum, if not please let me know and I will instantly adjust...)

Edited by susannewilli (07/22/14 11:37 AM)

#186238 - 07/22/14 08:22 PM Re: Coffee & Caviar - a summer overnight belt [Re: susannewilli]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
That's too hardcore for me! smile Nice load out.

#186240 - 07/23/14 06:42 AM Re: Coffee & Caviar - a summer overnight belt [Re: ETSU Pride]
susannewilli Offline

Originally Posted By ETSU Pride
That's too hardcore for me! smile Nice load out.

Man come on....you saw how cozy that was... you would rock this setup...

cool

#186241 - 07/23/14 11:11 AM Re: Coffee & Caviar - a summer overnight belt [Re: susannewilli]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Susanne, are you sleeping on roots with no pad? shocked

#186249 - 07/23/14 02:28 PM Re: Coffee & Caviar - a summer overnight belt [Re: 4evrplan]
bluefish Offline

For me , sleeping with no pad would be good in a set up like that. The pain and discomfort would take my mind off the mosquitos eating me alive. grin My days of roughing it are over. Thanks for the video, it was entertaining, if not enlightening.

#186250 - 07/23/14 02:30 PM Re: Coffee & Caviar - a summer overnight belt [Re: 4evrplan]
susannewilli Offline

Originally Posted By 4evrplan
Susanne, are you sleeping on roots with no pad? shocked

Oh no indeed. The ground in this location is deeep moss. Everywhere.

Better than my matress at home.

Just need a damp barrier...

Awesome place.

#186251 - 07/23/14 02:31 PM Re: Coffee & Caviar - a summer overnight belt [Re: bluefish]
susannewilli Offline

Originally Posted By bluefish
For me , sleeping with no pad would be good in a set up like that. The pain and discomfort would take my mind off the mosquitos eating me alive. grin My days of roughing it are over. Thanks for the video, it was entertaining, if not enlightening.

Nope. No suffering here at all. None.

cool

#186252 - 07/23/14 03:57 PM Re: Coffee & Caviar - a summer overnight belt [Re: susannewilli]
bluefish Offline

Just saying it wouldn't work for me in the majority of places I backpack. I'm sure it works for you, otherwise you wouldn't have videoed it. thanks

#186253 - 07/23/14 05:49 PM Re: Coffee & Caviar - a summer overnight belt [Re: bluefish]
susannewilli Offline

Originally Posted By bluefish
Just saying it wouldn't work for me in the majority of places I backpack. I'm sure it works for you, otherwise you wouldn't have videoed it. thanks

Indeed so.

In fact if I was not sure of the ground then I would sling my little Ticket to the Moon hammock. I would lose the plash palatka in favour of a bit of DWR to help keep the chill/wind off, and that with the loden is a very light bedroll.

The other thing I do is to use a DWR Nylon Bedsack.

Imagine a Bag of DWR... you could potentially get inside but the much more useful method is to stuff it in order to get a lovely matress.

Elsewise - Grab some string and some logs and made a quick raised string bed...very comfy. I use that in the winter a lot...

or

Edited by susannewilli (07/23/14 05:53 PM)

#186273 - 07/24/14 01:36 PM Re: Coffee & Caviar - a summer overnight belt [Re: susannewilli]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
You might like the campfire tent I made from "emergency blankets". It's a UL backpacking tent based on the bushcraft "Super Shelter" and an old fashion "Baker's Tent".

It's a lot easier and faster to set up than a "Super Shelter", more efficient at trapping heat, and very roomy inside. It's also very easy to make. There's no sewing required, it's taped together, and it cost less than $35 for all the materials.

It's also pretty durable. I've tested this one pretty extensively over two years and made a few repairs with duct tape but it's still holding up and will be used again this coming season.

Here's a link to the discussion we had when I decided to make it, here are some more photos, and here's a very short video of it in use:

"You want to go where?"

#186275 - 07/24/14 01:59 PM Re: Coffee & Caviar - a summer overnight belt [Re: billstephenson]
susannewilli Offline

Originally Posted By billstephenson
You might like the campfire tent I made from "emergency blankets". It's a UL backpacking tent based on the bushcraft "Super Shelter" and an old fashion "Baker's Tent".

It's a lot easier and faster to set up than a "Super Shelter", more efficient at trapping heat, and very roomy inside. It's also very easy to make. There's no sewing required, it's taped together, and it cost less than $35 for all the materials.

It's also pretty durable. I've tested this one pretty extensively over two years and made a few repairs with duct tape but it's still holding up and will be used again this coming season.

Here's a link to the discussion we had when I decided to make it, here are some more photos, and here's a very short video of it in use:

Oh THIS IS COOL..

I am building one for SURE.

WOW.
Just
W.O.W...

Brilliant.

What thickness of visqueen did you use?

awesomeawesomeawesome...

Edited by susannewilli (07/24/14 02:04 PM)

#186280 - 07/24/14 10:28 PM Re: Coffee & Caviar - a summer overnight belt [Re: susannewilli]
billstephenson Offline

Thank you!

After testing a few different thicknesses I used 2 mil visqueen for the front panel. It's plenty strong enough and doesn't get too stiff when cold.

One downside is it will build up condensation overnight when it's wet out and you have the front panel closed. I imagine some vents near the top would help reduce that a lot, but I've not put any in mine yet. It dries quick if you get a fire going. You can even dry wet clothes in it pretty quickly, so it's not been a issue that's bothered me.

I think this tent matches your style of camping perfectly and you'd probably love it as much as I do. If you make one, you'll be the only other person I know that has one, and from what I've seen in your videos that won't bother you a bit. wink

I'd be glad to share what I've learned in more detail. There's certainly room for improvement and innovation in the concept, which is still pretty new. I've seen a few other tents made with the SOL emergency blankets, but they weren't designed to be used with a campfire. And I've seen a lot of variations on the "Super Shelter", which is truly ingenious, but they've all focused on the bush crafting method of building one.

I see this as the inevitable direction for these too approaches and after giving it a lot of thought the simplicity of the Bakers Tent design is hard to improve upon, but you really have to use one to truly appreciate it. It'd be hard for me to use anything else now.

"You want to go where?"

#186281 - 07/25/14 10:01 AM Re: Coffee & Caviar - a summer overnight belt [Re: billstephenson]
susannewilli Offline

Originally Posted By billstephenson
Thank you!

After testing a few different thicknesses I used 2 mil visqueen for the front panel. It's plenty strong enough and doesn't get too stiff when cold.

One downside is it will build up condensation overnight when it's wet out and you have the front panel closed. I imagine some vents near the top would help reduce that a lot, but I've not put any in mine yet. It dries quick if you get a fire going. You can even dry wet clothes in it pretty quickly, so it's not been a issue that's bothered me.

I think this tent matches your style of camping perfectly and you'd probably love it as much as I do. If you make one, you'll be the only other person I know that has one, and from what I've seen in your videos that won't bother you a bit. wink

I'd be glad to share what I've learned in more detail. There's certainly room for improvement and innovation in the concept, which is still pretty new. I've seen a few other tents made with the SOL emergency blankets, but they weren't designed to be used with a campfire. And I've seen a lot of variations on the "Super Shelter", which is truly ingenious, but they've all focused on the bush crafting method of building one.

I see this as the inevitable direction for these too approaches and after giving it a lot of thought the simplicity of the Bakers Tent design is hard to improve upon, but you really have to use one to truly appreciate it. It'd be hard for me to use anything else now.

Awesome. I am building it.

That is all there is to it...

#186289 - 07/25/14 03:30 PM Re: Coffee & Caviar - a summer overnight belt [Re: susannewilli]
bluefish Offline

Bill, were you burning hardwood? Most of the places I go in the winter are in pine and hemlock, which throw lots of sparks and burns quickly. I'm thinking more in lines of something like the SOL tarp shelter (I've slept under one twice this summer) with Suzanne's fire blanket fireplace. Suzanne, what brand of blanket is that?- some won't last a continuous fire. Or if you know the specific material? Thanks.

#186296 - 07/25/14 10:10 PM Re: Coffee & Caviar - a summer overnight belt [Re: bluefish]
billstephenson Offline

Yes, the Ozarks are filled with hardwoods. There are still some stands of pine, but it's mostly hardwood.

The fireplace blanket can be made with fiberglass cloth. You can buy it at auto parts stores or auto body supply stores. In the olden days when I welded steel we had an asbestos blanket, and they'd work great too but I doubt you can still buy them. eek

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum