Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186219 - 07/20/14 06:54 PM My tent situation - please help.
NWY Offline

Hello BP.net
I'm going to see how far I can travel from wednesday with around $1400.
I'm starting here where I live (Denmark), and I'll make my way down to Spain, then I'll see what happens. My question is regarding camping in a tent - I've bought a Agnes Lone Spring 1 (I think, that is what it is called), which is quite small and only 1.5kg and fits perfectly in my 70L backpack.
Now, my questions..

Do I need a sleeping mat / sleeping pad / something to lay on?
I feel like it'd take up quite a lot of space, but this will be my first time backpacking so I'm not sure at all.

Is it dangerous to camp in a tent alone?
I'm referring to humans here, I've seen my share of russian gore, where they go to the forest and smash homeless peoples head in with hammers.. I'm pretty paranoid about this, but I don't think stuff like ^ that usually happens - hopefully not.

I hope you'll answer my questions!
Thanks smile

#186221 - 07/20/14 10:02 PM Re: My tent situation - please help. [Re: NWY]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
We probably can't answer Europe specific questions about where it is safe to camp in Western Europe. You'd be better off consulting with the authorities (police/hiking guides) in the areas you wish to camp in.

In backcountry areas here in the United States, person vs. person crime is rare.

Technically, you'll want a foam sleeping pad to insulate yourself from the ground. Your sleeping bag will only keep you warm on the top because you compress the insulation under your body when you sleep.

#186223 - 07/20/14 10:04 PM Re: My tent situation - please help. [Re: NWY]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Quote:
Do I need a sleeping mat / sleeping pad / something to lay on?

Depends. A good pad will be more comfortable for most people but it kind of depends on the ground you'll be sleeping on, and the temperatures. Most of us here use them and you can get some pretty small ones, but a good, small, and lightweight mat can be a bit expensive. An inexpensive CCF (closed cell foam) mat can be tied to the outside of your pack though, and they don't weigh much.

As far as camping in a tent being dangerous goes, we don't have many Russian head smashers here in the U.S. but we do have our share of psychotic axe murderers. They mostly go after high schools kids who sneak off to their parents vacations cabins in the forest though, not so much for backpackers in tents. grin

Seriously, I've never heard of anyone being attacked by a stranger while they were backpacking here in the U.S. I suppose it has happened, but I can't recall ever hearing about it.

What you're doing is probably different than what we call "Backpacking" though. What we do is head off into a wilderness area where there aren't many (if any) roads or homes or stores at all nearby and the only people we generally see are other backpackers or day hikers. We'd call what you're doing a "Road Trip", which we mostly do by car, motorcycle, or bicycle, and rarely on foot.

Sure sounds like a lot of fun. I'd love to see a Trip Report from you and photos would be awesome!!

"You want to go where?"

#186224 - 07/21/14 06:13 AM Re: My tent situation - please help. [Re: billstephenson]
NWY Offline

It seems like I have to go buy a pad. Are those JR gear mummy things any good?
And yeah, should be a lot of fun.
I haven't really considered walking boots, I have a pair of Nike flyknits lunar +1, and they're super lightweight and good when I get to the hot countries because my feet can breath through them.
Thanks all of you smile
The axe slaughtering made me laugh haha.

#186225 - 07/21/14 07:39 AM Re: My tent situation - please help. [Re: NWY]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
When we hear of this type of trip, we think of walking. You may be talking about using trains and other forms of transportation.

I don't use a pad. The best way to find out if you need one is to sleep outside without one and see what happens.

It's late in the planning to ask about sleeping outside. The only fear I would have in the United States is from law enforcement. To avoid detection, make camp after dark and break camp before sunrise. Don't use any lights.

Cross-country walkers often ask people if there is a place they can set up a tent for the night. In the United States, people often invite them to their homes. It's possible to cross the United States on foot with almost no money as people want to contribute to the adventure. With some practice I think a person could end up with more money than they started with.

Your trip seems to be a spur of the moment adventure. These are frequently successful, so enjoy the trip and have fun with whatever happens. Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done. It can be done because others have done it.

#186229 - 07/21/14 04:18 PM Re: My tent situation - please help. [Re: Gershon]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
It's hard to know what advice to give for European travel, having never been there or researched it. However, I read a tip from an experienced stealth camper that in the States, it's good to ask the fire department for good inconspicuous camping spots. Take with a grain of salt. Is that a recognized saying in other countries? In other words, don't be overly trusting of this advice. It might not work very well, but try it out if you're inclined to.

#186231 - 07/21/14 11:22 PM Re: My tent situation - please help. [Re: 4evrplan]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By 4evrplan
It's hard to know what advice to give for European travel, having never been there or researched it. However, I read a tip from an experienced stealth camper that in the States, it's good to ask the fire department for good inconspicuous camping spots. Take with a grain of salt. Is that a recognized saying in other countries? In other words, don't be overly trusting of this advice. It might not work very well, but try it out if you're inclined to.

I agree it is difficult to give advice for Europe. I've heard in Sweden it's legal to camp anywhere on public property, but hearing is different than experiencing.

I've heard the fire department tip before, but in many small towns it's hard to find the fire department. One hiker in the United States would call ahead to the police. This would mean having a smart phone or something to find the number. It would be helpful to have someone at home researching ahead for these things.

I'm reading another book where the guy just found a place where he stopped. There are plenty of shadows to sleep in. My opinion is a couple miles outside of town is best. I wouldn't camp in cities large enough to have an anti-camping ordinance.

Really, the way to find out is to go experience it on a practice trip. There is nothing like a short trip a week or so long to learn what works. Hikers talk about quickly getting over the fear of stealth camping. Nobody is going to look in the shadows of a random spot outside of town.

On a side note, the pack can be the same as backpacking, or it can be different. Many recommend having clean clothes to put on when entering a city with the purpose of finding a place to stay. Some travel with a cart and 100 pounds of gear. One guy did it with a pack that weighed less than 20 pounds including the tent. He discarded the tent along the way. Water is the biggest constraint along the way, and for some stretches it will be necessary to have a cart or support.

The final solution will be as varied as the number of people taking a road walk. All one can do is read as much as they can to get ideas and go. Another method is to go and learn on the fly. I prefer the "4evrplan" method and I have my entire route planned. It's loaded on my Kindle. I also have paper maps for each segment. I have them in files in my email and can print each segment as I get nearer to it.

#186237 - 07/22/14 01:29 PM Re: My tent situation - please help. [Re: NWY]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
As a moderator, I do have to warn you that this site is about backpacking as wilderness trekking, not "backpacking" as budget travel. In other words, you won't get the up-to-date info here that you'd get from a budget travel site such as Lonely Planet.

Last time I was in Europe (13 years ago), I found that "wild camping" had become pretty well forbidden--certainly in France and Germany. Places I'd camped wild in previous years and revisted all had big signs--"camping interdit" or "camping verboten." I ended up in regular campgrounds, generally a lot cheaper than hostels and featuring free showers and a truck from the local bakery arriving with morning coffee and croissants (not free, but the same as in the bakery--and in some cases the coffee, provided by the campground, was free). You can, of course, ask a local landowner for permission. Most Scandinavian countries (I don't know if that includes Denmark), I understand, still have the "camp wild anywhere" policy. I don't know about Spain because I didn't try to camp there.

At one campground (Colmar, France), the Bremen (Germany) motorcycle club arrived about midnight and camped right next to me and my daughter. We didn't even know about their arrival until the next morning, they were so quiet. Had this happened in the US, the whole campground (and the nearby neighborhood) would have been awakened by the racket!

I never had any problems, as a woman camping alone. Of course, things may have changed….

Enjoy your trip!

Edited by OregonMouse (07/22/14 01:33 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum