Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184322 - 04/07/14 11:26 AM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: throwinglead]
Hawke Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
My favorite is instant Vietnamese coffee. I prefer Vinacafe brand. Easy, already has cream & sugar in there, small, light, and makes a delicious cuppa! You can get them at this link, or in large packages at your local asian market.

Packit Gourmet

Edited by Hawke (04/07/14 11:26 AM)

#185006 - 05/10/14 12:27 AM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: Hawke]
bobito9 Offline

I opt for 2 packets Via plus about 1/2 packet of Nestles.
But for ease, you can always swallow a No-Doz and suck on a coffee candy:)

#185688 - 06/11/14 04:11 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: bobito9]
PEARL DRUMS Offline

Loc: Central Michigan
Folgers makes regular ground coffee in pouches, exactly like tea bags. Its every bit as good as brewed at home coffee and its not instant. It takes (2) pouches in a 12 oz cup. Ive eliminated all my cooking stuff as a result. I carry a 12 oz Ti cup, very small water pot and a long Ti spoon. That's it. Like you, I LIVE for my morning coffee and perculator's are heavy, slow and a pain. Instant mixable coffee doesn't suit my tastes either.

#185690 - 06/11/14 10:17 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: PEARL DRUMS]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
One of my camping buddies makes his own using fresh ground coffee and coffee filters. He puts a tablespoon of coffee in a filter and folds and staples it. I might give that a shot one of these days.

"You want to go where?"

#185691 - 06/12/14 01:11 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: billstephenson]
PEARL DRUMS Offline

Loc: Central Michigan
The Folgers pouches are cheap enough Bill, but I like the idea of making my own. Ill have to try that as well.

#186076 - 07/07/14 07:45 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: jbylake]
bobito9 Offline

For shorter trips I always bring frsh coffee (usually Peet's) and brew it with a filter. However, for longer trips I bring instant and to help with the so-so flavor, I put in a half packet of hot chocolate (normally I never sweeten coffee)
However, I'm heading out on the JMT this summer and I have hit upon a new idea for flavoring the coffee (don't laugh!): I'm going to dissolve a spoonful of Nutella in it: chocolate, sugar, protein, and a dose of fat. I tried it and it isn't bad. A nice little calorie kick. I'm also switching from Starbucks instant to Megdalia d'Oro, an instant expresso. I can't say for sure that it tastes better than Starbucks, but it's pretty good and a lot cheaper.
By the way, my brother, in his "normal" daily life , likes to dissolve a Milky Way bar in his coffee, and then add non-dairy creamer. Ugh! But it might taste good to me out on the trail if I had it:)

#186095 - 07/08/14 08:21 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: bobito9]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I've mixed instant hot chocolate (swiss miss dark), instant coffee (nescafe french roast), and instant milk (nido) and that's pretty good too.

Lately I've been bringing all three of those. I don't always drink the hot chocolate but I like having it with me. It's a comfort food and I'm sure I'd feel better having it with me if I got stuck. blush

"You want to go where?"

#186469 - 08/06/14 10:48 AM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: Hawke]
Bil03 Offline

Loc: wyoming

Now that I have to try !

#190662 - 05/24/15 05:56 AM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: jbylake]
Honas Offline

I am a coffee fiend! I started out with Starbucks viA, but it just didn't have the kick. I try to keep my base weight under 15 pounds but I will sacrifice the weight for coffee and now I bring an Aerochino. It is basically a French press.Check it out on Amazon!

#190990 - 06/17/15 11:49 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: jbylake]
bob1900 Offline

now i prefer fresh juice

#194007 - 03/02/16 03:43 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: jbylake]
AlanL Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Here is an interesting read on backpacking coffee.
https://backpackinglight.com/coffee_beautiful_cup/

As for me.
When backpacking I usualy make Coffee for 3-4 people. I use the Maxwel House Filter Packs. I boil water then just let the pouch steep for a bit. It's not great... but its not bad. Easy for a small group.

#195984 - 06/29/16 11:44 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: jbylake]
rodwha Offline

Loc: Texas...for now
I haven't found an instant coffee in dark roast or one that would do. Instead we have tea bags meant for loose tea and I use them for my coffee. Works quite well and I'm happy, especially as I like it a bit strong as well.

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

#195986 - 06/30/16 09:20 AM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: rodwha]
Zuuk Offline

Loc: NB, Canada
I'm not an instant coffee person myself, but I do drink lots of coffee. Drip filter, french press, lattes, cappuccinos, etc. One thing that I found was good for instant coffee (for my tastes) was micro ground packets. The ones I've had were from Starbucks, and to me it was more like "real" coffee than the instant versions. I think Starbucks ones were sold as VIA, or something like that. It's been a few years since I had some, so not sure they even sell it. I've seen it sold in grocery stores here in Canada too, so there may be other brands that might work. Basically, from what I gather, it's coffee beans ground up really really fine, that you end up drinking the grounds and don't notice it. It's like a fine powder consistency. That might fall under the "gourmet" camp coffee.

oops, just noticed someone else also mentioned the VIA earlier.

I wonder if you ground up whole beans really fine, if you could then mortise & pestle them fine enough to act like the micro grind VIA does, and then you could buy whole beans in the kind that you like. I should buy a m&p and try it.

Edited by Zuuk (06/30/16 09:24 AM)

#195987 - 06/30/16 10:50 AM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: Zuuk]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
It might be possible to grind coffee fine enough with mortar and pestle. I have used the blade type coffee grinders, which aren't very good for grinding coffee, to make flours from grains. It might be possible to grind coffee fine enough with a blade grinder, but probably not. The process for making chocolate from cocoa beans uses a roller grinder and is called conching. This process is used to make Coffee Thins. Coffee Thins look like chocolate, but they are coffee and (probably) cocoa butter. Small roller mills are used in India to grind spices and they occasionally show up here in the US. I think that these roller mills might also be used to grind pigment for paint. If you can find one, they are pretty pricey. A mortar and pestle and some persistance might be the simplest way to make micro fine coffee. I have wanted to mix coffee and dark chocolate with almonds to make a breakfast bar, but the coffee always seems to be gritty. There are chocolate covered coffee beans made for snacks, but I've never tried the commercial ones and mine did not turn out so well.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum